Useful Hurghada Info

I

icywill

As someone who is about to complete in Hurghada at the British resort I would realy appreciate any hints tips recomendations regarding shopping living and just enjoying oneself there. As there seems to be lots of peple here with expertise on Hurghada I thought we may compile a useful list for users of the forum. Something along the lines of good hospitals drs usefull numbers etc. Just to get some of us newbies started.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
icy,
Have you been before? We completed this june and have been over twice since then best advise I can give is enjoy it, ask around for supermarkets they are priced items not the little ones that say they are but sell everything including tat. Use Buses 10 pence per person into town or anywhere taxi,s cheep but bartering is a must.

I

icywill

Yes I have been there a few times , but I always stayed in hotels on a holiday basis. I think that staying in your own apartment may be different and I was after some of the info that may be usefull like the tips on buses etc. I just thought as peol on here go out the more we get to share useful stuff the better

J

J4hurghada

Banned
icy.
put it this way you will never want to go back to the hotels again, having to be for breakfast,dinner and tea when they say so, fighting to get a table or even your egg fried getting a sunlounger near the pool. Selfcatering you can do what you want just remember take that bacon with you for breakie or even dinner depending when you want it. Selfcatering in Hurghada is alot better than at home.

D

dave99

Transport is the key factor

Transport is the key factor

Once you are confident to get around whether taxi, local bus or own car everything will become very easy. Hurghada is big by most standards for a "resort" - it is a real town, old bits, new bits, lots of still to be built bits.

Lots of eveythingt but you'll need your own transport and local knowledge to find stuff and appreciate it all.

Driving is very difficult initially but it's worth the effort. I tried it for the first time over the last 2 weeks with my partner guiding and now I'm just as happy as in Spain.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
dave
bet it was better with your own car what was the hire prices we are back in April.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi SuperJet buses go to Cairo daily leaving Hurghada 14.30, 17.00 and 19.00 cost 55LE each way.

Hurghada to Luxor Upper Egypt Bus Company
10:00 Am
13:00 PM
19:30 PM
22:30 PM
01:00 AM
03:00 Am 40Le each way

Hurghada To Cairo ( El Gounna Bus Station
09:00
12:00
13:00
13:30
14:30
16:00
18:00
21:00
23:55
01:00
02:00
03:00 55Le

Hurghada To Alex - Upper Egypt Bus 9.00am and 19.30 70Le

D

dave99

Company car not hired one

dave
bet it was better with your own car what was the hire prices we are back in April.
I was driving our new company car not hired one, so not sure on rental rates.

I don't mind being "driven" around by my partner but it will be much easier for me to collect our owners etc from the airport with one less body in the car.

There ara a number of smaller hire companies in the back streets with newish models. You need to be very careful about insurance - there does not seem to be our equivalent of "fully comprehensive" - there are many important gaps in the cover provided. You also need to be sure that you get a contract in English with full details of the insurance.

I

icywill

How about scooters or small bikes is there a gap in the market or are they impractical?

D

dave99

Seen lots of these

How about scooters or small bikes is there a gap in the market or are they impractical?

Seen lots of these - especially suitable for carrying kids 2 at a time - great for weaving around other traffic and breaking all the road rules particular favourite being going the wrong way doen streets - especially easy to hit at night since most have no lights.

I think you have to be brave to risk this form of transport unless you are already a very good rider.

A

awahee123

Banned
I've seen some top cars in Hurghada with some massive dents and scratches,so as dave99 suggests get a bit of a banger.

D

dave99

Insurance is tricky

I've seen some top cars in Hurghada with some massive dents and scratches,so as dave99 suggests get a bit of a banger.
Insurance is tricky - not easy to find anything in English from most "brokers"

A

awahee123

Banned
There are a few big boys in Egypt eg AIG,I'm sure you would be able to get something in translation from them.
I really think Egypt needs to start thinking about situations like this for people buying insurance and other related goods.

D

dave99

Same as UK when it comes to cost

There are a few big boys in Egypt eg AIG,I'm sure you would be able to get something in translation from them.
I really think Egypt needs to start thinking about situations like this for people buying insurance and other related goods.
Same as UK when it comes to cost - the big players cost musch more but I would hope that the level of cover is better.

A

awahee123

Banned
You are right,can anybody on the forum get some quotes maybe for a group,I believe that going through a local Insurance agent we could get some good deals for buildings and contents

D

dave99

Buildings and Contents not the same problem

You are right,can anybody on the forum get some quotes maybe for a group,I believe that going through a local Insurance agent we could get some good deals for buildings and contents
Buildings and Contents not the same problem - there are already UK companies that you can use at decent rates.

Car insurance is whole different game.

A

awahee123

Banned
Sounds as though car insurance is a bit of a nightmare in Egypt,is there such a thing as fully comp or is it 3rd party with add ons.