ad

Should my properties be in a company?

R

realdeals

This is a question I ask myself time and time again, should my properties be held in a company or in my own name? Does anybody have any advice?

N

nmb

Many people fall into the trap of holding small property portfolios in a company. There are additional costs associated with running a company, such as filing accounts, which can be relatively expensive. Take advice about the balance between company/own name property investments. You might be surprised!

A

Armarni Vashi

Yes, especially if there is active income/ re-development etc... then you will be creating value in the company as-well as with the property in general.

It depends how ambitious you are ? do you want to be the next big property firm or just buy a few buy-to-let/ investment properties to sit on ?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
It really does depend upon how active you want to be and your personal financial situation. There is no point setting up a property company just for the sake of it.

C

Caroline Allison

Hi,
I think to buy a property with your name will be more beneficial than the company name.
With your own name, you are eligible for a full CGT discount and would be cost effective to set up and maintain.
Thanks!!

P

Phil1979

Forum Partner
Hi,
I think to buy a property with your name will be more beneficial than the company name.
With your own name, you are eligible for a full CGT discount and would be cost effective to set up and maintain.
Thanks!!
Hi Caroline, can i ask what 'CGT discount' is please?

Does it make a difference if you're looking to buy a property abroad as a holiday rental (as to whether you're better doing it as an individual or a company)? And if you would still say buy it as an individual, what if you bought multiple properties abroad? Does it make sense to move to a company structure at that stage?

Thanks for you help :)

P

Phil1979

Forum Partner
Yes, especially if there is active income/ re-development etc... then you will be creating value in the company as-well as with the property in general.

It depends how ambitious you are ? do you want to be the next big property firm or just buy a few buy-to-let/ investment properties to sit on ?
Can i ask how you would be creating value as a company? Do you think it would be easier to sell a property investment in the future if it were in a company format?

C

Caroline Allison

Hi phil1979,

CGT stands for Capital gain tax. It refers to the profit you make from selling capital resources. Capital resources incorporate any property, for example, land, PCs or vehicles.It is always a positive outcome to generate a profit on one of your investments.

Thanks!!