General questions about life in Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

2F2F

Hello, I'm thinking to buy a cheap property in Egypt.

I have never been there so I'd appreciate if anyone can advise me about pros and cons.

I need fast internet and peace and quiet, since I'm a University student (I study by distance online) and do not like big chaotic cities.

I'm currently in Australia and since here prices are crazy and I'm sick of paying someone's else mortgage, so I am really keen to jump on a plane and move there for a few years till I complete my degree and then a master maybe.

From the research I have done, it seems Hurghada is the cheapest option.

But I wonder about the crime rate, if there are many drug users around (which I hate) and safety in general since my elderly mother would like to move there too.

Also, where do they get clean water for all the new house developments? Rain is rare, so, are they getting it from the sea or what?

And what about shopping? Is there any mall in Hurghada? Are groceries cheap?

How about the cost of living, utilities, petrol, etc.?

Thanks in advance!!

El Gouna Property

El Gouna Property

Banned
Hello, I'm thinking to buy a cheap property in Egypt.

I have never been there so I'd appreciate if anyone can advise me about pros and cons.

I need fast internet and peace and quiet, since I'm a University student (I study by distance online) and do not like big chaotic cities.

I'm currently in Australia and since here prices are crazy and I'm sick of paying someone's else mortgage, so I am really keen to jump on a plane and move there for a few years till I complete my degree and then a master maybe.

From the research I have done, it seems Hurghada is the cheapest option.

But I wonder about the crime rate, if there are many drug users around (which I hate) and safety in general since my elderly mother would like to move there too.

Also, where do they get clean water for all the new house developments? Rain is rare, so, are they getting it from the sea or what?

And what about shopping? Is there any mall in Hurghada? Are groceries cheap?

How about the cost of living, utilities, petrol, etc.?

Thanks in advance!!
Hi 2F2F

Crime rate in Hurghada and drugs is very low and the city is well controlled from this side.

Clean water coming from the nile every 3 days a week and by car tanks
but water for drinking you have to buy from Supermarket

For shopping there is huge supermarkets and there is now Senzo Mall which is a huge shopping Mall with Cinemas

For cost of living compared to any place in the world its much cheaper

Just at End I would like to let you know its a different world with different habits
if you can fit in you will have a very nice life.

Last thing to say as you see here many people have many problems with properties they bought so you have to do your homework and research the
property you are buying very good and hire your own lawyer to check all papers

Wish you all the best

Regards

2F2F

Hi 2F2F

Crime rate in Hurghada and drugs is very low and the city is well controlled from this side.

Clean water coming from the nile every 3 days a week and by car tanks
but water for drinking you have to buy from Supermarket

For shopping there is huge supermarkets and there is now Senzo Mall which is a huge shopping Mall with Cinemas

For cost of living compared to any place in the world its much cheaper

Just at End I would like to let you know its a different world with different habits
if you can fit in you will have a very nice life.

Last thing to say as you see here many people have many problems with properties they bought so you have to do your homework and research the
property you are buying very good and hire your own lawyer to check all papers

Wish you all the best

Regards

Hi! Thanks for your very informative reply, sounds good!

But what do you mean the water comes from the Nile every 3 days a week?? What about the other days? Is that water for shower/ dish-washing/etc. ?

I don't mind buying bottled water....I do here too despite they say it's good.

Yes good advice about lawyer but that can get expensive and my budget is no more than 20,000 EUR.

I'm going now to Google the Senzo Mall :)
Cheers

El Gouna Property

El Gouna Property

Banned
Hi! Thanks for your very informative reply, sounds good!

But what do you mean the water comes from the Nile every 3 days a week?? What about the other days? Is that water for shower/ dish-washing/etc. ?

I don't mind buying bottled water....I do here too despite they say it's good.

Yes good advice about lawyer but that can get expensive and my budget is no more than 20,000 EUR.

I'm going now to Google the Senzo Mall :)
Cheers
In Each Building there is Huge waster tanks so when the water com in the line they fill the tanks till it come again and its enough

for your budget you can get a studio or a small one bedroom apartment

Georgina

Georgina

Cost of living here is cheap to buy petrol, bread, local fruit and vegetables. There is more choice now with imported fruits, etc. which are more expensive. I have lived in El Gouna north of Hurghada for six years. Unfortunately El Gouna is out of your price range. It is a privately owned town with hotels, marinas, hospital, schools, universities, private airport. Because of the problems with a lot of the developments in Hurghada I would recommend living there and renting to start with as Hurghada covers a huge area. Even the developments that have been completed are now suffering problems with maintaining the buildings. Would be better to buy a resale property that you know is working well if you cannot wait for unforeseen delays and the uncertainties of buying off plan.

I live here renewing my tourist visa every year and love every minute of it.

We have a new butchers shop just opened in El Gouna. Despite El Gouna being 20 years old we could only buy frozen meat before this. Here is their price list in Egyptian Pounds (LE) to give you an idea of the cost of meat. The local butchers with fresh meat hanging up on the side of the street in Hurghada will obviously be cheaper!

