How do you buy a car in Egypt??????

M

M Butler

We live in Cairo at the moment and are, hopefully, moving to El Gouna by the end of May. Our duty free status car needs to be sold and we need to buy a private car. We have run out of time to buy on our residents visas.

We have been told that you have to be able to register/license the car and that you cannot do this if you have a resident tourist visa which is all we seem to be eligible for.

Can anyone please help because my head is spinning with visas, cars, freight, house buying, etc.

Waiting in anticipation of a solution!!!!

Margaret

L

lyndsay552

Hi Margaret,

Have you thought about renting a car? Our original thoughts where to buy and car but after seeing the scarey driving and battered cars decided that we will just take out a long term lease, that includes insurance and let someone else worry about it.

Lyndsay

M

M Butler

How to buy a car in Egypt

Hi Margaret,

Have you thought about renting a car? Our original thoughts where to buy and car but after seeing the scarey driving and battered cars decided that we will just take out a long term lease, that includes insurance and let someone else worry about it.

Lyndsay
Hi Lyndsay,

We have thought of this as an option but only have experience of car hire in Cairo which is expensive. Do you know how much this would cost in Hurghada?

PS. Also interested in what insurance cover is included. Having been driving around Cairo for over 2 years and had many scrapes and bumps it would seem than insurance is optional and not compulsory in Egypt

L

lyndsay552

I had heard that about the insurance in Egypt. We where told £300 a month including fully comprehensive insurance but it was only by word of mouth. I'm planning to speak to a few rentals companies when I'm over next week and seeing what I can come up with. I'm looking for a 4x4/pick-up so it might be more expensive than a car but I'll let you know what they say.

Lyndsay

M

M Butler

Lyndsay,

We will be in El Gouna from the 24th-27th April to finalise details on the house we hope to buy. Maybe see you in Hertz!!
:confused:

Margaret

L

lyndsay552

Yes definately! Will you only be in El Gouna or will you venture down into Hurghada?

M

M Butler

Lyndsay,

We will probably go to Hurghada (still got our car) to find out car rental options. I read somewhere that you could rent a car in Hurghada for 36 euros per week for local driving. Can't imagine it would have aircon or perhaps it is a golf buggy!!

Margaret

L

lyndsay552

A golf buggy would probably do the job!!

The 36 euros is the Limo service which operates anywhere from El Gouna to Makadi Bay. Think we are going to give it a go and see what its like. It'll be far easier than trying to haggle all the time

M

M Butler

What's the limo service? Is it 36 euros per week?

Margaret

L

lyndsay552

The company is called anytime limo and their website address is : : Anytime Limo : :.

They have a number of different services, one day, three days or 7 days. Seems very reasonable if it works as they say

Lyndsay

G

GM43

Banned
you can find a car insurance at Allianz: Welcome to Allianz Egypt a worldwide insurance company. Cost per year is 3.5% of the value of the car.
They have also home insurances.

Last edited:
M

M Butler

you can find a car insurance at Allianz: Welcome to Allianz Egypt a worldwide insurance company. Cost per year is 3.5% of the value of the car.
They have also home insurances.
Thanks for the info, The first year we were here we took out insurance on our car which was very expensive and the cover was not exactly what you get in UK so we did not take it out again as it was not worth it.

Margaret

M

M Butler

Thanks,

This is the company we bought our present duty free car from. We were able to do this because he has a work permit and his company has a duty free agreement with the government. However, he will stop working for them in Egypt as from 18th May so we have to sell this car or pay the duty which is 420,000 EGP!!!
Unfortunately, we did not know until yesterday that we could only buy/register/license a car on the visa/work permit that we have at the moment, and that also runs out on the 18th May.

I also heard that once you have registered your property or contract, you can then register/license a car. Any views on that?

Margaret

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Margaret OMG no wonder you are keen to sell it!!!

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Al MAsrya

Hello All
Now one of the biggest car sellers company opened in HUrghada Called El Masrya For Cars

L

Lsab

420,000LE???!!!! :eek: How on earth do they justify charging that much duty? What is it....a Rolls Royce??!!

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
420,000LE???!!!! :eek: How on earth do they justify charging that much duty? What is it....a Rolls Royce??!!
its very bad situation in Egypt that you pay lot lot of customs on cars
beter to buy it from Eypt

M

M Butler

Hello All
Now one of the biggest car sellers company opened in HUrghada Called El Masrya For Cars
Where is it? We will go and see them next week.

It looks as though you could buy as many cars as you like but how do you get around the licensing and registering problem (legally)?

Margaret