Hurghada taxi fares

Watson

Watson

The Egyptian word for meter is TAC TAC.

We had a great laugh with the taxi drivers and befriended some genuine ones and used them alot.

What i would say is that what we do is get in tell them where we are going and pay what we think is right.

9/10 they look bemused and say not enough we just walk off leaving them to grumble to themselves.

It is not a fact of being tight it is principle and usually u are paying double anyway when you tip.

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

We have leaned to insist the meter is switched on for the journey. This is usually met with some grumbles but a point to the complaint sticker that most of them have posted usually quietens them down......however there are those that won't switch the meter on no matter how much you insist, these are best left to consider why they have just lost a fare!

aisha24

aisha24

Hi , thought this may be useful , came across this on Egypt search forum

The General Manager. Gen Sherif Goma'a the assistant of the minister of Internal affairs for the police regulations, is urging all drivers to take heed of the new law terms regarding traffic before the 1st Aug 2008 the deadline of starting the execution of the new law.
He is urging all drivers to check their cars to see if they are fit to drive in regards to safety.
He said to the newspaper of the Massa'a, he indicated the importance of some of the new terms of the new law which he thinks can stop the chaos of the traffic in Egypt.

One of the most serious fines will be a fine to taxi and microbus drivers who refuse to accept to take passengers without valid excuse or driving the taxi with passengers with the meter not working or if they ask for more money than the meter says, or takes more passengers than the car was designed to take.
That fine alone will be from 300le up to 1500le according to offence
Fine of 300-1500le and 6 months prison for anyone any who makes any sexual advance in his car.

up to 6 month prison and a fine of 100-1500le for any driver who tips rubble on the road, or throws rubbish from car, cans, food etc, or causing any type of pollution or making noise which can distract the driver or drivers around.

100-300le for not using seatbelt for driver and all passenger.

6 months prison and a fine from 1500-3000le for anyone carrying a radar detecting device or affects the radar function.

100-500le fine for driving without licence present in the car.

1000-3000le for driving against traffic.

20,000 le fine and 6 month prison for anyone driving a vehicle with any prohibited ie drugs or counterfeit items in it.

6 months grace for Tok Tok drivers to allow them to register with licencing dept and to discuss routes and fares

Parking in no parking area 30le
Driving without seatbelt 50le
Using mobile phone when driving 50le
Eating drinking or smoking when driving 50le
Putting children in front seats 50le
Sitting on stop line at traffic 50le
Driving a car with foreign registration plate 150le
Driving a car with non Egyptian driving licence 150le
Not stopping at checkpoint 250le or (shot dead which ever is easiest for the policeman)
Driving through a red light 250le
Driving against the traffic 250le
Driving whilst drunk 500le
Driving without your licence in car 500le
Exceeding the speed limit by 1-10 kmph 50le
10-20 100le
20-30 150le

more than 40kmph exceeding the limit 250le

Aisha ( Kim)

T

The Smart Money

Hi,

My better half and I are travelling to Egypt (Hurgharda) on the 29th August and have been quoted £96 by our tour operator for transfers to and from the airport to our hotel (The Three corners Rihana Resort, el gouna)

My question is, is this reasonable from your experience, or would we be able to get it cheaper?

kind regards

Steve

T

The Smart Money

Hurgharda to El Gouna

This is a great thread, thanks for all the tips guys!!

Obvisouly my girlfriend and I will now be sticking to the goverment operated orange and blue taxis with a 'working' meter :p

does anybody have any advice on taxi/bus costs from hurgharda airport to el gouna (the three corners rihana resort)?

Georgina

Georgina

does anybody have any advice on taxi/bus costs from hurgharda airport to el gouna (the three corners rihana resort)?
No buses from the airport to El Gouna. I would pay LE50. From El Gouna to the airport with El Gouna Limousine it will cost LE120.

