Cost of construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deansp2001

Hi

Im looking at buying some land in the state of Espirito Santo and build a house, ideally on the beach front.

After doing lots of research on the net I have find quite a few plots but cant seem to get a general idea of contruction costs.

Does anyone know, roughly how much it would cost to build a 3 bed, 2 bath standard house, at around 300m sq2. Also if anyone knows roughly how much it costs to build a swimming pool, that would be great.

Thanks

A

ady1231

Hi

Im looking at buying some land in the state of Espirito Santo and build a house, ideally on the beach front.

After doing lots of research on the net I have find quite a few plots but cant seem to get a general idea of contruction costs.

Does anyone know, roughly how much it would cost to build a 3 bed, 2 bath standard house, at around 300m sq2. Also if anyone knows roughly how much it costs to build a swimming pool, that would be great.

Thanks
Hi;

Did you find a land yet? where r u looking?

roughly building costs between 300-500 USD/SQM, so if you want a 3 bed 2 bath of about 100 sqm, it will be about 40000 USD.

Swimming pool is about 5000 usd extra, as far as i am aware.

make sure that u cant build of more than 50% of the land size i guess

R

RalphJ

It's all relative and all depends upon the type and brand of materials used. My swimming pool in my house cost 85,000 reais. So, what size? What depth? What type of tiles, etc naturally all come into play when coming to a price.

W

wolfgang

Ralph,
That's one helluva pool you have there my friend! Are you looking to host the next Olympics?
Either that or you have fallen prey to one of the many conmen you are forever warning us about!!
Deansp2001-as a guideline, budget for 250 to 270 Euros per sqm for one that ought not to leak within the first 12 months and to include pump/filter etc.
Ady-sorry to inform you that you really will not get much of a pool at all for $5,000 and there is just no way that construction costs on a 3/2 will cost as little as $40,000.
It just cannot be done.

D

deansp2001

Hi, $40,000 US does sound very cheap...Im looking in the area around Serra/Nova Almedia but not to fussy at the moment, everythings in early stages.

So 300-500 USD per square meter is the going rate...?

M

michaelbush

Beware of any prices quoted without a full detailed description of what the construction includes. Here in Brasil they can build a house with walls, roof, and leave the internal details, like bathroom, kitchen, light switches and fittings, tiling, painting, and much more and still call it a house. What standard of exterior finish is it? Many for instance put a kitchen sink on the wall and that is your kitchen! The bathroom will possibly have plumbing and electrics first fix only. Is the house on open plan land in the proposed "resort", or enclosed with its own garden wall, and is that included in your cost per m2? All of the specifications for materials and construction, need to checked thoroughly. Your price above at 300-500$ suggests that it is something fairly basic and not what you have seen in the pictures! I would budget at least 1000R$ per m2. Plus of course the cost of a trustworthy engineer to supervise construction,assuming you wont be here, to make sure nothing is skimped, like foundations, cement and concrete mix, tiles are first grade not second or third grade with flaws, etc etc.

W

wolfgang

Mike-you are absolutely right.Also budget for wells,filtration septic tank,water heater as these are not normally included either etc.
I have witnessed very many instances of people purchasing land based on quotes from local developers fully expecting their build to be all inclusive and to European specification.A quote from a Brazilian builder will be to BRAZILIAN specification.I have seen the same happen in Egypt where basically all you receive for your quote is the shell (not even doors and windows!)
:eek:

N

newkidontheblock

Hi all,

interesting topic. I have reserved a 3 bedroom villa at Banana Residential in cumbuco and paid 750000 euros. this includes all fittings and finishings. the build size is 140m2 and the overall plot size is 450m2 so i feel with the prices per m2 you have quoted i have got a good enough deal

R

RalphJ

Hi all,

interesting topic. I have reserved a 3 bedroom villa at Banana Residential in cumbuco and paid 750000 euros. this includes all fittings and finishings. the build size is 140m2 and the overall plot size is 450m2 so i feel with the prices per m2 you have quoted i have got a good enough deal

new kid, I sure hope that's a typo!:eek:

Hope you spent 75K euro and not 750K!!

