Discovery Gardens Apartment Smells of Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DXBGeorge

Discovery Gardens

Please Delete this post as its no longer relevant.

Regards
George

Last edited:
R

Roshan

OMG, I cannot believe that although everyone warned me to keep well away from Nakheel properties I was an idiot I didn't listen. I moved into an apartment in Discovery Gardens Dubai. Didn’t realise till I paid the deposit and signed the contract that the apartment is above a garbage room and next to the garbage chute. You won't believe the smell of garbage in the apartment and the noise from the chute. Nakheel / DTZ are not interested in helping us relocate even though we are desperate since we have a 3 months old baby. I am worried about our health never mind the horrific noise from people’s garbage cascading down the chute every 5 minutes. Other probelms include a very noisey extraction fan in the kitchen area which is literally deafening. This is a hall apartment and has no windows in the kitchen area. With a baby it is not possible to switch the extraction fan on so we suffer the cooking smells instead. This place is like hell and they just built so many of them.

We are paying well in excess of $35000 a year in rent for this trash. How can we get help to get out of here? We have another 11 months to run on the contract. Does anyone know if I stop the next rent installment cheque will I be breaking the law? We need help.

George+A+R

I pity your case. A few ideas which came to my mind were :

1) The best way out is to sit with Nakheel with a cool mind and reason out. Sometimes this kind of reasoning breaks the biggest of the barriers. Take your family along.

2) Legal help. Probably a written notice to Nakheel could help you to stop the next installment ( your lawyer would be the best advisor on that ) or initiate a shifting of residence from Nakheels side.

3) Approach Dubai Municipality although I do not see much happening there.

Stopping a cheque without a reason is considered an offence in this country and could also damage your credit history. If the cheque bounces, the benificiary will have the upper hand citing you have defaulted on your payments.

Hope there is some good news for you in the future.

Regards

Roshan

A

ankkur

Nakheel

OMG, I cannot believe that although everyone warned me to keep well away from Nakheel properties I was an idiot I didn't listen. I moved into an apartment in Discovery Gardens Dubai. Didn’t realise till I paid the deposit and signed the contract that the apartment is above a garbage room and next to the garbage chute. You won't believe the smell of garbage in the apartment and the noise from the chute. Nakheel / DTZ are not interested in helping us relocate even though we are desperate since we have a 3 months old baby. I am worried about our health never mind the horrific noise from people’s garbage cascading down the chute every 5 minutes. Other probelms include a very noisey extraction fan in the kitchen area which is literally deafening. This is a hall apartment and has no windows in the kitchen area. With a baby it is not possible to switch the extraction fan on so we suffer the cooking smells instead. This place is like hell and they just built so many of them.

We are paying well in excess of $35000 a year in rent for this trash. How can we get help to get out of here? We have another 11 months to run on the contract. Does anyone know if I stop the next rent installment cheque will I be breaking the law? We need help.

George+A+R
Dear George

I understand your problem and it seems Dubai`s increasingly expensive ways and means are just expensive and there is no quality / service whatsoever.
I suggest you register this issue with RERA ( Real Estate rugulators )
Google RERA and you ll get the website

You must write to senior authorities in Nakheel and keep calling them till the time you get a response. Its worth getting your money back with some penalty than living in a distress. I understand you will have to forego the COmmission that you have paid @ 5 % and then the relocation cost but believe me even if this problem gets sorted out , if there is no service inclination you won`t get your peace of mind in future. I have myself moved 4 apartments in the last4 years and I understand its hard.
Move to a better place even if you have to go overboard and pay 15 % extra rent because to save extra 15 % $ 4,000 ..you cannot ruin your $ 35,000 and paying for a full year frustration...

Hope this helps

ANkur

R

Roshan

Thank you. I am trying to stay calm. Very luckily my wife and baby are in our home country for another 3 weeks. If I haven't moved by the time they get back then your advice to take them and sit with Nakeel is a good one. If that doesn’t work then I will seek legal advice before I stop the next installment cheque.

Incidentally, last night I struggled to sleep. Somehow every weekend the smell is always at it strongest. Quite often I get suddenly awakened by garbage falling down the chute and from the noise it makes when it hits the bins.
I tried to cross swords with my developers, but a few trips to take them to task didn't work out. Then I realized the most logical way is to sit across and reason out with them.

I tried this with 2 of my developers and it worked out well. In both the cases I got my payment deferred.

I would help just to make a trip to the municipality and find out the possibilities before you can take them to task.

Good luck.

Regards

Roshan

Status
Not open for further replies.