NY Times Article On Dubai Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sasherwani2

I told you guys, the Western media will NOT get be under any kinds of pressure when describing Dubai's situation. Its good news since NY Times shall definately be taken seriously! But still a lot more to come.

W

Wannaberich

I told you guys, the Western media will NOT get be under any kinds of pressure when describing Dubai's situation. Its good news since NY Times shall definately be taken seriously! But still a lot more to come.
What a ridiculous thing to say.It obvious to anyone with half a brain that the western media hate the Muslim state of Dubai and are continously printing negative reports.Much of which without any real research.

T

TommyC

...hate the Muslim state of Dubai...
Huh?? I'm not really sure what you're trying to turn this into, but if it because of desperation to sell real estate I think you should go out and have a walk before posting again.

H

Hussein Awadh

??

Gulf News said:
Three face Dh43m bribery allegations
By Bassam Za'za' Senior Reporter
Published: February 11, 2009, 22:55

Dubai: Two senior managers and a legal advisor at Dubai Waterfront, a leading property developer, are being questioned over bribery allegations worth more than Dh43 million, sources told Gulf News on Wednesday.

Senior Public Prosecution sources said the Australian managers, 43-year-old Mathew James Joyce and 39-year-old M.R., and their 45-year-old compatriot legal advisor, A.J., were detained around two weeks ago and are being questioned in relation to a business deal they struck with an offshore company.

Joyce's lawyer Salem Al Sha'ali, of Al Sha'ali and Co Advocates and Legal Consultants, said his client's situation is "clean and lawful".

"He denied the charges. The suspected transaction cannot be considered a bribe. The figure isn't exact and the amount was given back because the deal didn't go through. It's a big misunderstanding."

Al Sha'ali said the Public Prosecution was keeping him in the dark concerning the investigation. "We have submitted our legal response which counters the allegations. We have witnesses as well," he said.

Prosecution sources told Gulf News that the suspects have not been charged with bribery yet as 'the investigations continue'.

Link to Article

Well if the allegations are true, then there's definately something good going on.

W

Wannaberich

Huh?? I'm not really sure what you're trying to turn this into, but if it because of desperation to sell real estate I think you should go out and have a walk before posting again.
Dude I think its you whos in need of a walk and a reality check too.
I've lost count of the number of negative reports Ive read on Dubai from the western media.Disgust for its bling,extravagance,opulence,etc.
Yet I dont read the same on Monaco for example.
Ive read many posts on various forums from members who also think part of the reason is because Dubai is a Muslim state.It it was in Europe then no problem.
The west do not want Dubai or the Middle East to become a financial hub also and to take business away from the west.
Deal with reality.

O and PS,I'm a european not a muslim.

E

El Gouna

I've lost count of the number of negative reports Ive read on Dubai from the western media.Disgust for its bling,extravagance,opulence,etc.
Ive read many posts on various forums from members who also think part of the reason is because Dubai is a Muslim state.It it was in Europe then no problem.
The west do not want Dubai or the Middle East to become a financial hub also and to take business away from the west.
Deal with reality.

YOU ARE 100% RIGHT DoBuy!!

H

Hussein Awadh

I'm a european not a muslim.
Sorry to point this out, but just wanted to correct this.

Muslim is not an ethnicity or a race. It is a religion. You can have European Muslims, Indian Muslims etc; you can also have Christian Arabs etc;

Islam is a religion like Christianity and Ehudism and Buddhism and many other religions in the world.

W

Wannaberich

Sorry to point this out, but just wanted to correct this.

Muslim is not an ethnicity or a race. It is a religion. You can have European Muslims, Indian Muslims etc; you can also have Christian Arabs etc;

Islam is a religion like Christianity and Ehudism and Buddhism and many other religions in the world.

Thankyou for telling me something I already know.Your point?

W

Wannaberich

Here you go Tommy C,two reports in two highly respected UK newspapers to make my point.

The first one in The Times,from some twat who slated Dubai without ever going there !He basically got his info from travel guides ! Whats even more amazing is that his editors allowed this crap to be published
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/sathnam_sanghera/article5267814.ece

The second in The Guardian from another idiot who slated Dubai after having spent 4 hours in a bus around Dubai !
Germaine Greer: From its artificial islands to its boring new skycraper, Dubai's architecture is beyond crass | Art and design | The Guardian

Comment?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

financier888

Deal with reality.

