Are US real estate investors not concerned about Donald Trump?

D

diyhelp

Looking at the mess which seems to follow Donald Trump everywhere he goes, are US real estate investors not concerned about the long term stability of the president's position? Markets are showing strong signs of recovery but Donald Trump just courts controversy after controversy.

R

realdeals

It is not just real estate investors - the stock market seems to be ignoring the side show around Pres Trump!

N

nmb

They seem to be discounting Donald Trumps problems. Personally I think this strategy will come back to bite investors on the backside very very soon.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I would be cautious of US real estate at the moment - if you need to invest then ensure that you are selective!

D

diyhelp

All these promises of helping the real estate sector - using his expertise and experience - where are they now?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
The last few days have seen concerns growing on the stock market - there is even talk that Trump will not see the year out never mind his full term. Looks like investors are FINALLY starting to listen.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

Time to wake up and smell the coffee! Donald Trump is doing a lot more harm than good to the US economy and the prospects for the real estate sector. With his real estate experience why is he not helping the sector?

I am convinced that he won't see out his full term as president - the knives are out for him and they are getting sharper and sharper. Death by a thousand cuts?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I think Donald Trump is now a drag on the US real estate market - plenty of promises but not delivered on any so far.

D

diyhelp

I agree to a certain extent with all arguments on here but there is no doubt the stock market initially rallied on hopes Trump would deliver a new wave of economic growth. At the moment valuations are a little ahead of short to medium term prospects and his constant criticism of the Fed doesn't help.

N

nmb

Hi John, I understand what you are saying but banks have massive financial exposure to the housing market through mortgages, property development companies are listed on the markets and raise money on the markets so to say there is no connection is not quite right?

p.s. While Trump may not be impacting the real estate market directly his actions do have an impact upon investor sentiment.

N

nmb

Fair comments John - there was talk of selling off some of the Fannie and Freddie exposure to the mortgage market. As you know these were the vehicles used to support the failing financial sector in the aftermath of the sub-prime mortgage market collapse.

I would be interested in your view as to why markets seemed to ignore the impending sub-prime mortgage market collapse even though the signs were there months in advance. I know this is all hindsight, a useful tool lol, but margins were wafer thin and it was common knowledge some mortgage deals were being signed off when there was not a cat in hells chance that the customer would be able to keep up with repayments.

D

diyhelp

I agree John, however history shows that investors have very very short memories and once the regulations are relaxed the same things will happen time and time again. You hit the nail on the head, all investors are concerned about is who is left holding the baby at the end.

D

diyhelp

I read somewhere that investment markets are performing well "in spite of Donald Trump". Probably sums it up for me lol