Six killed in Ajman hotel collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G.invester

by Amy Glass on Monday, 02 June 2008
Six construction workers are believed to have been killed in Ajman after the ceiling of a hotel under construction caved in on them.

The accident is believed to have occurred at about 3am on Monday at the construction site for the 20-storey Laguna Beach Hotel on the Ajman Corniche.

The ground floor of the hotel, which has been under construction for two years, is thought to have collapsed onto the basement when an excess amount of concrete was poured on the ground floor, according to state news agency Wam.

GOOD THING I HAVEN"T INVESTED IN AJMAN>>>THEY CAN'T MATCH DUBAI

Six killed in Ajman hotel collapse - Construction & Industry - ArabianBusiness.com

I

Investoman_uae

GOOD THING I HAVEN"T INVESTED IN AJMAN>>>THEY CAN'T MATCH DUBAI
I dont understand how you have linked an accident to investing in Ajman. Totally irrelavent. Someone died at the burj dubai site the other day, should investors think "thank God we havnt invested in Burj Dubai"??

Accidents happen. What governments should do is regulate the construction industry interms of Health and Safety laws and procedures. Thats what you should have mentioned.

Inv.

M

memo123

by Amy Glass on Monday, 02 June 2008
Six construction workers are believed to have been killed in Ajman after the ceiling of a hotel under construction caved in on them.

The accident is believed to have occurred at about 3am on Monday at the construction site for the 20-storey Laguna"

this is what I have been saying all along
the developer collects money from the investors , where first he launches his building as a whole floors for cash , at almost half of the launch price . so what he actually committed himself to is the minimal cost and not the inflated cost that the property have reached in price . From what I have seen that some of the new properties changes hands at least 5 times before launch date by at least 3 months . hence for this developer to meet the cost of the building , starts cheating in building material , i bit some contractors there have never even heard of ISO .
SO I feel very sori for lost souls because of the greed of the developer and the cheating of the contractor .
" is thought to have collapsed onto the basement when an excess amount of concrete was poured on the ground floor, according to state news agency Wam."
Was it excess amount of concrete or weak base and ? or so many other reasons makes the ceiling collapse during the pouring and of concrete to build the ceiling ?.
This contractor and his developer should be prosecuted and brought to justice for cheating , in building material , and not following the correct building procedure ?
there is , no outside inspectors from the government representatives in place to check what these people are doing. There is no insurance on these poor souls , the builders. no safety regulations , no health insurance , in case of accidents . these workers are being exploited in a bad way , just so the developer can make money .

don't be surprised if the same and much more is happening in Dubai , and just because it is not announced , it does not mean that it is not happening .

G

G.invester

The ground floor of the hotel, which has been under construction for two years, is thought to have collapsed onto the basement when an excess amount of concrete was poured on the ground floor, according to state news agency Wam.

READ it again and you will understand...!! their constraction method does not meet the international standard in safety ...and beside i know what iam talking about. By the way....the incident in Burj dubai was an accident. The building didn't collapse. God bless the soul of the poor men died .

Last edited:
A

Ali786

It was not due to poor contruction material its just an accident.

V

vishal73

My point of view......If a slab collapsed while pouring concrete, it means scaffolding was not erected properly. It has nothing to do with amount of concrete poured.
Means carelessness towards the contractor.

It was not due to poor contruction material its just an accident.

I

Investoman_uae

I understand that accidents happen in construction sites. But the point I was making is that there has to be HEALTH AND SAFETY Procedures/Rules in place for every worker to abide by.

Also, there has to be a Health and Safety officer who ensures that the rules are followed. His job is to go around the site and spot hazards, accidents waiting to happen, etc. He will be well trained and from experience knows what rules should be followed on site.

Thats all. If everyone follows the rules, insha'Allah there shouldnt be any problems.

Inv.

W

Wannaberich

This can only be down to poor construction.When you consider the amount of work going on in Dubai its amazing that more workers aren't killed.How can health and safety keep up with all these projects plus I'm sure there isnt alot of checking going to make proper construction procedures are used.

A

ACoz2000

For everyones information accidents do not happen... they are caused! Action --- Reaction, from what I can see the Action may have been pumping too much concrete into the structure and the reaction was the collapse of the structures highest stress point.

I am aware of Federal Laws and Codes of Practice for Safe and Health Construction work in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, the main problem is the lack of enforcement by government officials, the government officials have the problem much like in UK that they do not have adequate resources to cover the vast growth of the UAE.

International companies have a legal and moral responsibility to recruit and suitably train their employees to reduce risk to themselves and others who may be affected by what they do or may not do as far 'as reasonably practicable'.

Every accident is and still is avoidable, but what is a major concern is the level of competency companies are employing in order to complete projects on time and within budget. Most are straight out of a packet and have little or no experience of working in construction!! Therefore the levels of Supervision and Management needs to be extremely high and the sad fact is that it is not! Many of those are young and fressh which has its benefits but to be honest it is worrying!!

jessicatam

jessicatam

It's always sad to read about this kind of thing. I hope they take a good look at what happened, and improve their safety standards before anyone else gets injured / killed.

My thoughts are with the families of those workers.

R

rudeboy

ajman is full of investors from asia including india, pakistan and bangladesh. you wouldnt be suprised of finding out that they have been using cheap building material. hell i wouldnt be suprised if this wasnt happening in else where in UAE.

recently an earthquake occured in UAE, i live in shj and theres a HUGE crack on the wall from the top to the bottom. no it hasnt been there before hand it happened cos of the earthquake. yes i understand the building is old but i thought these buildings were earthquake proof :S.

pics of the earthquake crack can be supplied on request.

R

rudeboy

Rudeboy u smashed it lad. They're using cheap materials because indians n pakistanis are buying? Good job the sri lankans n africans aren't buying, they probably would have used cardboard instead hey?
:eek:
i meant the developers are from the sub-continent thats y cheap material is being used not because indians and pakistanis are buying. Every developer i have come across is from pakistan or india. sorry dont want to offend any pakistans or indians but I would rather buy from ppl like Emaar or Nakheel who atleast have quality properties and follow the standards. And it will take some time before Ajman has its own Emaar or Nakheel.

prices are cheap but that doesnt mean you will be getting some GOOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.