In Sept ’08 I was in New York City attending a national Finance conference. I met with many CEO’s & MD from major finance firms – many in the RE Sector. NOT ONE – not a single one I spoke with had a bad word to say about Dubai. In fact, many were intrigued about Dubai and were looking forward to visit here and explore opportunities. Some of those I spoke with were Jewish! And they also wanted to visit Dubai!

(Incidentally – Dubai doesn’t have more ‘bling’ than Hollywood – Rodeo Drive - or Vegas.)

Please do not confuse some of the rhetoric you hear from US Politicians being negative about ‘oil producing states’ – that does NOT reflect the majority of US citizens. (just look at the 60%+ that voted for Obama that has Muslim roots…) and his popularity is currently at 69% + Whatever negative reporting you may see about Dubai in western media – it represents a mere fraction of the negative news on the local economies… Best to keep this all in context and not read too much into it – especially, if the motives you suggest are more of your subjective resonance, not remotely connected with the intentions of the reporter. I have read articles quoting top Saudi investors predicting the ‘Fall of Dubai’ & the Bubble Bursting last summer. It would seem there are more Arabs that were jealous of Dubai than westerners… (and I have the articles archived…)

We are ALL in this together and ONLY by working together can see our way clear of this

Salam !

H

Hussein Awadh

Thankyou for telling me something I already know.Your point?
My point is, that it doesn't matter if you're European or Asian or American to be a Muslim. You can still be European AND Muslim. You can't say "I'm European, Not a Muslim" because then you are referring to Muslims as a race/ethnicity and not a religion. I'm NOT attacking you here, I'm simply correcting.

That's like me saying I'm European, not a Christian, so on so forth.

would seem there are more Arabs that were jealous of Dubai than westerners…
Jelousy has no Origins... It exists in anyone.

W

Wannaberich

My point is, that it doesn't matter if you're European or Asian or American to be a Muslim. You can still be European AND Muslim. You can't say "I'm European, Not a Muslim" because then you are referring to Muslims as a race/ethnicity and not a religion. I'm NOT attacking you here, I'm simply correcting.

That's like me saying I'm European, not a Christian, so on so forth.

Jelousy has no Origins... It exists in anyone.
I though it was clear what I said.I said Dubai is a Muslim state,which it is and that it seems some in the western media are against Dubai because of this fact.Maybe.
Or maybe its because some westerners just dont like Arabs or Arab nations.They are jeolous of the oil the money the opulence etc?

W

Wannaberich

In Sept ’08 I was in New York City attending a national Finance conference. I met with many CEO’s & MD from major finance firms – many in the RE Sector. NOT ONE – not a single one I spoke with had a bad word to say about Dubai. In fact, many were intrigued about Dubai and were looking forward to visit here and explore opportunities. Some of those I spoke with were Jewish! And they also wanted to visit Dubai!

(Incidentally – Dubai doesn’t have more ‘bling’ than Hollywood – Rodeo Drive - or Vegas.)

Please do not confuse some of the rhetoric you hear from US Politicians being negative about ‘oil producing states’ – that does NOT reflect the majority of US citizens. (just look at the 60%+ that voted for Obama that has Muslim roots…) and his popularity is currently at 69% + Whatever negative reporting you may see about Dubai in western media – it represents a mere fraction of the negative news on the local economies… Best to keep this all in context and not read too much into it – especially, if the motives you suggest are more of your subjective resonance, not remotely connected with the intentions of the reporter. I have read articles quoting top Saudi investors predicting the ‘Fall of Dubai’ & the Bubble Bursting last summer. It would seem there are more Arabs that were jealous of Dubai than westerners… (and I have the articles archived…)

We are ALL in this together and ONLY by working together can see our way clear of this

Salam !
I didnt quote US politicians but western journalists.Of course you are correct,the opinions of these few doesnt necessarily reflect the opinions of the masses.
The average person that I speak to is quite interested in Dubai and doesnt speak against the place.
Some would say theres no such thing as bad publicity.

P.S I was in NY last sept too and had a great time.

F

financier888

Here you go Tommy C,two reports in two highly respected UK newspapers to make my point.

