Guaranteed Rental Returns

• Thread starter Dia Soleado Invest
  • Start date

How important is a guaranteed rental return to you when investing abroad?

• I wouldn't invest in an emerging market without it.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • It would be nice, but it wouldn't be the deal breaker if it wasn't available.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Not at all important, I would prefer to manage the rentals myslef.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dia Soleado Invest

In today’s evolving overseas investment property market we are seeing more and more developers offering some sort of guaranteed rental return. The question you may ask yourself, however, is just how are they guaranteeing a return based on the rental of your unit before it has even been built yet? Well, there are really a couple of ways that this can be achieved.

The first way is to simply add the return to the selling price. Obviously, this is not the preferred way as you are in essence just paying for your own return, which is given back to you over a fixed period. Unfortunatley, in a marketplace where the catch phrase ‘guaranteed rental return’ has become such a high priority for prospective investors, this is simply being used as a means to lure in purchasers.

The second way, which is the way in which all of our developments that we are marketing go about it, is to sign on National and International tour operators who in turn offer the developer a fixed price per annum for a reserved amount of units. In this way you are not exposed to flucuation in the rental market as returns are guaranteed irrespective of occupancy.

The best guarnatee in my opinion is still going to come from informed investing in strategic locations. We have all heard it time and again, but location, location, location has never been more true than it is nowadays and with a plethera of destinations to choose from it is crucial to get it right from the start.

One of the things we strive for at Dia Soleadio Invest is to not just bring you the latest from the emerging markets, but to really source out the best that those areas have to offer irrespective of guaranteed rental returns.

So, as enticing as a guaranteed return may sound, don’t forget about all of the other factors that make a great investment great!

J

John

I went for option 2... BUT if there is ever a "guaranteed rental return" I would take this "guarantee" with a pinch of salt. It seems plenty of agents and developers are promising returns that are simply black lies if you study the markets invovled at all.

D

Dia Soleado Invest

I am noticing a lot more developers out there, particularly in Australia, who are taking the initiative to do the research and are coming out with independant rental appraisals from local management companies, which is a big help and really gives you the full scope of the market that you are getting into.

It would sure be nice if all of the developers out there could back their guarantees in a similar way.

C

catalogguy

No return is guaranteed

Enough projects fail that a wise investor knows that what sounds too good to be true definitely is.

I am noticing a lot more developers out there, particularly in Australia, who are taking the initiative to do the research and are coming out with independant rental appraisals from local management companies, which is a big help and really gives you the full scope of the market that you are getting into.

It would sure be nice if all of the developers out there could back their guarantees in a similar way.

D

Dia Soleado Invest

How true this is. Unfortunately, many people end up experiencing this first hand before coming to understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.