L

Lsab

Hi,

My better half and I are travelling to Egypt (Hurgharda) on the 29th August and have been quoted £96 by our tour operator for transfers to and from the airport to our hotel (The Three corners Rihana Resort, el gouna)

My question is, is this reasonable from your experience, or would we be able to get it cheaper?

kind regards

Steve
Hi Steve,

This company has come up a few times on various threads : : Anytime Limo : :.

T

The Smart Money

Yes that maybe true but I contacted them and they don not or can not pick up from Hurgharda airport

Thanks for the help never the less

S

SuziQ2708

Hi,

kind regards

Steve
That price does seem very high .... 'rip off' springs to mind. If it is just the two of you travelling I think I'd be inclined to take my chances and catch a cab on arrival at Hurghada airport. :)

E

egyptian

try to contact your hotel to arrange a limo to collect you from airport about 130 egyptian pounds 120 to go back you will get to your hotel quicker

P

propertastic

Do any of the El Gounans here know of any cheap way of getting back to Hurghada late at night?

What time do the buses finish and start the day?

Is there any way of getting a taxi back at reasonable (i.e. not El Gouna monopoly) rates?

Georgina

Georgina

El Gouna Bus

Do any of the El Gounans here know of any cheap way of getting back to Hurghada late at night?

What time do the buses finish and start the day?

Is there any way of getting a taxi back at reasonable (i.e. not El Gouna monopoly) rates?
Buses to Hurghada leave every 20 minutes at 00, 20 and 40 minutes after the hour. Service starts at 7am until midnight. Cost LE5 for tourists and LE2.5 for residents.

I use a Hurghada taxi and call him to pick me up.

Last edited:
P

propertastic

Thanks for the info, Georgina. Looks like the bus is not going to be an option for partying in El Gouna then. Not too sure how easy it will be to call out a Hurghada taxi driver in the middle of the night as well.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay through the nost for an El Gouna taxi.

Georgina

Georgina

Thanks for the info, Georgina. Looks like the bus is not going to be an option for partying in El Gouna then. Not too sure how easy it will be to call out a Hurghada taxi driver in the middle of the night as well.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay through the nost for an El Gouna taxi.
I use a guy called Marhair. Known him for years. He drives one of the metered taxis. His number is 0102797016. I usually give him around LE50 but maybe more if it is coming up to sunrise ;) I'll be at Du Port and Chirinquitos after marina party tonight :cool:

D

danny

Taxi ride Hurghada

Walked down to Metro today and really should have walked back.

We didn't intend to flag down the taxi but, as it nearly run us over, we thought it might be safer inside than out. Wrong, he went straight across a roundabout without looking (not unusual) however my wife thought that he was asleep as it wasn't a case of him not looking more a case of him having his eyes closed. As I was sat beside the driver I just assumed he was blind in one eye and suggested this to my wife in order to calm her fears (no seatbelt in the back as usual). When we were approaching the junction at Zahabia instead of braking, he accelerated, we thought we were going to be the first on the new Florence of Arabia beach, my wife noticed the taxi driver self harming by biting his arm in order to stay awake which then made me take her more seriously. I should have realised he was asleep as he didn't honk his horn once in a 2 mile journey, a feat we have forwarded to The Guiness book of records (although we do not have an independent witness the bitemarks on the taxi drivers arms should suffice as proof).
They say walking is good for your health, it certainly is in comparison with Hurghada taxi drivers as long as you can avoid the initial collision as they try to attract your attention.

T

thompsonsom

danny

You must have used the driver before and has he knows you never give a tip and no more than 50egp he was probably getting his own back. (lol)

janice

D

danny

danny

You must have used the driver before and has he knows you never give a tip and no more than 50egp he was probably getting his own back. (lol)

janice
You must have me confused with another Danny, I only pay 5egp.

T

thompsonsom

soz i meant 5, still learning my egyptian money

janice

W

wellheld

Hi,

kind regards

Steve
Hi, for £96 I would expect use of the driver for a full week, never one trip.