When a developer runs away

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gashead

Out of interest when a developer leaves the country and his debts behind why can't his local sponsor/partner (who owns a majority holding in the company) be persued by the debtors?

M

memo123

the question is the local sponsor considered

a partner?
Out of interest when a developer leaves the country and his debts behind why can't his local sponsor/partner (who owns a majority holding in the company) be persued by the debtors?

P

PropGuy

Nope as they don't own the liability. But investors can takeover the project if that helps.

S

Sixgun

"But investors can takeover the project if that helps".

I have heard this before, but cannot really imagine how it would work in practice.
Apart from getting 100% of the investors together (which surely would be required),to sign up etc, from every part of the world, how then does it work with required certification from government.
A group of investors don't hold permits to build, or what I would imagine, to be 100's of other specialized documents, necessary by law for building a tower block.

I mean, I'm not disputing the possibility in theory, but is it really feasible?, has it ever happened yet?

G

Gashead

"But investors can takeover the project if that helps".

I have heard this before, but cannot really imagine how it would work in practice.
Apart from getting 100% of the investors together (which surely would be required),to sign up etc, from every part of the world, how then does it work with required certification from government.
A group of investors don't hold permits to build, or what I would imagine, to be 100's of other specialized documents, necessary by law for building a tower block.

I mean, I'm not disputing the possibility in theory, but is it really feasible?, has it ever happened yet?
Not residential as far as I know but it's happened on hotels.

N

naxal

My hunch is that if the local sponsor is the 'Sleeping Partner' of the company ,then as Propguy said ,there is usually a written document signed stating that he is not responsible for the Company's Liabilities .

Z

zombie

There is a local partner / sponsor, but in most cases the developer is an L.L.C - Limited Liability Company. Their liability is limited to the paid up capital of the company, which depending on the type starts from AED 300,000/-. The local partner is not responsible for more that that at the most.

On getting the investors to get together & take over the existing business is possible, but needs cooperation & the skill to make it work. Hardly happens in real life, though possible I would think. But the important question it depends on is how much money has been siphoned off by the developer before he ran away?????

Status
Not open for further replies.