So I want to move to Spain, Where do I go?

A

Angus Macguyver

hey guys....

after searching the web to find info on where to move to i came across this site and figured it would be the best place to ask....

currently, my wife and i (and soon to be son) live in athens greece. i am an american and she is greek. i cant stand living in this country, especially this city, and she doesnt want to leave europe. so my thoughts have moved on to spain. it has a similar climate and lots of open beautiful spaces.

i know the basic information about the country as a whole (thats why i picked it as our next possible home) but i do not know about any area in particular....

what we are looking for....

my wife and i would like to buy a house, but it is probably best to rent for a year or 2 just to be sure we feel at home there....so we would like to rent in an area we would also like to buy in, maybe even with a possible buy on the same house...

jobs are not a requirement for us and we dont want to live in the crowded suburbia.

we want something quiet and safe for our family. near enough to the coast so we can drive there when we want to...

access to mountains and outdoor recreation areas (for me...)

close enough to shopping and civilization to still feel connected to the world...

large wide open house with plenty of natural light, preferably with a view....

small piece of land...couple acres or more....

and again the key for me is safe....which is not how i feel in athens anymore....

so what do you guys think is a good area for me to check out?

A

Angus Macguyver

things have changed so much recently and there is no up to date info online that i can find....

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
As your wife is Greek have you considered Cyprus rather than Spain?
Everything you say you are looking for is available in Cyprus but crime is much lower than in Spain.
Just some food for thought for you

Veronica

Y

yort

Spain

Hi,
i am in the process of preparing my move to spain from switzerland.
Found a nice area of Coata Blanca spending 3 month there last summer.
Between sea and mountains, beautiful sand beaches, nature of pine trees and olive gardens.
Looking for the house to buy and as you may be to rent for first time.
A lot of nice propeties but i spent already half a year looking at them. Need to be careful.
So if you need my help in finding the property or would like to unitw our forces
please contac me by skype
Olga.yortholt

D

DC

hey guys....

after searching the web to find info on where to move to i came across this site and figured it would be the best place to ask....

currently, my wife and i (and soon to be son) live in athens greece. i am an american and she is greek. i cant stand living in this country, especially this city, and she doesnt want to leave europe. so my thoughts have moved on to spain. it has a similar climate and lots of open beautiful spaces.

i know the basic information about the country as a whole (thats why i picked it as our next possible home) but i do not know about any area in particular....

what we are looking for....

my wife and i would like to buy a house, but it is probably best to rent for a year or 2 just to be sure we feel at home there....so we would like to rent in an area we would also like to buy in, maybe even with a possible buy on the same house...

jobs are not a requirement for us and we dont want to live in the crowded suburbia.

we want something quiet and safe for our family. near enough to the coast so we can drive there when we want to...

access to mountains and outdoor recreation areas (for me...)

close enough to shopping and civilization to still feel connected to the world...

large wide open house with plenty of natural light, preferably with a view....

small piece of land...couple acres or more....

and again the key for me is safe....which is not how i feel in athens anymore....

so what do you guys think is a good area for me to check out?
Come to the Costa Blanca and try it!

B

Buddyfox

i had been going to the Costa Blanca for 20 odd years. I loved it when it was real spain but as like everything it changes and not always for the good. moraira retained its quaint village like charm but places like javea got a bit overbuilt. Cost of living changed with the euro so now its not too different to the UK. The worst thing that happened to spain was going into the euro....they may still come out...who knows...lets hope so though!
Getting work is always difficult in spain. I ran my own business's but was always underfunded so it was a struggle. I would bear this in mind if you need to earn to live. All said though I miss Spain. I am just a lottery win away from returning!!

P

Paul Rawlines

I bought a beautiful villa in the south of Alicante 3 months ago, right now is time to buy, everything is so cheap, 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room, kitchen, 5x10 swimming pool and 5000m2 plot for 180.000€, 3 years ago the owner paid 250.000€. The guy from the estate agency <snip>was really helpfull, and the weather...20º right now!!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Buddyfox

5000 square metres? I hope it is all ok on the escritura

B

Buddyfox

Often you need 10,000 sqm to be able to build on it if it is rustica land. Inland the building are often not on the escritura

P

Paul Rawlines

All its ok on the escritura, after 4 years build, the house is legal, I had no idea how thing work here before I came, Its true if you want to build now in rustic land you need 10,000 sqm, but there are many properties with more tham 4 years. I love the area is close from Torrevieja, a really turistic spot plenty of restaurants, the beach is 10 minutes away from my house either Guardamar, Santa Pola or Torrevieja but still a small spanish village with street market every day, I love the fresh food here. I m really happy in DOLORES.

B

Buddyfox

I didnt know where you were, each town has different rules so I was just pointing out the possible problem, as it sounded inland.

I lived further up the coast for 7 years in Moraira. Still miss it now!

B

Buddyfox

There are a lot of pretty small towns, Benitachell, Gata, and the old town of Javea which are all nearer the sea. Jalon valley is great for sunday dinner, especially Casa Vie, although I onlt used to eat there in the winter as I find big meals uncomfortable in summer, prefer tapas.
Property prices are now at levels not seen since last century, it may not be the bottom of the market but is wont be far off. Not only that, its about the quality of the purchase and the good stuff goes quickly when the market is seen to have turned.

T

taly

i agree, there are lots of pretty towns, but Jesus Pobre has marvelous mountain views:) for me it´s very important. But if you prefer sea views i think Benitachell is the best.

B

Buddyfox

You get both in Benitcahell with the Montgo right in front of you!

T

taly

Benitachell is good, really good place, but very touristic from my point of view. Anyway, i think that in Costa Blance North there places for all tastes:)

B

Buddyfox

Yes. I used to go to alcoy and cocenteina quite a lot. very different to the coast but most of the towns around there dont have too may english (i am english but I went to spain to be in spain not in england!)

P

pablosho

Somewhere different to Costa Blanca

Hi Angus,

I have lived in Jerez de la Frontera for nearly 9 years. It might just be what you are looking for?
The beautiful unspoilt beaches of the Costa de la Luz are less than 30km and there are many national parks, mountain ranges of Grazalema & Ronda. 30 minutes from the historical port of Cadiz and 60 minutes from Seville.
Jerez, Seville & Gibraltar airports and Malaga is only 90 minutes if the wife wants to pop back to Greece at any time.

As you can imagine property prices are still falling and rentals are easily found.

Let me know if you would like to know anymore about the area.

BR
Paul

R

rubencito

Hi Angus. Check the Jalon valley. Vineyards, Meditteranean forrest, International schools, no crime, 15 minute drive to Moraira and Javea and the beach. You will love it.

Best regards
Robert