The cost of Living in Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seabiscuit

New HSE position in Dubai

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on here please. I have just been offered a job in Dubai as a HSE manager on a staff basis. My problem is I have no real idea if the package is sufficient/attractive.

The terms are as follows... All per month, all AED

Basic salary....28,200
HRA... 6392..... What is this by the way ??
Car allowance..2000
phone...200
Medical....225

My main concern is around the cost of accommodation, is it wildly expensive? I am a single guy, so dont need a mansion !

many thanks for any/all help/advice offered

Rgds
SB

T

TommyC

Definately India. With 10k/m in Dubai u will BARELY break even if you have the simplest of lifestyles.
Well, I wouldn't say that. He would have accomodation arranged by the company, and that's a big advantage. Is there any medical cover? After that, 10K a month wouldn't be a problem as long as you don't expect to run around the hottest bars and driving anything but the cheapest cars, living a fairly simple life.

B

Bettestep

Cheers for the great info

to eyeC, Roshan, ChessMaster etc. Just accepted a position in Dubai and will relocate in January.

Although not a blue eyed protestant I have to agree with ChessMaster that the quality of the questions leaves a lot to be desired. Too many, like Seabisquit today, ask silly questions about rent or an overall evaluation of their package when all the facts are already laid out for them to be able to judge by themselves. From what I have been able to cross-check the hard facts given such as cost of rent etc. seem accurate. The rest is highly subjective anyway and the final decision depends on your alternatives and your personal preferences. To Seabisquit and all the rest: we all have different preferences and nobody knows your alternative i.e. where are you from, what are you making/saving now, how do you rate en Arabian experience over money, closeness to friends/family etc. etc. etc.

K

Krod

Hi,

I also have a question... I see there have been loads of responses here and I have a question. I am currently sitting with an offer which looks like this:

Basic: 21 750 a month
Rental Allowance: 135 000 a year
car allowance: 28 500

Is this a reasonable package? I am in the IT Security field and this is my first attempt at an offer from UAE. I know the region quite well having been there a few times, but would this be considered as a worthwhile salary?

Thanks.

Z

zombie

I think in todays market that is a decent offer, rental cost in dubai is falling as are commodity prices, finally it boils down to 2 things, the first is the kind of lifestyle you wish to lead, als how many dependents are you having.

K

Krod

Thanks Zombie,

I have a wife, this company is also willing to pay relocation costs and a relocation allowance, flights back home once a year etc etc.

I'm not planning on living the high life, just would like to save a bit and experience a bit more of the UAE/Mid East.

So in your opinion this is worthwhile?

D

Djjunior

Not a bad offer at all.
It also depends where your coming from. Example: If your coming from the UK or USA, and working with a reputable company in the UAE , it may be even better as the job market in the western world as we all know is in the pits, and companies are laying off by the minute.
you could probably cut down on your rental expense to around 80,000- 100,000 dhs and really bargain with an owner direct for a 2 bed apartment in a decent area, and save the remaining 40k dhs..

You can also pick up a half decent car for 30k dhs (old lexus or toyota, again look through ads and bargain with desperate sellers..

so really you could potentially save a good chunk if you play your cards right and live carefully.

Hi,

I also have a question... I see there have been loads of responses here and I have a question. I am currently sitting with an offer which looks like this:

Basic: 21 750 a month
Rental Allowance: 135 000 a year
car allowance: 28 500

Is this a reasonable package? I am in the IT Security field and this is my first attempt at an offer from UAE. I know the region quite well having been there a few times, but would this be considered as a worthwhile salary?

Thanks.

Z

zombie

Its good then, you can bring your wife over & she can supplement the family income as well, just out of curiosity is the car allowance one time / annual.

Good luck with the assignment, if you are thinking really long term, then definately look at purchasing with mrtgage.

A

ashraf_786shaikh

I have heard that people stay in Ajman & work in Dubai.So,since Ajman's rent for 1 bhk is far lower than Dubai's...I would suggest new employees to stay in Ajman,right?
I beleive that Ajman is 20 miles from Dubai so it does take time to travel(abt 30 mins. by car) but it's worth the cost.
Your say....?

