Should we really expect a Brazilian property boom because of the World Cup?

• Thread starter totallyproperty
  • Start date
debzor

debzor

Living in a state that represents about 2.5% of Brazil's GDP, I don't suppose you will see much change, but it seems very unfair to other people who don't live here, to turn a blind eye to all of Brazil's economical and social problems.
Brasil est entre os campees em assassinatos | Brasil: Diario de Pernambuco
A taça de assassinatos é nossa
As you can see from the articles, the economical situation in Brazil is probably not even the most important when considering whether to buy a home here. Brazil is world champion in the number of homicides worlwide and year after year this number increases. The state that you live in appears at number 7 in the list of most homicides per number of inhabitants.
I have chosen to live where I live, and if I have made a good choice then that is probably not by chance. But I only seek to inform people of my exact circumstances and of my experiences in my location, and would not quote general statistics. Equally, as I have said before, just because SP and Rio are having a boom and bust housing cycle, this does not mean so is everywhere else in Brazil.

Having lived and worked in the US and Europe, I am well aware of inner city problems, and Brazil is no different. Of course security can be an issue anywhere in the world, and I would not choose to visit some countries in the middle east right now, but you have to apply common sense...and I personally would not choose to live in SP, but that would just be my choice.

It appears that you have a big grievance against Brazil, which I do not share, but we are both entitled to our opinions, so lets leave it at that.

L

lutjebroek

Property prices here are measured in BRL and nothing else, and where I live they have not fallen dramatically at all.
That may be true for parts outside the big cities, where property prices did not go through the roof, but In Rio en Sao Paulo they fell by over 20% last year and there is hardly a soft landing.

This is AFTER the world cup, by the way (see the title of this threat) but still before the Olympics.

But anyway, this discussion was not really about inflation. As far as I understood it, there were references to the several posts here about people that didnt even get a property because the plans were not realised, etc

You can argue what you want (and remove posts that proved the totally wrong predictions of several project developers that were active here) but that is NOT a good track record for investments. My opinion, of course. (And no attack on a specific person, I just want to stress that if there is reason to delete a post, that reason could be made known)

debzor

debzor

That may be true for parts outside the big cities, where property prices did not go through the roof, but In Rio en Sao Paulo they fell by over 20% last year and there is hardly a soft landing.

This is AFTER the world cup, by the way (see the title of this threat) but still before the Olympics.

But anyway, this discussion was not really about inflation. As far as I understood it, there were references to the several posts here about people that didnt even get a property because the plans were not realised, etc

You can argue what you want (and remove posts that proved the totally wrong predictions of several project developers that were active here) but that is NOT a good track record for investments. My opinion, of course. (And no attack on a specific person, I just want to stress that if there is reason to delete a post, that reason could be made known)
You are exactly right prices in those cities have had big falls, but to be fair they had huge gains just before this...

You are also quite correct that people had their fingers burnt (particularly in one city in NE Brazil),when various projects did not go ahead. While I think some investors were, perhaps, blinkered, and others did not complete their due diligence fully, I am sure some were just plain unlucky or at worse robbed. This is true, and buyer beware...

It is also worth remembering that clever investors buy when everyone else is selling, and sell when all around are buying...!

M

Mineiro

I have chosen to live where I live, and if I have made a good choice then that is probably not by chance. But I only seek to inform people of my exact circumstances and of my experiences in my location, and would not quote general statistics. Equally, as I have said before, just because SP and Rio are having a boom and bust housing cycle, this does not mean so is everywhere else in Brazil.

Having lived and worked in the US and Europe, I am well aware of inner city problems, and Brazil is no different. Of course security can be an issue anywhere in the world, and I would not choose to visit some countries in the middle east right now, but you have to apply common sense...and I personally would not choose to live in SP, but that would just be my choice.

It appears that you have a big grievance against Brazil, which I do not share, but we are both entitled to our opinions, so lets leave it at that.
I am not talking about São Paulo or Rio, but in Brazil generally. Nor do I live in a large city, infact I live in rural Brazil. I have no grievance against Brazil and have lived here for over 20 years.
The grievance that I have, are the people painting rosy pictures of a country that is passing through difficult times. I personally believe that most Europeans or Americans are best off buying elsewhere. Brazil has many charms but it also has many problems which I think many foreigners would find hard to adapt to.
My grievance is with the people promising huge returns in little time. If someone wanted to invest here, I believe that they should be living here or about to. And to only buy once they have lived here for at least a year, to see if Brazil is really for them.Unfortunately as Lutjebroek pointed out in a previous post, the majority of the people using this site seem to be the agents flogging these dodgy project developments or the people who unfortunately lost their money and are trying to contact the developer.
Not everyone on this forum has a vested interest in ignoring the wider picture. I know that you personally live here and do not include you amongst those who are purely motivated by profit.

debzor

debzor

I am not talking about São Paulo or Rio, but in Brazil generally. Nor do I live in a large city, infact I live in rural Brazil. I have no grievance against Brazil and have lived here for over 20 years.
The grievance that I have, are the people painting rosy pictures of a country that is passing through difficult times. I personally believe that most Europeans or Americans are best off buying elsewhere. Brazil has many charms but it also has many problems which I think many foreigners would find hard to adapt to.
My grievance is with the people promising huge returns in little time. If someone wanted to invest here, I believe that they should be living here or about to. And to only buy once they have lived here for at least a year, to see if Brazil is really for them.Unfortunately as Lutjebroek pointed out in a previous post, the majority of the people using this site seem to be the agents flogging these dodgy project developments or the people who unfortunately lost their money and are trying to contact the developer.
Not everyone on this forum has a vested interest in ignoring the wider picture. I know that you personally live here and do not include you amongst those who are purely motivated by profit.
Interesting. Actually I do not believe that most people want to live here permanently, but merely want to take advantage of the great beaches, long hours of sun, warm sea temperatures, friendly locals, relaxed slower way of life, etc, etc, for a few weeks a year, and are not in it just for the money (although this is always nice!).

A tourist/part time retiree can avoid a lot of the problems you and I encounter, just because they are not permanent residents, and perhaps are staying here for up to 6 months a year.

Of course I feel for anyone who has lost out, but I do feel there are still plenty of good opportunities to look for in Brazil.

M

Mineiro

Interesting. Actually I do not believe that most people want to live here permanently, but merely want to take advantage of the great beaches, long hours of sun, warm sea temperatures, friendly locals, relaxed slower way of life, etc, etc, for a few weeks a year, and are not in it just for the money (although this is always nice!).

A tourist/part time retiree can avoid a lot of the problems you and I encounter, just because they are not permanent residents, and perhaps are staying here for up to 6 months a year.

Of course I feel for anyone who has lost out, but I do feel there are still plenty of good opportunities to look for in Brazil.
Surely a house in Spain or Portugal would be far better for them then. Cheaper flights, stable governments, strong currency and part of the European Union. Better health care, far less crime, and better food.

debzor

debzor

Surely a house in Spain or Portugal would be far better for them then. Cheaper flights, stable governments, strong currency and part of the European Union. Better health care, far less crime, and better food.
Most (but not all) of what you say is correct, but to be one in a crowd of a million on a European beach...? Where is your sense of adventure?

M

Mineiro

Most (but not all) of what you say is correct, but to be one in a crowd of a million on a European beach...? Where is your sense of adventure?
I would say that money and adventure is not a good recipe for success. They are best kept apart.