investment strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
debzor

debzor

The road goes through the middle of the picture. The two houses "beachfront of the road" nearest to the cameraman are dotted by plastic bags of rubbish. On the other side of the road you can make out a garden which is also covered with rubbish bags.

Not a great promotional pic to be sure. Reminds me of the time the Madeiran tourist board decided to make their advertising logo: "Madeira - you can have your cake and eat it" which was great for the Brit tourists but when translated into a dozen languages left a lot of people wondering what they were on about.

Hi Jim - hate to be pedantic, but I think you will find the relevant expression is 'you cannot eat your cake and have it'.

You can always have your cake and then eat it, but you cannot eat it and then have it..!

I know how you researchers like to get things right, or maybe it was Madeira who got it wrong, and should have said '...you can eat your cake and have it...?

Only joking, of course, this is a common mistake with this saying.

M

Mineiro

Mineiro,

Is Terravista still selling? I haven't been there but looking at the website it looks like the whole development has been sold.

Rob.
Not from what I've seen on the website Rob . There still seem to be plenty of plots available in the Condominio Villavista Golf and still a few units left in the Condominio Terravista Villas.

M

Mineiro

Mineiro,

First of all we don't sell Buzios or Tabatinga for reasons that I have gone into many times before, but correct me if I am wrong, a plot plus villa at Terravista starts at R$480k going up to R$2m? Those prices were from 2007.

Rob.
Rob ,I didn't say that you sold Buzios or Tabatinga. Infact I don't think I mentioned you at all or am I the one who's becoming slightly confused????

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rob ,I didn't say that you sold Buzios or Tabatinga. Infact I don't think I mentioned you at all or am I the one who's becoming slightly confused????
Mineiro,

It was more in response to what you were saying before: "Whenever I see these photos of developments in RN or FTZ I really can't imagine why anyone would pay over half as much as a resort such as Terravista ,".

Prices at terravista start at €200k for a 2 bed villa at the back of the resort. Whilst terravista looks very nice you can easily get the same quality for that sort of money further up north.

Regarding whether terravista is still for sale. I haven't seen any agents selling it for at least a year and it looks like most of it has been built.

Rob.

M

Mineiro

Mineiro,

It was more in response to what you were saying before: "Whenever I see these photos of developments in RN or FTZ I really can't imagine why anyone would pay over half as much as a resort such as Terravista ,".

Prices at terravista start at €200k for a 2 bed villa at the back of the resort. Whilst terravista looks very nice you can easily get the same quality for that sort of money further up north.

Regarding whether terravista is still for sale. I haven't seen any agents selling it for at least a year and it looks like most of it has been built.

Rob.
I don't think you can really say "the same quality" because there aren't many resorts which are situated on the best golf course in Latin America or right next door to one of the top 5 resorts in Brazil, the Club Med, or on arguably one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline to be found in Brazil. As you must know Rob there aren't many places in Brazil that are being hyped as much by the national media as Trancoso.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think you can really say "the same quality" because there aren't many resorts which are situated on the best golf course in Latin America or right next door to one of the top 5 resorts in Brazil, the Club Med, or on arguably one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline to be found in Brazil. As you must know Rob there aren't many places in Brazil that are being hyped as much by the national media as Trancoso.
Mineiro,

I can't match the golf, but the rest is an easy match, try Pipa for a start.
I presume you are a golfer? Personally I hate it because I am really bad at it, so I stick to surfing when I can.

I haven't been to the Club Med there, but generally the competition for Club Med is Club 18-30, SuperClubs & Carnival, none of which are considered real luxury.

Rob.

M

Mineiro

Mineiro,

I can't match the golf, but the rest is an easy match, try Pipa for a start.
I presume you are a golfer? Personally I hate it because I am really bad at it, so I stick to surfing when I can.

I haven't been to the Club Med there, but generally the competition for Club Med is Club 18-30, SuperClubs & Carnival, none of which are considered real luxury.

Rob.
Rob , I have never been to the Club Med Trancoso , but from what I have read it has nothing in common with your usual European Club Meds. It was the Guia Quatro Rodas that rated it as the fifth best resort in Brazil so I don't think you're right to compare it to Club 18-30. It was being judged against the Costão do Santinho resort, the Blue Tree Park Angra dos Reis resort, the Sofitel Sauipe and the Transamerica Ilha de Comandatuba, so I think it is regarded as a luxury resort here in Brazil. So perhaps the only thing you can match is the coastline. I'm not a golfer but I do know, as I'm sure you do, that today golf courses are essential for a resort to be truly successful.