R

Roshan

I have heard that people stay in Ajman & work in Dubai.So,since Ajman's rent for 1 bhk is far lower than Dubai's...I would suggest new employees to stay in Ajman,right?
I beleive that Ajman is 20 miles from Dubai so it does take time to travel(abt 30 mins. by car) but it's worth the cost.
Your say....?
Ajman might end up having power and water problems. I know contractors who do not take up jobs in Ajman for the simple reason that their final payments ( mostly 10 to 15% ) are linked to handing over. Without power bldgs will not be handed over and that 10 to 15% could end up being their profit.

Could be wrong, only time will tell.

Regards

Roshan

Z

zombie

Ajman is not 30 mins away, it is atleast 1.5 hrs away from any major commercial destination in dubai in peak hours

L

lolita

Hi Chessmaster!

I work in Market Research and recently received a posting for a Research Group Manager. In this role I'd be responsible for the development of projects, from proposal to execution, as well as for achieving revenue targets, and I'd be supervising a team of researchers.

I've been asked to state my expected salary (in USD) and I am not too sure what a fair package would be for a position like this. Could you please help me?? given that you're a recruiter I figured you'd have a good idea of what wages are.

Many thanks!!

S

sasherwani2

Your say....?
Ajman-Dubai commute time is "atleast" 1:30 hrs one way depending on the time of the day. From 5:30am to 10:00am it wont take you anything less than 1:30-2:00 hrs to get from Ajman to Dubai. Similar is the commute time to travel from Dubai to Ajman between 4:15pm to 8:00pm. Distance doesnt matter in Dubai. What matters is what time of the day it is and which direction you are going on.

C

consideringit

Some questions about accommodation nr Dubailand

Hello,

Have just been offered a job in Dubai on the following terms:

12,500 Basic
7,500 Housing allowance
2,000 Car allowance
2,500 Misc expenses allowance
once a year round trip to country of origin
medical to be covered by co

I am a bachelor but am hoping to save enough to be able to buy a property back in London with my gf. She won't be moving to Dubai with me but will be visiting frequently. Have really been trying to get a feel for the cost of living out in Dubai but seem to be coming across a lot of conflicting/out of date info. Not really interested in an extravagant lifestyle out there, just hoping to be able to save a decent sum.

However, I recall reading an earlier post on here in which it was suggested that if one's package amounts to less than 30k that one is unlikely to be able to save much. Mine of course is 25k and I don't have any kids to worry about (yet).

I have a few questions in light of the above:

1. As I will initially be renting a car out there, how much is that likely to cost a month? I understand that I can initially drive out there for 6 months on an International Driving Permit.

2. The work will be out in the middle of nowhere, somewhere near Dubailand. I understand that traffic is pretty crazy out there so my preference is for somewhere close to work to avoid a stressful drive in the morning. I understand International City is nearby - is this accurate?

3. Have also been trying to look at rentals in the International City area and can't seem to find much info. Am I likely to be able to get a furnished 1 bedroom apartment in that development for 90k a year/7,500 a month? Also, at that price is it likely to include a gym?

4. As there will be a 3 month + 3 month probationary period, does anyone have any specific advice on short term lets? Can I find anywhere for 7,500 a month?

Thanks a lot. Appreciate all the help, folks.

W

Wannaberich

Hello Consideringit.
If you are looking for somewhere to rent then I know of a 1bed at Silicon Oasis which is right next to international city.I personally would not consider Int City,it does not have a good reputation and I believe that area doesnt have pools or gyms and has a sewage problem.
This 1 bed also has the advantage of being currently furnished,most appartments you will find are unfurnished.The building has a great rooftop pool and a gym.
If you PM me your email address I will send you photos etc.I will also send you links
so you can see the area of silicon oasis.
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

consideringit

Thanks for the response, DoBuy. I believe I need to add you as a friend before I can send you a PM so I have requested to befriend you.

C

consideringit

DoBuy,

I must be missing something blindingly obvious but I can't quite seem to figure out how to send a PM. If you can PM me I can then provide you an email address.

Thanks.

D

drashwas_8

you cant pm untill you have reach a certain amount of posts ... i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.