T Bone 165 le per kilo
Topside 155 per kilo
Joints for Roasting 145 per k
Tenderloin 165 le per kilo
Escalope 185 le per kilo
Leg Bone in 165 le per kilo
Sirloin 165 le per kilo
Shank 175 per kilo
Leg Boneless 195 le per kilo
Rump 165 le per kilo
Osso buco 95 le per kilo
Shoulder Bone in 145 per kilo
Rib Eye 165 le per kilo
Chops 145 per kilo
Rack 210 per kilo
Entrecôte 165 le per kilo
Liver 70 le per kilo
Cutlets 135 per kilo
Topside 165 le per kilo
Kidney 70 per kilo
Chops 135 le per kilo
Cubed silverside 165 per kilo
Schnitzel 125 per kilo
Shank 65 le per kilo
Mince Grade 1 45 le per kilo
Rump 165 per kilo
Prime Steak 165 le per kilo
Mince Grade 2 35 le per kilo
Tenderloin 175 le per kilo
Marinated 195 le per kilo
Schnitzel 125 le per kilo
Boneless Roasting 170 le per k
Lamb Diced 145 per kilo
Stir Fry 165 le per kilo
Marinated Diced 170 per kilo
Liver price on order
Joints Roasting 165 le per kilo
Nw/Aus Available
Beef Kofta 69 le per kilo
Egyptian Bacon 79 le per k
Marinated Beef 175 le per kilo
Beef Burgers 49 le per kilo
Beef Liver 70 Per Kilo
Oxtail 45 le per kilo
Minute Steak 165 le per kilo
Strip loin 165 le per kilo
BZ/AG/Indian Available
Rabbit (EG)
Duck (EG)
Turkey (EG)
Price on order
95 le per kilo
85 le per kilo
Chicken (EG)
Specials
Pork (BZ)
Whole 27 le per kilo
BBQ Packs
Chops 180 le per kilo
Breast 39 le per kilo
Gourmet Sausages
Loin 210 le per kilo
Wings 19 le per kilo
Goat
American Cut Bacon 165 le p k
Thighs 19 le per kilo
Freezer Packs
English Bacon 165 le per kilo
Drumsticks 19 le per kilo
Catering/Party Packs
Prosciutto 390 le per kilo
Giblets & Liver 25 le per kilo
Merguez sausages 49 le per k
Pork Sausages 149 Per Kilo
Shish Kebab 45 le per kilo
Hot Dogs 20 le per pack 375 g
Schnitzel Thigh 24 le per kilo
All Bones 5 le per kilo
Stir Fry 21
Pate price on order
Cordon Bleu 39 le per breast
Chicken Luncheon 45 le per k
Marinated Breast 44 le per k
Marinated Cuts Thigh, Drum, Wing 24 le per kilo
Marinated Chicken Stir Fry Breast 44 le per kilo
Schnitzel Thigh 24 le per kilo

2F2F

Cost of living here is cheap to buy petrol, bread, local fruit and vegetables. There is more choice now with imported fruits, etc. which are more expensive. I have lived in El Gouna north of Hurghada for six years. Unfortunately El Gouna is out of your price range. It is a privately owned town with hotels, marinas, hospital, schools, universities, private airport. Because of the problems with a lot of the developments in Hurghada I would recommend living there and renting to start with as Hurghada covers a huge area. Even the developments that have been completed are now suffering problems with maintaining the buildings. Would be better to buy a resale property that you know is working well if you cannot wait for unforeseen delays and the uncertainties of buying off plan.

I live here renewing my tourist visa every year and love every minute of it.

Many thanks Georgina, great info! I'm not too much worried about meat, too much meat is unhealthy I think...

I had a look at the supermarket (Spinneys website) and prices were good so it sounds good so far.

But what do you mean by:

Even the developments that have been completed are now suffering problems with maintaining the buildings.
Could you be more specific? Is not there a builder's warranty on the new properties?

Thank you

C

CMChris

What you have to realise about Egypt is the Egyptian culture and the way they 'do' business. Certain builders and developers and their entourage of dodgy solicitors aren't to be trusted as far as you can throw them. Just because its written in a contract doesn't actually mean a whole lot. I see you've looked at Mama Mia in Sahl, there are other places in Sahl that are completed and anything being built there also has the backing of ERC and that should be a BIG reassurance. Neil of Rivermead Global would know what's going and what's available. And I totally agree with Georgina, go rent 1st then buy. Being 'on the ground' as such is no substitute for finding what you want over there and you'll be able to talk to people who have bought and learn of the many pitfalls.

2F2F

What you have to realise about Egypt is the Egyptian culture and the way they 'do' business. Certain builders and developers and their entourage of dodgy solicitors aren't to be trusted as far as you can throw them. Just because its written in a contract doesn't actually mean a whole lot. I see you've looked at Mama Mia in Sahl, there are other places in Sahl that are completed and anything being built there also has the backing of ERC and that should be a BIG reassurance. Neil of Rivermead Global would know what's going and what's available. And I totally agree with Georgina, go rent 1st then buy. Being 'on the ground' as such is no substitute for finding what you want over there and you'll be able to talk to people who have bought and learn of the many pitfalls.
Hi Chris,

thanks for your reply.