The first one in The Times,from some twat who slated Dubai without ever going there !He basically got his info from travel guides ! Whats even more amazing is that his editors allowed this crap to be published
Why I'd rather die than visit Dubai | Sathnam Sanghera - Times Online

The second in The Guardian from another idiot who slated Dubai after having spent 4 hours in a bus around Dubai !
Germaine Greer: From its artificial islands to its boring new skycraper, Dubai's architecture is beyond crass | Art and design | The Guardian

Comment?
I read these two articles and the comments. If they had been written in the USA - I reckon they would have been published in a trailer-park newsletter... or maybe Rupert Murdoch.. ?

You have one writer - writing about Dubai and he's never been here!! ? (cyber travel writer??) I know there are several locations I am not keen to visit - but saying 'I'd rather die than visit Dubai ' ! ? (he better hopes no one puts that to the test!!) The writers name looks Indian. Maybe a rich uncle that's a trader here cut him out the will or his brother lost money on deal in Ajman.... For him to state that the only Brits coming here to work are ' brits that failed in the UK' - 'are moving to Dubai' - well, that comment deserves a slap. (sorry, but it's true and some of the brits I know would if they had the chance..) I am sure that staying at home in the UK and working, (if you still had a job) and paying 50% income tax, has nothing to do with the numerous british expats around the world and here... There's no excuse you can provide for the unexcusable... Better he stays home in the Uk and gets mugged by a skinhead..

The second artilce by Germain Greer - she was able to sum-up the Dubai experience in a 4 hour bus ride during a layover.. At least she appreciated the 'petunias' - (now I know what those flowers are called...) taking one look at her picture, I hope she never come backs... Wouldn't want to see that mug on a dark street at night.... damn scary...

I remember as if it was yesterday when I was first assigned to ME and was being sent to Dubai. I almost quit on the spot and didn't want to come here. I told the MD I thought he was 'nuts' - he persuaded me to 'try once' and assured me, I'd like it. To my utter surprise - I did and fell in love with this place. A year later I was living here full time.

I've lived in many cities all over the world - and there are always plus+ and minus- - but they all have their unique features, people and culture. For me, Dubai was 'fresh' and exciting - a work in progress that will go through many changes and permuations - but that's what I find fascinating about it. It has an interesting mix of cultures and it's the people that make the city - not necessarily the building or architecture which you may or may not like... I guess some brits are upset that Dubai has the tallest tower in the world? Well, they shouldnt be - Dubai was never a British colony!!!

let's keep our sights focussed on bright future as we wait out the storm

S

sonofthedesert

This one certainly set off a bit of a firestorm. That was unintended. One has to realize that all media outlets from all countries have some sort of agenda. That is a well known fact and most people that are reasonably intelligent accept that and try to view these things with a critical eye. That is called critical thinking. Publications and networks in the 'West' have certain agendas and political leanings just like many here in the Middle East do. To equate the NY Times with particular anti-Muslem types of biased reporting is false. It certainly has biases, but it is one of the most 'liberal' newspapers in the United States. They have consistently questioned Bush and the Republicans war mongering policies while being ardent supporters of Obama. They question the Christian fundamentalist and creationism movement underway in America (this week they even have a special edition on Darwin),they discuss and examine major environmental issues, the sleazes that caused this economic catatrophy etc. To say that the writers and editors at the NY Times are jealous of Dubai is absurd! This article merely reports on many of the things WE KNOW are happening here. We have been talking about these things for months. Why is is that when the NY Times reports it, it is considered Dubai bashing...or even worse: Muslem Bashing? Ridiculous.

Last edited:
T

TommyC

Why I'd rather die than visit Dubai | Sathnam Sanghera - Times Online

Comment?
I have no idea why you mentioned anything about religion, that was completely uncalled for and unnecessary, and I can't see how it relates to the news reporting in any way. I understand that other countries news reports are critical for you. You're an agent, you need to sell, you need the buyers here at whatever cost there is (including completely disregarding the Code of Ethics Welcome to the Official Dubai Real Estate Community once agreed upon). That's the way the entire real estate business works, as I'm sure you're aware. The only thing I find in your comments is frustration regarding lack of sales and not enough PR to kickstart it now or, preferably, yesterday to what it was.

