Running Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roger

Roger

Can anyone who is living in, or renting out, and 1 bed apartment give me an idea of electricity and gas costs per month?

Does anyone use a cleaning service? If so what is the rough cost?

Also any other expenses that have arisen that I may not have thought of.

I need to prepare myself :eek:

Georgina

Georgina

Our electricity prices have just gone up in El Gouna. They rise as the usage goes up but the average price is LE0.50 kw/h.

Tap water is LE12 / per m3
Irrigation water is LE3.00 / per m3

A gas bottle is LE15 here but probably LE5 in Hurghada.

I would say my running cost for electricity, gas, maintenance, security, pest control, TV channels, water, irrigation of gardens, garbage collection, etc. are about 350 pounds sterling per year now for a one bedroom apartment. They were around 250 pounds four years ago. But El Gouna is open and breezy and I have windows on three sides so I hardly ever use the air conditioning.

Hearing about the maintenance charges on the new developments in Hurghada, etc. of approx. 500 pounds sterling per year makes me wonder whether we are going to be in for a big surprise here or whether it is just because these developments are targetted at Europeans?!? Does that mean on top of 500 pounds the electricity and water is extra?

V

vix

Our electricity prices have just gone up in El Gouna. They rise as the usage goes up but the average price is LE0.50 kw/h.

I would say my running cost for electricity, gas, maintenance, security, pest control, TV channels, water, irrigation of gardens, garbage collection, etc. are about 350 pounds sterling per year now for a one bedroom apartment. They were around 250 pounds four years ago. But El Gouna is open and breezy and I have windows on three sides so I hardly ever use the air conditioning.

Hearing about the maintenance charges on the new developments in Hurghada, etc. of approx. 500 pounds sterling per year makes me wonder whether we are going to be in for a big surprise here or whether it is just because these developments are targetted at Europeans?!? Does that mean on top of 500 pounds the electricity and water is extra?
Yes the water and elec are extra, we have paid to have meters installed.

Roger

Roger

Thanks Georgina, I'll have to estimate usage, but I reckon we should come in just below El Gouna prices ;)

Blimey!!! Our maintenance is £800, and gas, elec, cleaning, management, etc are on top of that :eek:

I really hope this development delivers all it promises!!

I think we're paying for something a bit special - I hope so, anyway. We are supposed to be getting fantastic quality, resort status, high rental yields, etc.

I suppose time will tell :rolleyes:

Georgina

Georgina

I think we're paying for something a bit special - I hope so, anyway. We are supposed to be getting fantastic quality, resort status, high rental yields, etc.

I suppose time will tell :rolleyes:
Hmmmm. Who told you that ;) Hey it's Egypt!! Where are you buying?

My friend was asking for an industrial clean for her apartment after a particularly big sand storm. That'll be an extra big mop then :D I used to have the cleaners in. They charged LE14 per hour and there were two guys for an hour and a half so about five quid for a one bed apartment. Mops, buckets and brushes here. Did a wonderful job.

Roger

Roger

Hmmmm. Who told you that ;)
Fella by the name of Daily. Arthur Daily. :D

Hey it's Egypt!! Where are you buying?
Top floor of Hania Beach. Hasn't gone so smothly so far but judging from some of the posts here we haven't done too badly :)

My friend was asking for an industrial clean for her apartment after a particularly big sand storm. That'll be an extra big mop then :D I used to have the cleaners in. They charged LE14 per hour and there were two guys for an hour and a half so about five quid for a one bed apartment. Mops, buckets and brushes here. Did a wonderful job.
Thanks for this, Georgina. Gives me something to work at :)

Last edited:
Georgina

Georgina

I think I have posted this before but regarding having things repaired and small odd jobs, in El Gouna we call our maintenance department for a plumber, painter, electrician, etc. They usually come round within an hour or later that same day and for one small job the charge is LE10. So having a light fitting put up, sink unblocked, hinges repaired when your shutters blow off in the strong winds, etc. all costs LE10.

I have had a whole room repainted and it cost around LE100 including the paint. Now I went to the hotel next door to enquire about having my finger nails painted and the price was LE120!

My British friend who has a villa half way between El Gouna and Hurghada has a house boy. He met him in Luxor when this boy was driving the horse and caleche for the tourists. My friend had bought a lot of souveniers over several days all with this same boy and at the end of it the boy showed him all the commission he had discreetly been slipped. My friend invited the boy to work at his villa. He couldn't read or write even Arabic but could speak six languages because he had to learn them with all the different nationality tourists in Luxor. He made the beds, did the laundry, cooked, looked after the garden, maintained the swimming pool, arranged any maintenance. He lived in a little annexe with a bed, toilet, shower, cooker, etc. and his wages were LE1,000 per month. Now he shares this job with his brother so they take turns to be in Luxor or Hurghada when my friend is here from the UK.

S

SuziQ2708

I think I have posted this before but regarding having things repaired and small odd jobs, in El Gouna we call our maintenance department for a plumber, painter, electrician, etc. They usually come round within an hour or later that same day and for one small job the charge is LE10. So having a light fitting put up, sink unblocked, hinges repaired when your shutters blow off in the strong winds, etc. all costs LE10.

I have had a whole room repainted and it cost around LE100 including the paint. Now I went to the hotel next door to enquire about having my finger nails painted and the price was LE120!

My British friend who has a villa half way between El Gouna and Hurghada has a house boy. He met him in Luxor when this boy was driving the horse and caleche for the tourists. My friend had bought a lot of souveniers over several days all with this same boy and at the end of it the boy showed him all the commission he had discreetly been slipped. My friend invited the boy to work at his villa. He couldn't read or write even Arabic but could speak six languages because he had to learn them with all the different nationality tourists in Luxor. He made the beds, did the laundry, cooked, looked after the garden, maintained the swimming pool, arranged any maintenance. He lived in a little annexe with a bed, toilet, shower, cooker, etc. and his wages were LE1,000 per month. Now he shares this job with his brother so they take turns to be in Luxor or Hurghada when my friend is here from the UK.

Sounds good Georgina, reckon I can find me one of them and bring him home? LOL .. We're buying a 2 bed apartment at the Oasis Marina, between El Gouna and Hurghada. According to Iraida website they anticipate the yearly bills to average around £1,400 GBP, including maintenance and management fee's of £800 GBP. So, going by that they expect our anual utility bills to cost approx. £600 GBP. Although this does seem reasonable when comparing to UK prices (I pay £120 per MONTH just for gas and electricity),according to Egypt prices I've been told this is way too expensive?!?

L

Lsab

Wouldn't it be interesting to see the breakdown of these costs? Someone is going to make a fortune out of us all.

Roger

Roger

Wouldn't it be interesting to see the breakdown of these costs? Someone is going to make a fortune out of us all.
It's bound to happen, Linda :(

We've spotted the potential, but so have the developers and agents. If people want property on the Red Sea, they can put their prices up. Supply and demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.