Which South East Asian city is best to invest in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyk2

What? Where? When? How? (and why?)

care to discuss why your preference to malaysia?
i would like to see things from different perspective.

pls
Sorry,

Different perspective from what?

Malaysia - 20% down on resales. Some banks now offering Zero Entry Cost on off-plan (still 20%-30% down) including stamp duty and legal fees. Most developments increasing in value during a three year build time by 80-100% (can supply examples). Zero Capital Gains tax and no restriction on movement of capital out of Malaysia. Well located serviced apartments in KL returning 10%+ rental yields, but watch out for the income tax.

Singapore - Last year saw a dramatic increase in capital value on residential property (30%+). I doubt if that will be the same this year, but still the option of 20% down on off-plan projects, balance on completion for projects finishing in 3 years with mortgage rates tied to the US is appealing. Again, no restriction on moving capital out of Singapore and whereas Malaysia has a lot of land on which to build, Singapore is extremely limited.

India - Can´t get your money out (as a private investor)

China - you pay your money, you take your chance

Cambodia - Cannot see an exit strategy

Vietnam - Same

Philippines - What do you own?

Thailand - Choose carefully. Some great deals and a beautiful country, but a mixture of the reasons why I wouldnt invest in China, Cambodia and the Philippines.

That´s my tuppence, but willing to hear other views.

Andy

A

ariecol

Sorry,

Different perspective from what?

Malaysia - 20% down on resales. Some banks now offering Zero Entry Cost on off-plan (still 20%-30% down) including stamp duty and legal fees. Most developments increasing in value during a three year build time by 80-100% (can supply examples). Zero Capital Gains tax and no restriction on movement of capital out of Malaysia. Well located serviced apartments in KL returning 10%+ rental yields, but watch out for the income tax.

Singapore - Last year saw a dramatic increase in capital value on residential property (30%+). I doubt if that will be the same this year, but still the option of 20% down on off-plan projects, balance on completion for projects finishing in 3 years with mortgage rates tied to the US is appealing. Again, no restriction on moving capital out of Singapore and whereas Malaysia has a lot of land on which to build, Singapore is extremely limited.

India - Can´t get your money out (as a private investor)

China - you pay your money, you take your chance

Cambodia - Cannot see an exit strategy

Vietnam - Same

Philippines - What do you own?

Thailand - Choose carefully. Some great deals and a beautiful country, but a mixture of the reasons why I wouldnt invest in China, Cambodia and the Philippines.

That´s my tuppence, but willing to hear other views.

Andy

view as in other investor, and from the expert.
i have a bit of malaysia knowledge, but would like to see and hear more ......from others ;- )

A

andyk2

My view

I think Malaysia is a country waiting to happen. Prices are good, there is a strong domestic market and Malaysian agents/developers are waking up to the fact that there is a world beyond their national boundaries.

I think you will see many more Malaysian property investments coming onto the market before the end of the year and a higher degree of interest from the international market.

But, it could be three months or three years before Malaysia becomes a "fashionable" investment, and won´t happen until international agents put their clients first rather than their pockets because of the low commissions on offer.

Happy Investing

Andy

A

ariecol

I think Malaysia is a country waiting to happen. Prices are good, there is a strong domestic market and Malaysian agents/developers are waking up to the fact that there is a world beyond their national boundaries.

I think you will see many more Malaysian property investments coming onto the market before the end of the year and a higher degree of interest from the international market.

But, it could be three months or three years before Malaysia becomes a "fashionable" investment, and won´t happen until international agents put their clients first rather than their pockets because of the low commissions on offer.

Happy Investing

Andy

good to see you hav positive outlook for malaysia.
agree some agents shld be put into sausage making machine!

oh well most estate agents are like tht regardless of country :D

A

ariecol

Heres some bits from

The Wall Street Journal Online sent to my Widget "Malaysia Eases Affirmative-Action Policies by James Hookway 22/4/09 07:03

Mr Prior-Wandesforde, Singapore based economist, forecasted Malaysia economy will rebound strongly and grow 5.5% in 2010

D

Damian George

uuummmmm

Thailand does this every few years - think malaysia is a better bet

H

hazri

i think its better for you to invest in Malaysia...especially in the johor district...iff you are really interested..im willing to give you all the info that you'll be needed...but make it fast coz theres so many investors that are willingly to invest millions of pounds just to get the best spot in Johor

L

lacKailey

Malaysia offers overseas property buyers the best investment opportunities, according to one expert.Marsha Lu, head of the legal, diligence and compliance ...

N

Hi All,i might be a bit biased but the following statement is based on my true opinion.

I don't really encourage people to buy malaysia properties due to their rising crime rates especially in place like johor bahru...Plus their currency continue to weakening,due to economy and political instability.The Vacancy rate there is also high plus some of the developments got frequent complain about bad management.

I am staying in SE Asia so i can see the situation very clearly.Badpress on malaysia also might be playing a parton my opinion.

Cheers.

S

Saeid

I bought one property in Port Dickson, Malaysia. Strictly as an income property.

Just had it handed over to me last November. I couldn't have been more pleased with the quality of the build, the after sales service, the furniture provided, etc. It is by far one of my better investments and I have invested in Iran, the UAE and the Philippines.

I would strongly recommend staying away from the Philippines and the UAE. Malaysia is a far better place than anywhere else I have visited in SE Asia.

As far as the crime in Malaysia goes, I have visited the country 5 times and have never had even a smallest brush with crime. In fact it feels like a very safe place. I have heard of pick pockets. But it is a big city. Show me a big city where pick pocketing is not a problem.

My next investment will most certainly be in Malaysia again. before you invest, check Putrajaya. I mean personally go there and check it. It is an amazing place with very affordable prices.

Saeid

H

hazri

Malaysia of course...malaysian ringgit is now at the highest point in all of asian country...with all the development provided by the Malaysian goverment, it is wort it to invest in Malaysia

J

juhdy

Makati City is the best metro in the Philippines to invest. Every year, the property prices are rising between 3% and 5%. Then if you want to make money out of your property, you can easily rent it out.

S

SPI

Can anyone share what are the costs and fees incurred when getting a property in malaysia? im quite new to overseas property.....

W

webbguy

Consider Philippines since it is the fastest growing economy in South East Asia.

P

pis

actually philippines from returns of investment perspective. btw, i m a singaporean.

A

asia

Find that its a good time to invest in Singapore now. The property market in Singapore had slowed down for the past few years. This year, it seems to be picking up.

L

Lory1pips

I think Chiang Mai is one of the cities in Southeast Asia with blooming potential since 2011. Chiang Mai is in fact a very beautiful city that a lot of people may want to retire in. The lifestyle of the city is not as fast paced when compared to other cities such as Bangkok and Pattaya, making it a very livable city and one of the world’s best places to live and retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.