I understand your point...but I was reading the Mamma Mia thread only because I was curious. If the price is 40,000 Euro cash , I can't afford it now.

I have no idea what "ERC" is/means.

Cheers

Georgina

Georgina

The market selling to foreigners along the Red Sea coast is only a few years old and suddenly boomed with everyone buying off plan as the prices were so cheap compared to Europe. Properties were sold with rental guarantees and big maintenance charges and compulsory expensive furniture packs. Not sure if anyone has ever received anything from a rental guarantee? A lot of developments were never completed and companies disappeared with all the money. You could read all about it on the forums and then the threads were closed down by the developers. There are a lot of people that have lost their money or trying to get their property. Properties have been completed and not finished correctly and not maintained despite owners paying huge charges.

There are also many happy stories too. That's why you need to be careful and there are so many projects to choose from. Do your research carefully then come and see. If you invest wrongly you may have a lot of trouble selling the property again.

2F2F

The market selling to foreigners along the Red Sea coast is only a few years old and suddenly boomed with everyone buying off plan as the prices were so cheap compared to Europe. Properties were sold with rental guarantees and big maintenance charges and compulsory expensive furniture packs. Not sure if anyone has ever received anything from a rental guarantee? A lot of developments were never completed and companies disappeared with all the money. You could read all about it on the forums and then the threads were closed down by the developers. There are a lot of people that have lost their money or trying to get their property. Properties have been completed and not finished correctly and not maintained despite owners paying huge charges.

There are also many happy stories too. That's why you need to be careful and there are so many projects to choose from. Do your research carefully then come and see. If you invest wrongly you may have a lot of trouble selling the property again.
I see.

Well, I need to live in the property so it's a bit different.

I'm happy for anyone to tell me all the required steps in order to avoid being in trouble.

I just read in another thread that is now compulsory to get an official translator for the POA, but is the POA mandatory if you buy face to face?

Thanks

Georgina

Georgina

I see.

Well, I need to live in the property so it's a bit different.

I'm happy for anyone to tell me all the required steps in order to avoid being in trouble.

I just read in another thread that is now compulsory to get an official translator for the POA, but is the POA mandatory if you buy face to face?

Thanks
The majority of the property in the forums is off-plan targeted at foreigners. For your price range maybe you need to seek out the smaller developments targeted for the Egyptian market which you will find by visiting the Hurghada area.

Finding people to tell you things is easy. Finding people you can trust is not.

I don't know about POA. I bought a private resale in El Gouna where all the contracts are standard and I didn't use a lawyer but this was in 2003.

El Gouna Property

El Gouna Property

Banned
The majority of the property in the forums is off-plan targeted at foreigners. For your price range maybe you need to seek out the smaller developments targeted for the Egyptian market which you will find by visiting the Hurghada area.

Finding people to tell you things is easy. Finding people you can trust is not.

I don't know about POA. I bought a private resale in El Gouna where all the contracts are standard and I didn't use a lawyer but this was in 2003.
You are right Gerogina easy to find so many to tell you info but whom you can trust is very difficult and for EL Gouna you made the right choice where a respective development company control everything and you are safe but only if you can afford it :)

J

jojo2005

I purchased a 2 bedroom flat earlier this year in Hurghada from a private developer who has a number of properties. I have met a lot of others who have bought from him and he made the whole process as simple and straightforward as possible. I did have a personal introduction to the seller but I also looked at a lot of other properties. At the moment I am only able to go 3 or 4 times a year for holidays but long term I expect to spend more time there - I absolutely love it although it may not be to everyones taste.
You certainly can live very cheaply especially if you enjoy a healthy diet!
Its definately worth checking the size of water tanks and full time occupancy levels (I'm lucky as my seller lives in the building too - have never run out of water yet!). The household water is just for washing - bottled water is inexpensive for consumption (and safer!) There is some desalination and I believe a new desalination plant currently under construction.
The Red Sea rocks.
Good luck

wemyss1960

wemyss1960

Hi JoJo, It is a pleasant change to hear such positive news regarding your purchase and Hurghada in general. Could you to us where you bought?

a PM would be fine.

J

jojo2005

Hi Stuart,
I bought in El Dahar area - I'd stayed there previously (I had also stayed in Sekalla - and where the promenade now is but wasn't when I stayed there years ago! - Hope that makes sense)
Its a lovely friendly place to be and when I'm there I feel really welcomed home!:)

El Gouna Property

El Gouna Property

Banned
Hi Stuart,
I bought in El Dahar area - I'd stayed there previously (I had also stayed in Sekalla - and where the promenade now is but wasn't when I stayed there years ago! - Hope that makes sense)
Its a lovely friendly place to be and when I'm there I feel really welcomed home!:)
Does the development have a name or its just normal building?

Status
Not open for further replies.