ad

Yields and purchase prices across the country?

P

PropEx

Are you insinuating that Turkish property prices/yields are totally dependant on the Turkish tourism sector?

Let's look at the facts... In 2015 the Tourism sector equated for 10.6% of Turkey's total annual GDP. The UK's is 7.1% and the US is 8.5%.

Turkish property prices, especially in Istanbul are not dependant on tourism.

Furthermore, to answer your question about a currencies 'true value'. Please enlighten me with your opinions on the macro and micro outlook for the Turkish Lira.
No, I wasn't insinuating that property prices/yields are totally dependent on the Turkish tourism sector, in fact I don't think I mentioned property at all. The tourism remark was a throw away comment because of how badly it has been going with Russia boycotting it and bombs going off every second day! I suppose my point is, that I thought was fairly clear, but evidently not was that it is all very well investing in countries that have currencies that aren't worth much, but it isn't much good trying to get your money out if the currency is lower than it was, if indeed you can get your money out at all. To get on to my opinions on the macro and micro outlook for the Turkish Lira, well, as I have said, I can't see it getting stronger anytime soon, Not that I care one iota about the outlook of the Lira, but thanks for your sarcasm though!

B

Blake Bull

No, I wasn't insinuating that property prices/yields are totally dependent on the Turkish tourism sector, in fact I don't think I mentioned property at all. The tourism remark was a throw away comment because of how badly it has been going with Russia boycotting it and bombs going off every second day! I suppose my point is, that I thought was fairly clear, but evidently not was that it is all very well investing in countries that have currencies that aren't worth much, but it isn't much good trying to get your money out if the currency is lower than it was, if indeed you can get your money out at all. To get on to my opinions on the macro and micro outlook for the Turkish Lira, well, as I have said, I can't see it getting stronger anytime soon, Not that I care one iota about the outlook of the Lira, but thanks for your sarcasm though!

As we are on a property forum I automatically assumed you were talking about the state of the Turkish property market when you made a blanket statement about their tourism industry. My mistake!

You are, however, correct in saying that what the currency rate now may not be the currency rate when you decide to sell. The same can be said for GBP/USD. You could buy now at today exchange rate and by the time you sell it, it could be back at 2014 levels and you've lost %20 straight off the bat!

I'm quite shocked to see someone who is involved in property have such a blinkered look on the developing worlds property market. I suggest you do a little bit of research into the Turkish financial system (as I have done) and you'd see that it's just as easy to 'get your money out' of Turkey as it would be from the US.

Russia boycotting Turkey? Bombs going off every 2 days? Wow.. Just wow.. Have you not been watching the news recently? Bombs go off everywhere, sadly, even at the heart of Europe, Brussels! Does this make Brussels any less of an attractive city to invest in? Furthermore, it looks like Russia has lifted any type of trading bans with Turkey as both countries as so much invested with eachother. One that comes to mind is the Blue Stream project..

P

PropEx

Ok, it is a Friday and I am going to go for beer shortly, I will put my opinion in a nutshell. I find it amazing that somebody would buy in a property market just because they feel the currency of that particular country is undervalued/devalued. If you like undervalued currencies, you should buy property in Russia too mate. Good luck and have a good weekend.

B

Blake Bull

Ok, it is a Friday and I am going to go for beer shortly, I will put my opinion in a nutshell. I find it amazing that somebody would buy in a property market just because they feel the currency of that particular country is undervalued/devalued. If you like undervalued currencies, you should buy property in Russia too mate. Good luck and have a good weekend.
For the record, the devaluation isn't the sole reason why I'm attracted to investing in Turkey.

You too have a good weekend.

P

PropEx

For the record, the devaluation isn't the sole reason why I'm attracted to investing in Turkey.

You too have a good weekend.
Ok mate, lets speak Monday, I have people over visiting just now for the weekend and I would be genuinely interested to know why you are interested in that market. I really don't know enough about it to make a valid opinion about it. Cheers

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok mate, lets speak Monday, I have people over visiting just now for the weekend and I would be genuinely interested to know why you are interested in that market. I really don't know enough about it to make a valid opinion about it. Cheers
Yes it's great to hear other people's views and experiences on investing in their chosen areas... I'd personally like to hear more about Turkey.

Just because one person's choice or view is different doesn't make it a poor investment. That's what makes property investment great and varied and remember no one strategy works forever or for everyone in every country.

Please keep the discussion respectful of each other's views...

B

Blake Bull

Yes it's great to hear other people's views and experiences on investing in their chosen areas... I'd personally like to hear more about Turkey.

Just because one person's choice or view is different doesn't make it a poor investment. That's what makes property investment great and varied and remember no one strategy works forever or for everyone in every country.

Please keep the discussion respectful of each other's views...
Very happy to see that my posts have caused a stir in interest! :)