advice on buying a beach buggy

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
I am looking at buying a beach buggy to keep at my place in Pipa, does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy one, what to look out for etc?

Regards,
Rob.

J

JMBroad

Most important of anything else is the mechanic - buggies are constantly breaking down. I'll send you an email in a sec with some info

debzor

debzor

I am looking at buying a beach buggy to keep at my place in Pipa, does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy one, what to look out for etc?

Regards,
Rob.
I completely agree with JMB - I have had 2 buggies, and they always break down. This is not really a big cost problem - you just weld them, but can be an inconvenience! Maintenance is really cheap - they are just old VWs with a plastic body kit stuck on top.

Great for flying around the local area, not good for longer trips or in the rain.

You MUST take an experienced mechanic when buying.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone got recommendations on brands of buggy, i.e. BRM, Fibra or Savagem?

B

Blc

Anyone got recommendations on brands of buggy, i.e. BRM, Fibra or Savagem?

A Buggy will make happy twice when you buy it and sell it.
A new model will be less hastle as you can maintain it from new. Price approx 28.000 .

All the Buggy drivers seem to have Fibra \Fyber.

Some beach areas like Pipa\Canoa Quabrada a Buggy is a must for getting around. The trend in ceara seems to be quads now.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member

A Buggy will make happy twice when you buy it and sell it.
A new model will be less hastle as you can maintain it from new. Price approx 28.000 .

All the Buggy drivers seem to have Fibra \Fyber.

Some beach areas like Pipa\Canoa Quabrada a Buggy is a must for getting around. The trend in ceara seems to be quads now.
Thanks BLC and everyone else,

I wouldn't mind a quad, but it is not very comfortable for more than 2 people (and probably illegal as well) and a surfboard or three.

When I was younger my friends all owned beach buggies (I rode a motorbike) so I do remember the constant need for maintenance.

Regards,
Rob.

J

JMBroad

Said I'd get back to you and haven't - yet... sorry

Regarding the buggy you can normally buy a second hand one pretty cheap - around 8 or 9 thousand reais but of course you either know buggies and can check which one works and which one is about to break down or you buy a brand new one.

As the brand new ones have a tendency to break down as well, I'd probably suggest getting a second hand one which is recommended by a mechanic who knows buggies well. The only buggy mechanic (who is a wizard with buggies) who I trust is up in Gostoso though so probably won't be of much help to you if you break down in Pipa.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe the other thing to look at as well is what year the donor beetle is from as there are some major differences in the specifications.

I always thought the fyber used older doner cars with the old style back suspension (the same type that made Ralph Nader famous, i.e. not great on corners),so I might look at a selvagem which all the buggy drivers seem to like for some reason.

JMB, Maybe your buggy guy knows of something or someone in Natal where I can at least buy one?

J

JMBroad

I believe the other thing to look at as well is what year the donor beetle is from as there are some major differences in the specifications.

I always thought the fyber used older doner cars with the old style back suspension (the same type that made Ralph Nader famous, i.e. not great on corners),so I might look at a selvagem which all the buggy drivers seem to like for some reason.

JMB, Maybe your buggy guy knows of something or someone in Natal where I can at least buy one?
I'll ask around and check

J

JMBroad

Rob - I asked him and he said he's got several for sale which he built himself (as a mechanic he is always taking them apart and putting them together again to sell).

A good friend of mine bought one from him last year and although it does break down a lot (don't they all) he's adamant that he's as happy as punch with it so if you want to meet him while you are over here next we may get that coffee/Möet/caipirinha yet!

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rob - I asked him and he said he's got several for sale which he built himself (as a mechanic he is always taking them apart and putting them together again to sell).

A good friend of mine bought one from him last year and although it does break down a lot (don't they all) he's adamant that he's as happy as punch with it so if you want to meet him while you are over here next we may get that coffee/Möet/caipirinha yet!

Thanks for that, we can set a date closer to when I go there.

Regards,
Rob.

M

Murfster

Having borrowed a friends buggy for a couple of weeks (just back) in Pipa I am also now interested in buying one...an in full knowledge that they are shall we say temperamental, but at the same time essential for ferrying around friends and family to the nearby beaches.

Any advice on where/who to buy them from and what I should look for appreciated...thanks

J

JMBroad

I know a good mechanic (who actually lives across from Rob) but not sure he's got any for sale - he used to sell them but (as I rented two from him last weekend) I believe he only rents them out now. I'll ask next time I'm up in Gostoso which will be this weekend.

M

Murfster

I know a good mechanic (who actually lives across from Rob) but not sure he's got any for sale - he used to sell them but (as I rented two from him last weekend) I believe he only rents them out now. I'll ask next time I'm up in Gostoso which will be this weekend.
Great thanks...not sure the residents of Pipa will welcome another buggy waking the whole place up at 8am on my way to Madeiro beach so hope the newer ones are a little less "acoustic" than the one I just borrowed which as circa 1973...ear muffs weren't included!

J

JMBroad

Oh! I don't know anyone off the top of my head who sells new beach buggies - I know a couple of people who have sold second hand ones (they all mucho acoustic)

M

Murfster

Thats ok am not ruling out 2nd/3rd/4th etc... hand but believe me the one I had the use of was definitely louder than the average bear...sorry buggy. Especially when it invariably back-fired...not a great sound any where in Brazil as people dived to the floor for cover!

I was generally heard before I was seen and as this thing was the obligatory fluorescent yellow that takes some doing! Appreciate all offerings :biggrin:

debzor

debzor

Having borrowed a friends buggy for a couple of weeks (just back) in Pipa I am also now interested in buying one...an in full knowledge that they are shall we say temperamental, but at the same time essential for ferrying around friends and family to the nearby beaches.

Any advice on where/who to buy them from and what I should look for appreciated...thanks
It would be much better for you to rent a buggy each trip, than buy one yourself. Having been involved, (owned or looked after),4 buggies now, I can tell you they can be nightmare!

As you know they consistently breakdown, but if not run every week, they will rust to a complete stop, requiring brakes freeing, batteries and electrics replacing or fixing, lights stop working, tyres develop punctures, they will not start because of numerous other problems, etc, etc...

Let someone else have these headaches, and just rent when you need one - it is much easier and cheaper as well...

T

TUKIDOUK

I nearly forgot that you can go to the local company in Natal (Parnamarim) which is Salvagem (:: SELVAGEM ::) and have a look at their offerings.
HI ROB I WOULD LIKE TO HIRE BUGGY TO GET AROUND PIPA AND TO NATAL AND TAKE ON THE ROAD BR101 FOR AROUND 14 DAYS AT END OF YEAR. I will be at my pad Quinta do rio were is the best place to hire from. Thanks Tony.

debzor

debzor

HI ROB I WOULD LIKE TO HIRE BUGGY TO GET AROUND PIPA AND TO NATAL AND TAKE ON THE ROAD BR101 FOR AROUND 14 DAYS AT END OF YEAR. I will be at my pad Quinta do rio were is the best place to hire from. Thanks Tony.
I would definitely advise against driving a buggy on the BR101 - it would be very unsuitable and unreliable for long journeys, and also could be very dangerous...