How long do you think the global economic downturn will last?

How long do you think the global economic downturn will last?

• 1 year

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • 2 years

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • 3 years

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • 4 years

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 5 years

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • More than 5 years

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • not sure

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
M

Miley Tipton

hi everyone,

well I think it will last for one year, because, now everyone eyes get opened and they are doing things to come over it,at there own scale and by this collective effort of each, everything become fine with in a year

S

shoeb

market is on boom in real estate no body can say when it will go down, companies investing so it hard to predict...

O

oregon woodsmoke

I hope this is the bottom of it. Unemployment is still over 10%, but real estate prices have come up a bit. Median price was about $140K, now it has gone up to $175K (US dollars).

No where near the $280K at the top of the market, but any correction upward is welcome at this point in time.

The darn banks are still dumping their foreclosures at ridiculously low prices, making it nearly impossible for anyone else to get anything sold. If it does get a buyer, the banks are using their own foreclosures as comps, so now it is very difficult to obtain financing for any reasonable priced sale.

There are still some excellent deals available out there. Anyone with cash can just about write their own deal.

It's a great time to purchase real estate in Oregon, USA.

I'm currently purchasing bare land for buy and hold. I haven't seen land prices so low for 20 years.

P

Portugal Stephen

The problem is that now there is so much doom and gloom throughout the world, its impossible for the average person to feel confident that the political powers can bring an end to the economic problem.

I would predict another year of the same, before any recovery takes place.

Generally in times of crisis there's always people making a lot of money from it, this does not appear to be the case just now, so I think button up the hatches for at least another 2 years!

M

Miley Tipton

hi,
well downturn not only depends on your location but also depends on further investment people make, best example is India, I mean how knew that India can tackle this recession period....

I think People there not only believe ijn investment but also look for savings...
and their savings save them to some extent... RE is still going good in India.

D

Damian George

Emerging markets is a good place to invest, but saying that the global search for yield may delay any recovery as currency wars develop and countries adopt a beggar thou neighbour. I wouldn't be surprised to see countries like Brazil, South Africa etc meltdown as there currency has appreciated more than 20% in a year and destroying there competitive advantage.

Euro zone had a very good 2nd and 3rd quarter GDP figures but that was based on the Euro exchange rate below 1.25 to 1.1800, now with the Euro at 1.3500/1.4000 that is 10% rise in prices, not to mention the crippling effect on the PIGS.

I say this mess is going to take 3-4 years to sort out and we may not have seen the worse. While banks aren't lending, we have sub 5% inflation we cant get ourselves out of this hole.

Sadly in history a WAR was needed to sort these problems

Z

zanzibar

Different regions are recovering at different paces - Zanzibar, for example, is experiencing a real estate boom at the moment, while places such as the UK are still struggling. I think it's a bit naive to try and classify the entire world as either in downturn or upturn

J

jumpingspidermedia

One can never tell. It can be next year or two.. But hopefully our economic status would be better next year!

K

kapil10387

hello guys! as far as i think it will not take too long to recover.Although its been recovering and has been recovered quite a lot but still i think it will take around one year to recover

F

FloridaForeignInvestors

I think that it will last a few years. What I am thinking though, at least in the US, we are going through a large paradigm shift that will last much longer. We all know that this time period is being compared to the great depression. I disagree with this statement.

With the new economy and with the internet becoming mainstream, the economy will be different. Gone for a while are the days of credit agency giving out money like its Christmas. This gives great opportunity for investment properties for those with money to invest. I will say that this creates a bigger gap between the economically disadvantaged and the financially affluent. I also so more opportunities for those who understand economics.

A

alishiagreen

Depends on the leader of any country I think. If the leader of a country knows what are the thing needs to do his/her country will not feel the negative effect of economic crisis.

P

privateproperty

In the UK, it has been widely reported in the media that home owners in the UK are forced to accept offers of 10% below the asking price to sell their properties, in Australia it is on average less 6% of the value...

M

Michelle Alden

Honestly, I think its going take years for a full recovery.

F

findingout

Some top thinkers / economists don't believe it will 'recover' in the conventional sense, given that the underlying problems have not been addressed... so for me it's "more than 5 years"..

A

avinashjog

The end of the downturn should arrive soon

I think the global economic downturn will end in a year or two. And that time, countries like India will surely make it to the top. Considering the economy is on its way to be a booming one, the coming years surely wont have much of a downturn but only progress on its way!

J

Janette Guenien

As long as there are calamities and political insurgencies in different part of the world. The Global economic is still down.

C

Cosmo

Hi,
The world's economies are intimately tied to extremely serious political developments in the United States Britain, France, and elsewhere. The political aspect of the current crisis, where the deciders have seized control of the media and are now going to great pains to seemingly make things even worse than they already are, means that this crisis is going to be felt for many years to come. And indeed, I believe that the political crisis is even more serious than the economic crisis.
[

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Ewan Park

Global Economy

As the worldwide economy continues to struggle, how long do you think the global economic downturn will last?

Please post your ideas, comments and theories and we can discuss the many views and opinions out there.

Have you voted in the above poll?
It will last as long as countries keep firing money into bottomless pits - The IMF (great organisation) feeds countries - it does not teach them how to feed themselves.

Also - how can we (UK) and USA for example warrant donating to developing countries when both countries are in financial crisis themselves.

The whole world appears to owe money to China - What are they doing right ?

S

steph5066

recession or media hype

We are obviously in a recession, isn't this part of a normal economic system of booms and bust. Just like th ewar on terror doesn't the media have something to do with it. I'm not saying that some major economic changes need to be made. But the media scare tactics are getting boring.

Peter Ryan

Peter Ryan

I'm trying to remain optimistic about it! :D It's a very difficult question though ... Are there any fortune tellers out there?