D

Dotty

Banned
I would not discuss where and how many as it's really not in other peoples interest to know unless I want to sell and buy - that's about it!:D
QUOTE=davehoskings;72194]I think Dotty was claiming to know everything, which is how this discussion started.

You may notice that Dotty doesn't come back with details when asked anything, maybe because she exaggerates?

I have land in RN & CE, and apartments/villas in RN & BA. I currently own 11 properties with 7 of them in Brazil. I am currently selling 3 of them and negotiating to buy another large plot of land.[/QUOTE]

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rob , I have never been to the Club Med Trancoso , but from what I have read it has nothing in common with your usual European Club Meds. It was the Guia Quatro Rodas that rated it as the fifth best resort in Brazil so I don't think you're right to compare it to Club 18-30. It was being judged against the Costão do Santinho resort, the Blue Tree Park Angra dos Reis resort, the Sofitel Sauipe and the Transamerica Ilha de Comandatuba, so I think it is regarded as a luxury resort here in Brazil. So perhaps the only thing you can match is the coastline. I'm not a golfer but I do know, as I'm sure you do, that today golf courses are essential for a resort to be truly successful.
Mineiro,

Is that the same Guia that recommended the restaurant you were just complaining about :), but seriously I have heard Club Med are trying to move up in the world.

We sell property in Pipa to well off people from all over the world and I think having a big resort (especially a club med, even if it is a classy one) next door would put them off completely. Plus it would kill the charm of the place as well.

What you say about golf, 5 or even 3 years ago I would absolutely agree with, but golf as a sport stopped growing a couple of years ago and we just don't see it as an absolute must have in a resort of any size these days. Golf is still a big market, but there are plenty of people with means who just aren't interested.

Next time I get to Bahia, which probably will be in the next 2 months, I will put Trancoso on the list of places to visit.

Rob.

D

Dotty

Banned
Mineiro,

It is definately not similar to a European Club Med.It is a quality resort with quality clients who behave properly and not with the usual vulgarity seen in the Club 18-30's ,Club Med(Europe-drink as much as you like and have a knees up and then a punch up)

:rolleyes:

debzor

debzor

Mineiro,

It is definately not similar to a European Club Med.It is a quality resort with quality clients who behave properly and not with the usual vulgarity seen in the Club 18-30's ,Club Med(Europe-drink as much as you like and have a knees up and then a punch up)

To be fair to Club Med, I have been to two of their European resorts, both for skiing, one in Switzerland and the other in France.

Both were up market with a very respectable (mainly French) clientele - they are a France based company. On neither occasion did I witness any improper behaviour, vulgarity or 'punch-ups'. Club 18-30, aimed at Brits, is something else altogether...

So, in my experience, you cannot compare the two.

M

Mineiro

Mineiro,

Is that the same Guia that recommended the restaurant you were just complaining about :), but seriously I have heard Club Med are trying to move up in the world.

We sell property in Pipa to well off people from all over the world and I think having a big resort (especially a club med, even if it is a classy one) next door would put them off completely. Plus it would kill the charm of the place as well.

What you say about golf, 5 or even 3 years ago I would absolutely agree with, but golf as a sport stopped growing a couple of years ago and we just don't see it as an absolute must have in a resort of any size these days. Golf is still a big market, but there are plenty of people with means who just aren't interested.

Next time I get to Bahia, which probably will be in the next 2 months, I will put Trancoso on the list of places to visit.

Rob.

Rob I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you yet again ,as would most tourist industry professionals. Research shows that golfing tourists spend on average 50% more than your average tourist. Anually this adds up to 13 billion dollars worldwide. As the Commercial Director of Iberostar, Orlando Giglio says and I quote " It is the same format as other parts of the world where golf is fundamental for tourism ." Also Alexandre Zubaran,the director- president of Costa do Sauipe, is quoted in the same article as saying that " in the specific case of Bahia the new developments will help the state turn itself into , by 2010, a real golfing destination."
Now I don't know if you know more than they do, but they seem to think that golf is an essential part for real success . Likewise China that already has 200 golf courses in 22 cities is busy building 500 more with a further 500 in an advanced stage of planning. I don't think there's that many Chinese golfers somehow and I don't think they would be building all these golf courses for nothing , if golf meant very little to the tourism industry.
The Guia Quatro Rodas is the biggest selling tourism manual in Brazil with over 6000 hotels listed and graded and over 2000 restaurants. So I also think that they must also have some idea . Not to say that there won't be people who don't agree with some of the ratings . As I disagreed with the rating of one particular restaurant that I happened to visit. As the Brazilians say "Gosto é que nem cu , todo mundo tem um ."

