International City - Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lsab

Hello Rus - after reading Chessmasters post it seems he went the legal route. Perhaps he could tell you the solicitor he used and the costs involved. It sounds as though it would be well worth it.
I would think that MINC aren't going to let you out of your contract because you want to live there yourself. For all they know you could live there for a month then turn around and rent it to someone else. It sounds as though it was a lousy contract from the start but if Chessmaster, with his solicitor, managed to get out of it then it must be possible.

Good luck.

C

Chessmaster

Hi all
thats becuase i never signed the so called Supplementary Agreement. I held back signing it as my circumstances changed - in the end i decided to try and take possesion back, and after a slog and lots of rudeness on the part of minc, thats what i did. My solicitors advised had i signed the supplementary agreement there would be a weaker case, but by no means un winnable.

if you want to know more about how to go about it and the solicitor i used, please send me a private message...
i will try and respond to them , but please be patient !
thanks

C

Chessmaster

The basic thing here is that whatever you believe about the 8% offer or not, whether you have any chance of getting out of the rental guarantee with furniture package deal of 8% all depends on how hard you are willing to fight and how much money you want to spend. It also depends on whether or not you signed and returned their Supplementary agreement document or not.

You all know which company (The Company) I am refering to, so I will not mention them here becuase I wouldnt want to get into any trouble .....

Just to be clear, further to my own investigations, the various names of companys commonly refered to as the owners in your documentation are all related in ownership, as they are just off-shore companies set up by the owners of The Company ( who by the way are 2 brothers one based in London and one based in Dubai ) – All of these companies are owned by the same individuals – just methods of tax evasion or tax avoidance – depends on your point of view.

They allege the Reservation form, an excel spreadsheet form with some very very basic terms on it that I signed back in March 2005 is a legally binding document. Any solicitor will show you it is not a legally binding document, because it doesn’t state legal jurisdiction or any detailed terms of agreement or contract.

I signed the agreement in London from a UK sales agent and all documents stated the name of The Company (the seller) and the deposits etc were paid in sterling £ in the UK. So how does that make the piece of paper I signed which was to reserve a unit for purchase from Nakheel ( via a seller in London with a London address ) a legal document in Dubai, and that the Court of Dubai will uphold as legitimate??? Doh!

In addition, My solicitor ( quite an abrupt and unhelpful guy – the type of lawyer who wont talk to u unless you agree to his hourly rate !!!) in Dubai said that ,

“you are not however legally obliged to sign the Unit Sale and Purchase Supplementary Agreement (“Supplementary Agreement”) because:

a. The [Name of offshore holding company] (whose name the Supplementary Agreement was in) is a third party and is not privy to your previous agreement with The Company under the terms and condition of the Reservation Form;
b. The Supplementary Agreement is unduly onerous and could not have been contemplated when you signed the Reservation Form, these provisions in particular:
i. Section 2.2 – requiring Purchaser to pay for damage due to intentional and negligent acts or omissions of the users/lessee who were authorized by the Seller;
ii. Section 2.4 - compelling Purchaser has to indemnify the Seller for damages and losses incurred in connection with the lease unless damage is directly caused by Seller. Purchaser only need indemnify Seller where loss is directly caused or is attributable to the Purchaser.

When the Nakheel Sales Agreement was sent to me in October, along with the Supplementary Agreement, I signed and returned the SPA as requested but I held onto the Supp Agreement as I wanted to renegotiate the 8%. The lady there, whom I am sure you know, was exceptionally rude, unhelpful and evasive and downright refused to help me speak to a member of management. I complained, received the same treatment from the Director of Operations and owners of the business, and decided to pursue the matter through sheer bloody-mindedness.

I did not sign the supplementary agreement document and started communicating with The Company from last October by email. They always refused to enter into discussions with me and over the time, showed their true deceitful colours. I enlisted the advice of the sales agent whom I bought from in London, and through him they intimated to me that they would give me the property back if I paid them 50,000 dirhams as a compensation payment for the furniture pack… I just ignored the extortion and went ahead and engaged a solicitor firm in Dubai.

They continued their very rude behaviour and ‘don’t give a damn type’ attitude, and by this time I had promised the flat to someone else who was moving to the UAE. I decided to ask for the apt back empty with no rental agreement . They sent me 3 or 4 letters saying I was legally obliged to sign the Supplementary Agreement but I refused. So when I appointed the solicitors, he reviewed all the info, suggested the above, wrote them a letter – they sat on the letter for 2 months before finally agreeing to hand me the keys ‘to bring the matter to a close’.

Their solicitors must have told them it would be too expensive to fight it in the courts – which is the only real option available to you if you want to really pursue. It cost me 6000 dirhams in solicitors fees ( which I found extortionate but then I despise solicitors as worse than the criminals they defend ),and I didn’t even get as far as a court door. But I got my keys back finally in late May, and handed it over to a rental agent who has last week rented it out already. I will receive more money ( after management fees) for the unit in 9 months than if I had kept it with Minc for the 2 year rental agreement.

That’s my sorry story …. I don’t know if it helps you but its not so easy to get it back – I count myself lucky that I didn’t sign the Supplementary Agreement and also that I’m an easy going guy , but they really managed to p*** me off with their couldnt care attitude.

In the end they lost out because if they had only had a discussion wth me when I asked for it last October, I would have probably blissfully agreed to the 2yr rent and just kept my mouth shut!

Good luck guys, if I can help more, please let me know, but please dont ask for my opinion, as its probaly not relevant to the facts of your individual case....

R

reddevil

I think we all should thank Chessmaster for taking the time to share his experiences with the rest of us and for writing a very long and detailed report. :)

Thank You Chessmaster.

