ad

Hello all, a brief background. Any help?

R

RK15

Hi all,

New to the forum.

In a nutshell, my background is in running a hedge fund, but I am now looking to diversify into property.

I currently own 3 properties in London but I am now interested to really start building up a portfolio of buy to lets, with particular focus on the London and Surrey area.

I have created an account as whilst property is not my main line of business it would be great to bounce some ideas with people.

We are currently trying to look purely for value which can benefit from capital appreciation & rental yields. As I am sure you all know, finding value in London is very difficult. I would be delighted to talk to some people about interesting London areas that still have value and also what people's opinions are on buying 'ready made' flats that can benefit from higher rental yields but lower price appreciation.

Cashflow is a very important factor to me and my holding period can be greatly extended (3-5 years +) if the yields are good.

I am looking for say maybe another 2 properties with a budget of around 900k-1m.

If anyone has any advice please let me know. Particular focus is in London/ Surrey I would be most interested to talk.

Thanks,

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi @RK15

A warm welcome to the forum!

Can I ask why are you set on London? It's a very low yield and many other areas within commuting distance are far better options for both yield and capital appreciation... examples are Reading, Basingstoke, Maidenhead, Slough, Newbury etc etc Surrey may have some areas that work (Woking perhaps) but is also quite expensive.

Keen to hear your reasons and are you open to considering other areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Property Forum

N

nmb

Like Nicholas said, the rental yield in London is very low compared to other areas of the UK. There was even a situation a couple of years ago when rental yields were less than gilt yields!

I see you are also looking to focus on cash flow rather capital appreciation which would fit in with some of the areas highlighted above.

R

RK15

Hi Nicholas, thanks for your advice and comments. Actually London isnt so much a priority, it's just that I am based here so wanted to work on projects that were closer to me as its easier to manage.

I am most definitely keen to explore other areas too, and of course as this is an investment then yes, areas that show the best prospects would work. I probably would not explore anything from the midlands up. So still trying to keep it 'relatively' close to home so to speak.

You kindly listed some other areas which is great. Do you see those areas as probably having the most potential for future prospects?

M

Michelle Barringer

Forum Partner
Hello, Welcome to the forum. Would you consider a JV partnership where your money is used in property investments and you get a fixed rate return? I would be happy to discuss with you in more detail?
Thanks M