Dubai tops mideast cities of the future list

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

samsaf

No doubt about it man!

Dubai is indeed moving in the right direction! When you see the way some of the developments taking place in Motor City, for example, and the amount of the events which will take place this year depute of the depression... Imagine what will be state of Dubai once all of those pending project are handed over "Like the Motorcity and SportsCity"

Dubai is moving forward... despite much slower than before (naturally) but the pace will pick up again within 1-2 years (depending on the depression)

When economy recovers... Dubai will be one of the first places which will be effected.

You naturally pay a penalty when you open your doors widely to foreign investors... Unlike places like Saudi Arabia (which didn't get effected THAT much... since nothing is going around there anyways) and Abu Dhabi (in which the foreign investment has only recently started)

Abu Dhabi wishes that by 2020 it will have less dependance on oil and more dependance on Tourism... hey! Dubai has already reached this long time ago...

In other words, they plan that one day, they will become like Dubai...

Everyone is envy of Dubai... They wish that one day it will all collapse, yet they all emulate it!

T

TommyC

Dubai tops Mideast Cities of the Future list
In my house, on my floor, in the corner of the building, my apartment tops the "superdeluxe best apartment ever and for all future to come" list.

"This top-ranking highlights the opportunities that exist in this apartment" :p

W

Wannaberich

In my house, on my floor, in the corner of the building, my apartment tops the "superdeluxe best apartment ever and for all future to come" list.

"This top-ranking highlights the opportunities that exist in this apartment" :p
It's a shame you're always so patronising and negative towards Dubai.
I assume you either work in Dubai or own property there?
If not then I have no idea why you would use this forum.
Please explain?

T

TommyC

It's a shame you're always so patronising and negative towards Dubai.
I assume you either work in Dubai or own property there?
If not then I have no idea why you would use this forum.
Please explain?
Both actually. Point being:

The article refers to a mideast ranking of some kind, not a world ranking. The actual article was published in mid December 2008, and probably based on mid-2008 figures and interviews/statements. Things have changed considerably since then, whatever seemed to be going up quickest at the time may now be heading downwards even quicker...

Middle East Cities & Special Economic Zones of the Future 2008/09 - Foreign Direct Investment (fDi)

Personally I find the news coming from Arabian Business and Gulf News to generally be very biased towards the positive news (not to unlike propaganda). Here's some news that might be more interesting/realistic:
Qatar snaps up Dubai workers - The National Newspaper
Property could fall again in 2009 - The National Newspaper
Job losses threaten economy - The National Newspaper

In terms of propaganda:
“Ministry of Labour officials were quoted in the local press saying that visa cancellations in Dubai have accelerated since Oct 2008, and are now averaging 1,500 a day, and exceeding 2,000 on some days,” said Ms Nicola.
The Department of Naturalisation and Residency Dubai (DNRD) declined to comment on whether the figure quoted was correct, stating that every ministerial department had its own figures and talks were ongoing in order to determine the right number.
suggesting that, no matter what the actual figures are, they will try to come up with a figure that's only high enough to seem realistic enough to not be questioned but not really reflect the real number. I guess we'll see in about a week as stated in the article.

I think it's a shame that people keep retelling the propaganda that we're being fed everyday by the local newspapers anyway. But no-one seems to complain about that... How about just getting real news from real newspapers, instead of the local business oriented tabloid magazines.

So, what was the purpose of even starting this thread again?

Last edited:
W

Wannaberich

Only an idiot would believe only the good reports and not take note of the bad ones.
Personally I expect things to get worse before it gets better.However when the worlds economies rise again then of course theres no reason to think Dubais won't.

I also think where this recession is nothing but bad news for most of the world,Dubai is unique in that it will actually do some good.
Prices were getting out of hand,flippers were treating properties with no respect,every one and his dog figured they could be a developer.Dubais easy money attracted too many crooks.
Infrastructure couldnt keep up.Projects that weren't needed were getting launched.

Now alot of that will change and I believe in 3/5 years when the dust has settled and Dubai is well on its way again, people will actually be glad of the recession.

T

TommyC

Good points, 3/5 years sounds like a reasonable timespan until the dust have settled. It will be interesting to see what the gulf area is like then, and of course the rest of the world. Keeping my fingers crossed... ;)

G

GhostFac3

How far behind are the rest of the cities on that list compared to Dubai?

Status
Not open for further replies.