Since the government here have no intention of being transparent (even promoting laws to control media even more, as discussed here: http://www.propertyforum.com/forum/dubai-property/11740-uae-may-gag-media-amid-economic-woe-scandals.html and also mentioned in this news article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/world/middleeast/12dubai.html?_r=1&hp : "Instead of moving toward greater transparency, the emirates seem to be moving in the other direction. A new draft media law would make it a crime to damage the country’s reputation or economy, punishable by fines of up to 1 million dirhams (about $272,000). Some say it is already having a chilling effect on reporting about the crisis.") and show/tell the real facts I find it refreshing at least someone does. As stated in a newsarticle: FT.com / Comment / Analysis - Emirate on the ebb

Bankers worry that the government remains in denial about the depth of its problems, given the slowdown facing its services economy and the closure of international financial markets. “Dubai is still just trying to market its way out of this huge hole,” says one.
And that's the most worrying part, because in other countries they can at least admit the extent of the problems and act on them. Here it is more about covering up and keep claiming there's no fire even though we all can see that there's a huge fire behind your back.

Here's another example:
Driven down by debt, Dubai expats give new meaning to long-stay car park

And the official comment on this, 11 cars!:
Only 11 cars abandoned at airport in past year

I think this comment on the last article sums up the kind of reports we're getting from official sources
What will probably happen is that they'll clarify that there are only 11 of the total 900+ (or whatever the recent 1-2 month figure is) which cannot be traced to the: original owner and auto loan providing bank.
They'll say it is the efficiency of the system in tracking cars (aka Salik RFID tags) that enabled them to trace most of the cars back to the bank or dealership.
The remaining 11 were stripped of tags, plates and unique manufacturer number (chassis number).
Then a report will come out banning auto loans outright to bachelors, as they have a higher flight risk, and only provide them to family members (people in families of 4 or more). To bolster the lost car sales they'll limit the number of people to a car to 3 so that families may have to split the drivers between 2 cars giving them license plates ending indifferent numbers ie odd and even. (note this can bolster Salik Revenues)

Then in the "Green Push" they'll tax both cars, or better yet restrict cars ending in even numbers to driving every second day and odd numbers on odd numbered days.

I'll let you Choose your own next installment to the saga..
This comment is pretty much in line with how things have been changed before, as discussed here: http://www.propertyforum.com/forum/dubai-property/11812-another-clarification-regarding-laws-policies.html

As I've said before:
I believe the key point in this entire argumentation is being missed out.

No, the crisis is not limited to Dubai...BUT, the PR machine Dubai have claimed until very recently that is was to be unaffected by the crisis and thus misleading prospective buyers.

This forum is about investments in property. It is to serve the purpose of discussing facts and risks involved in this particular market. And this market has and is still (though to a lesser extent) fuelled by the propaganda coming from official sources (newspapers and government approved developers/real estate agents) which not even remotely covers all the facts that are to be considered by a prospective investor (there are a lot of brokers that should read up on the "Code of Ethics" they once agreed upon). As an investor with actual experience I definitely feel that I cannot happily watch other prospective investors be mislead the same way I was.

This is not about what will happen in so and so many years, this is about making visible the facts that a prospective investor needs to know before making a good, well-informed, decision if and when/where to invest. When that very investor KNOWS:

• that the Law 13 he's been told about by developers and government approved developers/real estate agents and read about on the OFFICIAL government webpage, isn't valid in the form it's STILL being published, and
  • how government approved developers and real estate agents work and what stories he can expect and what questions to ask and what answers to get ON PAPER, and
  • that the information he finds in the local newspapers are heavily biased (with a few exceptions),and
  • that an "escrow" account isn't really protected, and
  • that developers have actually ran away, and
  • that it may take years and years before the market value catches up with the price you paid, no matter how good the location etc. was claimed to be, by which time you'll probably realize that your neighbor bought at half of your price, and
  • that mortgages are currently extremely restricted and interest rates high, high, high, and
  • that once the papers are signed he's left on his own no matter what slogans and claims government approved developers/real estate agents have made before (they won't be accountable for anything they've said/promised),and
  • that the law in this country can change overnight, and
  • that extensive construction delays is the rule, not the exception, and
  • that the quality of the buildings leave a lot to desire, and
  • the list continues...

then, and only then, will he be able to assess the risks involved in investments in Dubai and is able to compare them to other places and then make his own decision about when/where/if to invest. Those are current facts and I can see why most of the government approved developers/real estate agents are willing to step over dead bodies to keep them away from the public eye: Without sales they can't make a living. But is a virtually inflated market really anything anyone desires? The desperation seems to exist on both sides; investors that want to get out at any cost and developers/real estate agents that by any means try to convince prospective investors to buy just to get hold of the commission.
So, what are we trying to achieve here?

