world cup cities

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
The list of potential cities for the world cup are:

Porto Alegre, Florianopolis, Curitiba, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Goiania, Campo Grande, Cuiaba, Rio Branco, Manaus, Belen, Salvador, Recife, Natal, Fortaleza and Sao Paulo

Of course Rio, SP, and Brasilia will be selected by Fifa, but FIfa is allowing 12 cities to host games instead of 10 as originally intended.

Fifa confirms 12 host cities for Brazil 2014

Bets anyone??

D

DGM42

Lets hope Belo Horizonte will be chosen, purely selfish of course as that is where I will be and can make some money on shor term rents.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets hope Belo Horizonte will be chosen, purely selfish of course as that is where I will be and can make some money on shor term rents.
I was in South Africa for xmas and a lot of hotel owners told me Fifa has been going through the country block booking every hotel in the host cities for 3 months in 2010. They negotiate with the hotels to pay them 2007 rates and then put 40-50% on those prices to offer to the public. They were even block booking hotels on the Garden Route and places like Hamanus which are miles away from any games.

That should give some idea of what sort of rentals you could achieve for that time.

Regards,
Rob.

M

MovingSoon

I'll bet on Rio.
Seems like picking of the cities goes together with other world sporting events -and Rio just hosted the Pan American games so I'll put my money on them...

B

Blc

The list of potential cities for the world cup are:

Porto Alegre, Florianopolis, Curitiba, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Goiania, Campo Grande, Cuiaba, Rio Branco, Manaus, Belen, Salvador, Recife, Natal, Fortaleza and Sao Paulo

Of course Rio, SP, and Brasilia will be selected by Fifa, but FIfa is allowing 12 cities to host games instead of 10 as originally intended.

Fifa confirms 12 host cities for Brazil 2014

Bets anyone??
Fortaleza,Salvador and Recife will get the games in the north east. Manaus or Belem fighting for a place. Finals in Brasila

Natal will miss out, new stadium plans were submited in December in Rio and i did not see any plans for the Natal Stadium. With no flights direct from the US i guess the writing is on the wall. The Fortaleza stadium plans included hotels on the site along with Conv centre looked alot like the Berlin stadium.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Fortaleza,Salvador and Recife will get the games in the north east. Manaus or Belem fighting for a place. Finals in Brasila

Natal will miss out, new stadium plans were submited in December in Rio and i did not see any plans for the Natal Stadium. With no flights direct from the US i guess the writing is on the wall. The Fortaleza stadium plans included hotels on the site along with Conv centre looked alot like the Berlin stadium.
Blc,

Why would direct flights from the US affect Natal's chances, as men's football isn't that popular in the states anyway. Pretty much like formula one racing the world cup's richest and most influential market has always been Europe.

Rob.

A

Adriano

Anyone who knows when the decision will be taken?

B

Blc

Blc,

Why would direct flights from the US affect Natal's chances, as men's football isn't that popular in the states anyway. Pretty much like formula one racing the world cup's richest and most influential market has always been Europe.

Rob.
I agree that soccer is not that intresting to the yanks however lots of people live in the states form other countries. Mexico/Brazil/Colombia ect.

I will bet you 2000 $R That Natal will not be named mainly down to them making no effort to get the games. Also to close to Recife who will be named.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree that soccer is not that intresting to the yanks however lots of people live in the states form other countries. Mexico/Brazil/Colombia ect.

I will bet you 2000 $R That Natal will not be named mainly down to them making no effort to get the games. Also to close to Recife who will be named.
Sorry but R$2k is a bit rich for me, plus I really wouldn't want to bet that much on decisions that FIFA make as they don't seem logical half the time anyway :).

Rob.

B

Blc

Sorry but R$2k is a bit rich for me, plus I really wouldn't want to bet that much on decisions that FIFA make as they don't seem logical half the time anyway :).

Rob.
Rob

Good point ,anyway even thogh Natal wont get the games wont effect Rentals as its so close to Recife/Fortaleza ect supporters will stay in Natal and travel as it has so many good hotels Beaches ect. I would rater stay in Natal than Recife anyday.

BLC

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rob

Good point ,anyway even thogh Natal wont get the games wont effect Rentals as its so close to Recife/Fortaleza ect supporters will stay in Natal and travel as it has so many good hotels Beaches ect. I would rater stay in Natal than Recife anyday.

