ad

Should schools teach basic property investment?

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
When you consider the various subjects taught in schools today, many of which are of little relevance in everyday life, it does make you wonder why basic property investment is not on the agenda. While this may seem a slightly bizarre statement at first glance, it is worth bearing in mind that buying a property

Click to Read The Full Story and Add you Own Comments to Continue reading...

P

PropEx

I see what you are getting at, but if they were going to get taught about investments, I think it should be a general topic of investments, as who is to say that investing in properties is any better than any other investing? Also, if everybody was putting it into practice(which obviously, they wouldn't) there wouldn't be a market. I have to disagree with you on this one. They'd be better taught not to eat so much unhealthy food and taught that playing outside is good for you.

N

nmb

I think property investment was just used as an example as this is a property forum but I certainly think that school leavers should have at least some knowledge of finances, investment, etc before they leave the education system. We teach them things they will never use in everyday life yet seem to ignore many of the important decisions they will need to take in their adult years.

P

PropEx

I think property investment was just used as an example as this is a property forum but I certainly think that school leavers should have at least some knowledge of finances, investment, etc before they leave the education system. We teach them things they will never use in everyday life yet seem to ignore many of the important decisions they will need to take in their adult years.
Are you trying to tell me that you don't use quadratic equations in everyday life?!

N

nmb

I think I will put that in the same bracket as algebra lol

P

propertyvalues

Would it not be better to teach finance and investment. Because property investment does not differ from any other asset class. The fundamentals of investment always remain the same.

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Would it not be better to teach finance and investment. Because property investment does not differ from any other asset class. The fundamentals of investment always remain the same.
I can't argue with that in fact basic financial understanding is the underpinning to most investment strategies whether it be property or otherwise... Learning the difference between good (services) and bad (unserviced) debt for example and how to manage risk... these basic fundamentals are key to managing ones personal finance successfully...

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
I think this is great idea. Imagine being able to do a property investment A-level! It would be great!

I think there is a lot to be said for teaching about investments, debt, savings, expenditure etc across the board, not just in property investment. It's funny really that Home Economics is still seen as key thing to teach children but money management isn't. I think it would be incredibly valuable.

P

PropEx

I think this is great idea. Imagine being able to do a property investment A-level! It would be great!

I think there is a lot to be said for teaching about investments, debt, savings, expenditure etc across the board, not just in property investment. It's funny really that Home Economics is still seen as key thing to teach children but money management isn't. I think it would be incredibly valuable.
Haha what a waste of time Home Economics was, it was just an hour of throwing food at one another. Good at the time though!

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
Haha what a waste of time Home Economics was, it was just an hour of throwing food at one another. Good at the time though!
Yep i agree! I could burn a pizza lol :)