I stick to this one:
As an investor with actual experience I definitely feel that I cannot happily watch other prospective investors be mislead the same way I was.
Happily knowing that once a prospective investor have had all this information presented to him and analyzed, and feel this is the time and place to invest, all fine. Because no matter what you say regarding other news being to negative or whatever, the fact remains that A LOT of honest people have been stuck in Dubai because of their believe in the vision which they were convinced of by the government, their news, and their APPROVED real estate agents. The very same vision that is now falling apart quickly at the same time as the government is turning their back on the laws that investors took into consideration when making their choice to invest.

No one wants to end up here, but what does the approved agents care about that, when the papers are signed....not their problem any more.
The Knowledge - Dubai News, Opinion, Comments, Blogs & Interviews - TimeOutDubai.com

W

Wannaberich

This one certainly set off a bit of a firestorm. That was unintended. One has to realize that all media outlets from all countries have some sort of agenda. That is a well known fact and most people that are reasonably intelligent accept that and try to view these things with a critical eye. That is called critical thinking. Publications and networks in the 'West' have certain agendas and political leanings just like many here in the Middle East do. To equate the NY Times with particular anti-Muslem types of biased reporting is false. It certainly has biases, but it is one of the most 'liberal' newspapers in the United States. They have consistently questioned Bush and the Republicans war mongering policies while being ardent supporters of Obama. They question the Christian fundamentalist and creationism movement underway in America (this week they even have a special edition on Darwin),they discuss and examine major environmental issues, the sleazes that caused this economic catatrophy etc. To say that the writers and editors at the NY Times are jealous of Dubai is absurd! This article merely reports on many of the things WE KNOW are happening here. We have been talking about these things for months. Why is is that when the NY Times reports it, it is considered Dubai bashing...or even worse: Muslem Bashing? Ridiculous.
The NY Times may very well be a good newspaper generally,but personally I have to discredit a report that gets alot of its info from secondhand information,i,e,quotes this newspaper and that newspaper etc.
I also have to discredit a report that states:
' Dubai — once hailed as the economic superpower of the Middle East — looking like a ghost town'

S

sonofthedesert

The NY Times may very well be a good newspaper generally,but personally I have to discredit a report that gets alot of its info from secondhand information,i,e,quotes this newspaper and that newspaper etc.
I also have to discredit a report that states:
' Dubai — once hailed as the economic superpower of the Middle East — looking like a ghost town'
With respect to it looking like a ghost town, I'd have to agree to an extent. How many buyers are there these days? Not exactly banging down the proverbial doors are they? Have you actually seen how many empty apartments there are? Have you seen how many lights are off at night? As one reader suggested recently: they're not out smoking shisha. They're empty! How about renters? Are people having any easy time getting renters and enough rent money to cover their mortgages? Not lately!

Dude, your arguments and viewpoints are seriously clouded by your unsubstantiated bisaes!

Last edited:
W

Wannaberich

How many buyers are there these days? Not exactly banging doen the proverbial doors are they? Have you actually seen how many empty apartments there are? Have you seen how many lights are off at night? As one reader suggested recently: they're not out smoking shisha. They're empty! How about renters? Are people having any esay time getting renters and enough rent money to cover their mortgages? Not lately!

Dude, your arguments and viewpoints are seriously clouded by your unsubstantiated bisaes!
You've gone off the subject.I am talking about the article from the NY Times
and how they have taken alot of their info from other publications.Lazy journalism.
As for these thousands of empty apartments,there were thousands also empty 6 months ago,1 year ago,18 months ago.

Dubai is in big trouble which I havent denied and it will probably get worse before it gets better.
What aggravates me however is the crap western newspapers print without
doing any of their own research.
Were there really 3000 cars left at the airport?Doubtful.
Dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.