M

Mineiro

To be fair to Club Med, I have been to two of their European resorts, both for skiing, one in Switzerland and the other in France.

Both were up market with a very respectable (mainly French) clientele - they are a France based company. On neither occasion did I witness any improper behaviour, vulgarity or 'punch-ups'. Club 18-30, aimed at Brits, is something else altogether...

So, in my experience, you cannot compare the two.
Debzor, it was Rob and not Dotty who compared the two, because that makes it easier for him to disparage what other people are saying and so that he can continue with his rather weak arguments.

M

Mineiro

Mineiro,

Ofcourse it's not Dotty. Rob says these things to suit his own arguments. If he knew as much as he proclaims to do about Brazil and the tourist industry here , he would certainly already know that, as he would also have heard of the" Guia Quatro Rodas."

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rob I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you yet again ,as would most tourist industry professionals. Research shows that golfing tourists spend on average 50% more than your average tourist. Anually this adds up to 13 billion dollars worldwide. As the Commercial Director of Iberostar, Orlando Giglio says and I quote " It is the same format as other parts of the world where golf is fundamental for tourism ." Also Alexandre Zubaran,the director- president of Costa do Sauipe, is quoted in the same article as saying that " in the specific case of Bahia the new developments will help the state turn itself into , by 2010, a real golfing destination."
Now I don't know if you know more than they do, but they seem to think that golf is an essential part for real success . Likewise China that already has 200 golf courses in 22 cities is busy building 500 more with a further 500 in an advanced stage of planning. I don't think there's that many Chinese golfers somehow and I don't think they would be building all these golf courses for nothing , if golf meant very little to the tourism industry.
The Guia Quatro Rodas is the biggest selling tourism manual in Brazil with over 6000 hotels listed and graded and over 2000 restaurants. So I also think that they must also have some idea . Not to say that there won't be people who don't agree with some of the ratings . As I disagreed with the rating of one particular restaurant that I happened to visit. As the Brazilians say "Gosto é que nem cu , todo mundo tem um ."

First of all I was only joking about the guide, I also know very well what it is, I went to a restaurant just outside Pipa which had 2 stars. It was worth the money for the experience, but a culinary experience it was not especially at R$150 a head.

As for the golf, that's great that it is still growing, as for it being necessary for a resorts success, it isn't, it does help for sales and rentals as it adds another attraction to a resort, but I know plenty of resorts doing just fine without it.

I do find it amusing that you quote the director of Costa do Sauipe since the 2 courses there haven't done anything for their bottom line.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Ofcourse it's not Dotty. Rob says these things to suit his own arguments. If he knew as much as he proclaims to do about Brazil and the tourist industry here , he would certainly already know that, as he would also have heard of the" Guia Quatro Rodas."
I am not sure I ever said I hadn't heard of Guia Quatro Rodas, but you can show me where I said it.

Maybe instead of just personally attacking everyone you could stick to just discussing the subject which is investment strategy.

Rob.

J

JMBroad

Hi Jim - hate to be pedantic, but I think you will find the relevant expression is 'you cannot eat your cake and have it'.

You can always have your cake and then eat it, but you cannot eat it and then have it..!

I know how you researchers like to get things right, or maybe it was Madeira who got it wrong, and should have said '...you can eat your cake and have it...?

Only joking, of course, this is a common mistake with this saying.
Funnily enough I've never heard that. The Madeira tourist board definately used the phrase "Now you can have your cake and eat it" referring of course to the Madeiran honey cake. However, your one does make more sense than the one I grew up hearing :D

D

davehoskings

I would not discuss where and how many as it's really not in other peoples interest to know unless I want to sell and buy - that's about it!:D
What a surprise!! So you are just a dabbler after all. :rolleyes:

D

davehoskings

Pot calling the kettle black .... or are farmers suddenly tourism experts .... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.