Does a tidy garden give a good first impression to potential buyers?

N

nmb

It is bizarre when you read about the expensive lengths to which some people will go to ensure that potential buyers have a good first impression of their home. The reality is that many simple actions have the potential to make your home more appealing, one of which is a tidy garden. Whether you tidy the garden yourself or employer a gardener it can make a massive difference to people's first impression.

Remember, it can be very difficult to change the first impression of your home no matter how much money you have spent inside.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
It is bizarre when you read about the expensive lengths to which some people will go to ensure that potential buyers have a good first impression of their home. The reality is that many simple actions have the potential to make your home more appealing, one of which is a tidy garden. Whether you tidy the garden yourself or employer a gardener it can make a massive difference to people's first impression.

Remember, it can be very difficult to change the first impression of your home no matter how much money you have spent inside.

Definitely curb appeal is very important if you want to give the potential buyers a good first impression. That first impression can affect how they feel about your property from start to finish of t he viewing.

N

nmb

I totally agree Veronica, you can spend a fortune on the interior design of your property but if the first impression they receive is poor it can be very difficult to change that. We're not talking about spending thousands or even hundreds of pounds on "curb appeal" but a general tidy up could be the difference between selling your property or potential buyers walking away.

L

Luke Masters

Premium Member
I agree you cannot change a first impression and that impression is created the moment you see the property from the exterior! Spending a small amount of money on creating the right impression is something that will always give you an easier sale if not increasing the likelihood of receiving an offer closer to the asking price!

B

Bamotra

As with the front garden, the rear of the house is just as important. Try to create a lifestyle that would appeal to your viewers so that they can imagine themselves using the garden area. Make it appealing with garden furniture and plants. If the garden area is small, some hanging baskets or plant pots can make the area inviting and colourful. Take an objective look at the rear of the property as well as the garden and address any maintenance areas such as fencing, sheds, windows and doors.

N

nmb

I suppose one of the main problems is that many of us fail to see a garden as literally an extension of a house. Perhaps if we think of it in this light it makes sense to ensure that all gardening work is completed to a level which gives a good impression to potential buyers. As leisure time also becomes more important, with an often hectic working life, what better way to relax than sitting in the garden with a drink in hand?

E

Ed_P

In my opinion a beautiful and well maintained front garden can really add so much more to a property and really get help a property get noticed. I briefly lived in France for a while when I was a child and we had hanging baskets in out front garden and on our house, it really added that extra little something and really grabbed peoples' attention; some would even stop to take pictures!

L

lookinginvest

Many people will see a badly maintained garden as a reflection of the property. At the end of the day, how much does it really cost to tidy up a garden, plant a few flowers and make it more presentable?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
In the past when house hunting we have walked away from a house without going in if the property looked uncared for on the outside. We have also refused to go into a house if the neighbours gardens are a mess as it reflects on the people who live there and I suppose to some extent it makes us snobs as we don't want to live next to slobs.

N

nmb

I think many people would think the same @Veronica because at the end of the day you are investing a significant amount of money to live in a certain environment. Also, an untidy neighbourhood will likely impact the perceived value of your property in the future.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

Put yourself in the place of the potential buyer. If the first thing they see is an untidy garden this does not exactly shout buy me? Curb appeal is a lot more important than many people realise - especially sellers.

C

Caroline Allison

In my opinion a beautiful and well maintained front garden can really add so much more to a property and really get help a property get noticed. I briefly lived in France for a while when I was a child and we had hanging baskets in out front garden and on our house, it really added that extra little something and really grabbed peoples' attention; some would even stop to take pictures!
Hi,
I totally agree with you, A beautiful and well-maintained garden is the first impression of your home and it will be very helpful to attract potential buyers.
Thanks!!

Last edited:
J-Nevil

J-Nevil

Absolutely, gardens especially at the front of the house are an essential draw to selling properties. Even more so if you have renovated the house to be ready to live in. A buyer who is looking for a place that they don't need to work on, will be put off by a garden that looks like it needs a lot of time and energy to make inviting.

Fixing this is fairly easy. As someone else has mentioned, hanging baskets perk a place up and are inexpensive. Additionally, you'd be surprised how quickly you can revive a dying lawn with some good quality grass seed, watering 2/3 times a week and sunshine.

P

Property Buyers

It is always a good thing to present your home well so that a potential buyer gets the first impression correct. Clean house with less furniture and more space is always considered by buyers.

D

diyhelp

Bottom line is, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Similar to buying a car - you would walk away from a dirty car without even looking at the mileage.