BLC

As I was saying in a previous post about South Africa, FIFA were block booking hotels all up and down the coastline even though there aren't any games anyway near there. Since they reserved the hotels for 3 months they must assume there will be lots of tourists not only watching the games but travelling a lot as well.

Rob.

debzor

debzor

You would be amazed at how popular soccer is becoming in the US, particularily amongst kids of all ages in schools. It may have something to do with the ability to play sport with the parents forking out for just a football, rather then most of a motorcyclist`s protective wear, or the `Beckham` effect...

As Recife has the only 2 teams in the top division in NE Brazil, they get my vote as a front runner for the shortlist, ahead of all other NE cities.

B

Blc

You would be amazed at how popular soccer is becoming in the US, particularily amongst kids of all ages in schools. It may have something to do with the ability to play sport with the parents forking out for just a football, rather then most of a motorcyclist`s protective wear, or the `Beckham` effect...

As Recife has the only 2 teams in the top division in NE Brazil, they get my vote as a front runner for the shortlist, ahead of all other NE cities.
Soccer is becoming popular in the US but as Rob said Europe is the key to the World Cup.

Shortlist Fifa already know the cities they knew in December.
Here you go
Salvador
Fortaleza
Recife
Manaus or Belem
Rio
Sau Paulo
Brasilia /Final
P Alegre

Curitiba/Florianoplis/Goiana

Cant confirm the last place

A

az08

Im hoping it will be in BH as my GF lives there, so I will most probably go over there when its on.

And she tells me there are plans to improve the Mineirao (stadium in BH) so im guessing its for plans for the WC.....

And the Mineirao is a crazy place, love going there, so they should deffo have some games there :D

J

Joachim

The presentation of the Natal government to the FIFA inspection team last weekend was well received and was done with a lot of professionalism. Much more so then many other bids from bigger cities. Technically, Natal is in a good position, however, politically might not be as strong as other cities in Brazil.

People make the mistake that Natal is competing with Fortaleza, Salvador and Recife but is actually against 12 cities nationally. Recife is technically not so good as Natal in many areas but has Lulu so is a given. Maceio already fell out because they did not present anything decent (professional) in the allowed timeframe.

Natal has a much better chance at the moment then it did a few months back. It will be interesting to see what the decision will be in March. The stadium design was done by NOK (Wembley, Emirates and Sydney Opera) and the area is in the heart of the city with new shops, restaurants, lake, central park, commercial skyscrapers and new buildings for all the council and state secretaries (=centralizing the bureaucracy). Lots of big groups already showed interest with letters of intent to realise the development together with the government in a PPP deal.

B

Blc

The presentation of the Natal government to the FIFA inspection team last weekend was well received and was done with a lot of professionalism. Much more so then many other bids from bigger cities. Technically, Natal is in a good position, however, politically might not be as strong as other cities in Brazil.

People make the mistake that Natal is competing with Fortaleza, Salvador and Recife but is actually against 12 cities nationally. Recife is technically not so good as Natal in many areas but has Lulu so is a given. Maceio already fell out because they did not present anything decent (professional) in the allowed timeframe.

Natal has a much better chance at the moment then it did a few months back. It will be interesting to see what the decision will be in March. The stadium design was done by NOK (Wembley, Emirates and Sydney Opera) and the area is in the heart of the city with new shops, restaurants, lake, central park, commercial skyscrapers and new buildings for all the council and state secretaries (=centralizing the bureaucracy). Lots of big groups already showed interest with letters of intent to realise the development together with the government in a PPP deal.

I can not see Fortaleza/Natal/Salvador/Recife all getting games. Recife is guaranteed Like you said Just because Lulu was born in the state. Natal is to close to Recife to be named.
Anyway lets hope the 4 cites are named on March the 20th it will be great if they do..

Put your money on Recife/Fortaleza/and Salvador.. The only city the commitee stayed more than one night was Fortaleza. Not sure if thats good or bad.

J

JMBroad

Hehe well not sure how accurate they are - I guess no one will until the 20th but judging by the comments, their readers are positive they KNOW! Hehehe

jeduardo

jeduardo