Rochester Property Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywilld

Hi,

Would anybody be able to recommend a reliable property management company in Rochester,NY?

We currently own a property in Rochester and regularly receive large bills for maintenance. We rarely receive rent and are losing significant sums on the property. Every time a tenant leaves (if indeed they are actually doing so),we are charged $2000+ for a "make ready", which seems extortionate. It may be that this is the reality of the situation, but we find it hard to believe and are fed up with poor communication from our management company.

There are many management companies in Rochester, but it is very hard to identify the good ones from the bad.

Grateful for any advice you can give from your experience,

Will

M

mrmistery

Hi Will, sorry for your problem
I have a couple of contacts in Rochester NY, the are not property manager but they know about Real Estate there.
If you tell me where in Rochester have the property I can find out who of them could help you to find a good property manager.
You must know that many areas of that city are neighborhoods of poor and troubled people.

I recommend you go to Rochester NY without telling the administrator and check the condition of the property when it's empty because many of them take advantage of landlords from abroad to load bills

I think is better if you put the ads when an unit is empty and contact the possible tenants.

Nico

R

rugbywilld

Hi Nico,

Thanks for your help and advice. We have already been looking at one or two unannounced visits to get a clearer picture. As much as anything else, it is the lack of communication that is a big issue. They seem surprised when our monthly invoice contains $2000 of repairs which they have not previously warned us about!

The area our property is in is central Rochester, specifically in the Group 14621 district.

We welcome any recommendations you might have

Thanks

M

mrmistery

Hi Nico,

Thanks for your help and advice. We have already been looking at one or two unannounced visits to get a clearer picture. As much as anything else, it is the lack of communication that is a big issue. They seem surprised when our monthly invoice contains $2000 of repairs which they have not previously warned us about!

The area our property is in is central Rochester, specifically in the Group 14621 district.

We welcome any recommendations you might have

Thanks
Hi Will

I was about to invest in property in Rochester a few years ago. So I say this as I wish someone would tell that to me at the time

It is a depressed city, there are many empty houses and are purchased by foreclosure and others are auctioned tax debt. Who buy them pay about 1k or 2k for those multifamily homes, then invest a couple of thousand in paint, carpets and sells them to 20k to an investor, most out of state and abroad. Sometimes sold with new tenants to whom have not bothered to ask for proof of funds, even payroll, records. So the first problem is that shortly after buying the property tenants fail to pay, or leave the property.

I guess you know that the neighborhoods where there are cheap properties in Rochester are high crime areas. The zip code 14621 if you've seen a map of crime have high crime rates
There are not many decent people who want to live in those areas, then to attract tenants often offer the first month free. These unscrupulous sellers put first come to view the property attracted to the first month's rent free because
do not care what happens after that because the investor who buys it will face the problem

I'll try to talk to a contact I have there that may know a property manager.
Maybe you could pay a lawyer an hour to go to check the condition of the house, if people live there, or check in the manager's office what repairs have been made.
The problem is that the lawyers are expensive.
When you bought the property?

Nico

J

John Hill

Hi,

Would anybody be able to recommend a reliable property management company in Rochester,NY?

We currently own a property in Rochester and regularly receive large bills for maintenance. We rarely receive rent and are losing significant sums on the property. Every time a tenant leaves (if indeed they are actually doing so),we are charged $2000+ for a "make ready", which seems extortionate. It may be that this is the reality of the situation, but we find it hard to believe and are fed up with poor communication from our management company.

There are many management companies in Rochester, but it is very hard to identify the good ones from the bad.

Grateful for any advice you can give from your experience,

Will
Hi Will
I have just read read your Jan 2013 post and would be very interested to find out who you finally settled on using in Rochester, and to learn of your experiences since.
For my part I was one of many overseas investors who bought a place in 14621 from Brennan Property folk in the UK almost a decade ago. Things were problematic from the start as I used an agent called Coleen Bracci who did all the things you mentioned and kept most of the rental money. She became impossible to communicate with and I left that agency with her owing me a considerable sum of money. I pursued her through the courts and won but that in itself is a long story. I moved briefly to Safe Harbour as I recall until I discovered that they were all from the same or similar stable, all known to each other and because they immediately lumbered me with more sizeable maintenance bills to 'reinstate' the property. I moved to ROC Property Management (Lynne Betlem) on a recommendation and all seemed ok to begin with but then back to the old problems - I have received little rental money but lots of large maintenance bills and now Lynne is repeatedly failing to make payments for Tax, Insurance etc and is hard to pin down on the phone. Too many broken promises, never any monthly rental receipts and appalling communication skills.
Based on my experience it is clear that if you are an investor from overseas you stand a good chance of being taken for a ride by property management agents who are known to each other and understand the problems the investor faces in making the agent accountable. We invest and they siphon off the funds on any pretext.
So, faced with the need to move a 4th time I look at the lists of management agencies out there, recognise the old and familiar faces giving each other excellent references and wonder just who might possibly turn out to be honest and decent??? Based on my experience we are the hidden victims because we are remote, scattered, lie outside the NY state jurisdiction and very unlikely to learn of the problems encountered by other landlords.
I would really appreciate your advice if you are willing to share your most recent experiences. There must be a few reputable management agencies in Rochester??
Regards
John Hill
Cornwall
(moderated. Do not put personal contact details in your posts)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.