Mobile Phones with GPS

Georgina

Georgina

I was interested in buying a new mobile with built in GPS when I discovered that they are actually banned in Egypt
Daily News Egypt - Full Article

But then a friend here on holiday said he saw many Egyptians with Chinese copies of the N o k i a N95. Any idea where I can buy one? :)

Last edited:
iain

iain

I was interested in buying a new mobile with built in GPS when I discovered that they are actually banned in Egypt
Daily News Egypt - Full Article

But then a friend here on holiday said he saw many Egyptians with Chinese copies of the N o k i a N95. Any idea where I can buy one? :)

Hi Georgina

when I stayed in Sharm a couple of months ago, a guy in the hotel spotted my ***** N95 and wanted to buy it off me as he said they were not allowed to have GPS in Egypt. Guess it's the same reason that they used to only allow accuracy of about 30 metres or more for military reasons.

I didn't try my maps function out there and not altogerther sure itwould work as it must be based on cellular phone stations rather than a satellite receiver - I think.
Guess however they must work or they wouldn't buy them.

Anyway easiest is to get a friend to bring one in I guess.

Iain

iain

iain

:confused:Oops I got that wrong - just tried my phone inside and it didn't work but outside picked up 5 satellites so I guess it does work like any normal GPS receiver, so I guess it would show my position in Egypt but presumably would not have maps for Egypt so just the co-ordinates.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Georgina - Paul got a ***** E51 from Vodafone in Egypt that has GPS.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
GPS System is Blocked in Egypt even cars hav it doesn't work, you need security permisions to unblock it for you which i think may be impossible to have it

Georgina

Georgina

GPS System is Blocked in Egypt even cars hav it doesn't work, you need security permisions to unblock it for you which i think may be impossible to have it
GPS works perfectly well here. I used a hand-held GPS when I travelled to Siwa Oasis and all the waypoints were given to me by a friend with a GPS in Cairo. For sure it works at sea otherwise all the ships would be hitting the reefs.

My friends who have ***** N95's say they work well here.

The problem is it is not allowed and the new phones are banned from being imported.

T

Traveller365

Hi, GPS works i went there for a month and used it all around cairo, i have an ipaq 614, i get around using google maps and its great, people are fascinated by the birds eye view and say things like, is that my taxi

Georgina

Georgina

Yes GPS works fine but the GPS mobile phones are banned. But it is Egypt and I have just bought one in Cairo :) I went to City Stars. The Nokia shop said no but discreetly told me to go to Sky Scraper in City Stars. I bought a Nokia E66 and love it. My friend also bought the same in Radwan Ogeil which is also in Hurghada.