Which property market offers the best value, Australia or New Zealand?

L

lookinginvest

There have been many headlines of late suggesting that the Australian real estate market is overvalued and could be hit by a correction of up to 40%. While this level of "correction" is highly unlikely, which market offers the best value for real estate, Australia or New Zealand?

Historically I would have said New Zealand but there have also been some significant price rises in New Zealand and real estate is not as cheap as it used to be.

R

realdeals

From what I read over the last few months the Australian market has been “talked down” by so-called experts while the New Zealand real estate market has certainly closed the gap. Often seen as the poor cousin of Australia, the New Zealand property market is making a splash in the worldwide real estate sector on its own.

Personally, I would prefer to invest in Australia as opposed to New Zealand because in the longer term I believe the Australian economy is far stronger.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Purely based upon the profile of the corresponding economies I would have to say that Australia looks more promising in the longer term. Let’s not forget this is a country which avoided a recession after the 2008 US led mortgage crisis which brought down the world economy. Surely there must be strength in depth here?

N

nmb

Is the Australian property market living off its reputation of years gone by? Is it time to revisit New Zealand as a long-term home for your property investments? My gut feeling is to stay with Australia but maybe the relatively strong economic trend in New Zealand will continue?

N

Naval Aulakh

Well, you can't be sure about the property prices whichever country you live in. This is the most erratic and unpredictable sector. Somewhere down the line, the property prices are surging in Australia as compared to New Zealand. Hence you should try your luck in the Australian market.

warejohn

warejohn

Well, you can't be sure about the property prices whichever country you live in. This is the most erratic and unpredictable sector. Somewhere down the line, the property prices are surging in Australia as compared to New Zealand. Hence you should try your luck in the Australian market.
I'd agree, as i've been studying the australian market since a few months looking to invest in Mildura and found numerous options with fairly good return on investment expected within 6 to 8 years.

F

FWL

How is Australia being impacted by the coronavirus? Historically the country has had a very tough immigration system which must at least delay the spread of the virus? Will Australia emerge as a leading real estate market once this crisis is over?