L

Lsab

I second that. Although I'm not in the same position, I read through the post and very much appreciate the time and effort you put into writing it. Thanks Chessmaster

H

Hameed

Hey Hameed, congratulations....your keys at last. Did you pick them up? We were in Dubai for the day yesterday, dropping off the keys so that we can sell our studio!!
Hi Lsab,
Many thanks for asking. I did get the keys and rented the apt on the same day via Spring Rose who are based at D4 china cluster. They gave me cheque which I cashed already.... I was surprise how quickly this was done. I do recommend them since everything has gone smoothly so far.

L

Liton Miah

Thank you chessmaster for sharing your story with us, unfortunately I signed the agreement. Who did you rent your property out with in the end, so I could possibly get a quote with them when my contract runs out in two years? I would also be grateful if anybody else could give me names of agents they would recommend, as I am a bit new to all this.

Many thanks.

M

MishMish

There is a very big bachelor problem particularly in the Greece cluster of International City for some reason. Be very cautious of agents especially the ones based at International City.
In the space of one month I have twice been lied to by agents telling me they were putting a couple in my apartment - which turns out to be sublet to labourers!
Nakheel are implacing a new rule that will fine the landlords or cut off the DEWA. This is good for us owners.
I feel sorry for the labourers but there are camps for them. They are bringing down the community. Thankfully I have managed to find a very nice professional couple to rent out to, however a lot of couples that I showed the flat too were horified buy the Indian/Pakistani bachelors crowding on the balcony's.

R

reddevil

There is a very big bachelor problem particularly in the Greece cluster of International City for some reason.

Nakheel are implacing a new rule that will fine the landlords or cut off the DEWA.

a lot of couples that I showed the flat too were horified buy the Indian/Pakistani bachelors crowding on the balcony's.
MishMish - this could be worrying news indeed for the community if the bachelors are causing problems. I was there a couple fo weeks ago during the daytime but only saw families - maybe the bachelors were still at work?

Where did you hear that Nakheel were going to fine the landlords? I wouldn't think that Nakheel could legally stop the rooms being rented to anybody as long as the tenants were not doing anything wrong??

Let's hope there is a fair spread of people in all districts?

M

MishMish

In reply to reddevil...

This came from Nakheel themselves in an email. I was given 1 week to evict the bachelors before I would encure fines.
They said the new system of having the power to cut off DEWA is in the process of being implemented.
If you read the handbook you was given when you received the handover it clearly states studio is for 2 persns and regular 1 bedroom apt 3, max 4.
Good lets hope it helps the situation

A

aziqbal

does anyone know where nakeel office is in dubai cus i need to go vist them and get my title deeds? has anyone visted them before? thanks

B

Bhaya

Rental of L6 units

Anyone renting their Greece L6 buiding unit via a management company. Please let me know what sort of service are they providing.

K

kkazziha

anyone dealing with Minc properties and not getting their rental guarantee for the past 6 months... Minc are screwing me and I want to do something about it. They owe me 6 months rent and I don't live in Dubai, don't know what to do. Sue? or Get screwed!

eyeC

eyeC

hi

aziqbal ...................Nakheel office near international city

kkazziha......................... can you explain how they owe you six months ,have you given your property to someone for rent .and they r not paying ?

:dancing:

A

anil

does anyone know where nakeel office is in dubai cus i need to go vist them and get my title deeds? has anyone visted them before? thanks
It is near Ibn Batutta Mall.
If you email Nakheel and ask for instruction they should give you a map.

M

mprez

International city is the most afforadable place in dubai, my last research revealed that the prices have gone down to 27 k annually for studios.

P

p_n_taylor

MINC, property, Dubai

anyone dealing with Minc properties and not getting their rental guarantee for the past 6 months... Minc are screwing me and I want to do something about it. They owe me 6 months rent and I don't live in Dubai, don't know what to do. Sue? or Get screwed!
Yes, we are in the same situation. They have signed a 'guaranteed rent' agreement with us for a property in International City and can't pay. They are absolutely useless at providing any information or updates (but keep promising to do so). They even moved office without telling us and changed their phone numbers!

P

paddyh007

International City Greece - Minc Property

Hi, I am in the same boat and have not received any rent since Dec 09. I keep getting fed lies about staff members who stole from the company and directors who sign cheques being ill and on annual leave.

I rang 5 times this week and each time they promised to ring me back and explain but they didnt. On Thursday evening I received a letter by email to say they were is severe financial difficulty and would not be able to pay me for at least 12 months. I rang the London office today because Dubai is closed until Sunda and they were even less helpful.

I really do not know what to do at this point. I really need the money as Im getting married in a couple of months. I am considering travelling to Dubai to see if there is tenants in my apartment and if so to explain situation and either deal direct with them or find my own tenants.

Has anybody any suggestions ?

A

alden

We was in a similar postion to with a company, a director had been using peoples rent money to pay for a court case against himself, the outcome was he had to sell some property he owned off to pay people back,as yet we have not got a single penny back and doubt if we ever will.
So i suggest you use one of the more well known agents before you lose more money, as for the money owed to you i hope iam wrong but i cant see you ever been payed,

P

paddyh007

MINC Property Rental Guarantee

The company are around for decades so I assumed that they were reputable. I dont believe their excuse about a member of staff cooking the books I think they were just buying more time.

The company are still trading and that is why I want to go over and confront them face to face and see if it makes any difference. In their letter of explanation that they emailed me they claim that they will start paying rental incomes again in August for current rents owed and they are parking the old debt for now, so Im faced with the dilema of sticking with them or walking away.

In Ireland we have free Citizens Information Centres which offer free legal advice. I would like to know if there is something similar in UAE or what is the best way of trying to get my money back?

Status
Not open for further replies.