R

RalphJ

Beware of any prices quoted without a full detailed description of what the construction includes. Here in Brasil they can build a house with walls, roof, and leave the internal details, like bathroom, kitchen, light switches and fittings, tiling, painting, and much more and still call it a house. What standard of exterior finish is it? Many for instance put a kitchen sink on the wall and that is your kitchen! The bathroom will possibly have plumbing and electrics first fix only. Is the house on open plan land in the proposed "resort", or enclosed with its own garden wall, and is that included in your cost per m2? All of the specifications for materials and construction, need to checked thoroughly. Your price above at 300-500$ suggests that it is something fairly basic and not what you have seen in the pictures! I would budget at least 1000R$ per m2. Plus of course the cost of a trustworthy engineer to supervise construction,assuming you wont be here, to make sure nothing is skimped, like foundations, cement and concrete mix, tiles are first grade not second or third grade with flaws, etc etc.

You are exactly right mike...and don't foget....ceiling!! It is "NORMAL" here in Brazil for homes to be built without ceilings. You have a roof, and that's exactly what you're looking up at when inside your house...the roof!

And, when living close to the sea, it is absolutely necessary to have a ceiling. This prevents much of the salt air and humidity entering your house and causing severe damage.

Also, things such as this that you and Wolfgang have mentioned are actually things that should be DETAILED IN WRITING in all contracts of buy and sell. Here in Brazil, according to the consumer rights code, it is MANDATORY for a company selling any product targeting foreigners and not explain in detail the differences in "customs and culture" than those that exist in the foreigners home country!;)

N

newkidontheblock

Good spot Ralph i meant 75k

For 750k id expect an extra bedroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

deansp2001

Thanks for all the advice, before I do anything I would make sure evrything is in writing, also my fiance is Brazilian so that helps on the language side of things.

Found this whilst looking on the net:

lapuntarealty . com / esmeralda

Any ideas of how much something like that would cost. I realise those infinity pools are very expensive but I would love one! There selling this for $2 Mill USD which seems a lot to me as the house isnt too big, but the standard of finishing looks high - something I would like to replicate.

M

michaelbush

Thanks for all the advice, before I do anything I would make sure evrything is in writing, also my fiance is Brazilian so that helps on the language side of things.

Found this whilst looking on the net:

lapuntarealty . com / esmeralda

Any ideas of how much something like that would cost. I realise those infinity pools are very expensive but I would love one! There selling this for $2 Mill USD which seems a lot to me as the house isnt too big, but the standard of finishing looks high - something I would like to replicate.
Images look just like virtual reality. I bet the house is not built yet! How many sq.metres is it?

A

ady1231

Hi all,

Hi;

Yes you got a good deal, regardless of what the (sellers) say about Banana residencial, i made money out of it, and they stood and criticized:)

Good deal boy, dont be put off by ralph or michael, they never agreed to any development, they are not selling:)

D

deansp2001

Images look just like virtual reality. I bet the house is not built yet! How many sq.metres is it?
The pictures look fairly real to me, I think they have been heavily re touched to give them an ultra glossy feel. And if it was virtually reality then I would expect them to put furniture in, they normally do.

It doesnt say how big it is. But its 3 bed, the stucture must be around 250 m sq2, which is the sort of size im looking at, a largish 3 bed house.

M

michaelbush

Hi;

Good deal boy, dont be put off by ralph or michael, they never agreed to any development, they are not selling:)
Both Ralph and myself have never said "do not buy" - we have only re-iterated over and over, that you should ALWAYS visit BEFORE parting with money. When someone says that they have to pay for the infrastructure to someone outside of Brazil, warning bells sound. Ralph has lived here a lot longer than me, and has first hand experience of the types of scams that have been operated in the past. None of these "resort" plots are worth diddly unless there is an infrastructure first and a committment to build out. Otherwise the construction will take forever to complete and it will never be the "resort" you bought into. So who would you sell on to except to someone else who buys off the internet!

M

michaelbush

The pictures look fairly real to me, I think they have been heavily re touched to give them an ultra glossy feel. And if it was virtually reality then I would expect them to put furniture in, they normally do.

It doesnt say how big it is. But its 3 bed, the stucture must be around 250 m sq2, which is the sort of size im looking at, a largish 3 bed house.
So if it is real then you could buy it and move in, right? You only have to look at the quality of the maquete currently available to know that reality and virtual reality can look the same.

M

michaelbush

Hi all,

That price includes the plot, New kid? How is the split- if you are paying less than 1100R$ per m2 for the build then check the specs carefully. What does it include?
If it is all in, then it does not sound at all bad. Good luck!

N

newkidontheblock

hi michael

the plot and villa size are 450m2 combined.

the build size alone is 140m2. this equates to 536euros per m2

this is based on the price i paid 75000euros. the complex is almost sold out and the current price is 115,000.

this is my 1st time buying abroad so i hope i have chosen well

Status
Not open for further replies.