New to the forum and interested in the UK property market

N

nmb

Hi

I have an interest in the UK property market but am very keen to learn about overseas markets. I feel the UK market is a little over heated at the moment and think there must be better value elsewhere.

Are there any overseas markets I should be researching? Which property market will be the hotspots for 2014?

D

David119

I am inclined to agree with you and go with Warren Buffets advice that it is better to sell a little early then try to catch a falling knife!! I sold my London property last year and think Germany is still a good buy because the whole world is not trying to invest there as it is in London. Even unsophisticated property speculators are turning up in London now. It looks bad.

I think, if you are feeling brave, look at the Eurozone countries. It looks like the European Central Bank are about to embark on full scale QE (at last) and this should at least calm the fears for investors of capital confiscation - repression being more palatable. I'd like to have the courage to buy in Italy. The only fear I'd have there is what austerity might have in store for the investor - but, I think austerity will hit property owners in the UK fairly soon also.

Good Luck

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
Hi David119

I agree with your comments about the UK and your luke warm approach to Europe. In theory Germany, as the strongest and most influential European country, should be the place to invest long term but I have a feeling there may be more financial mishaps amongst EU partners in the short to medium term. I don't think it will be anything serious but austerity measures will hit many hard, finances will be tight and while the worst of the Euro collapse may be over, we are not yet out of the woods - Germany would be central to any further financial assistance for EU partners.

I recently wrote an article about Cyprus:-

http://www.propertyforum.com/property-in-cyprus/everybody-is-against-cyprus-real-estate-is-it-time-to-buy.html

as I feel this country could offer real long term potential. Despite the fact the economy is performing better than expected, everyone is a seller of property and it all looks like doom and gloom - the darkest hour before the dawn?

Cyprus also seems to get unfairly tied to Greece and the problems over there although the fact that Chinese and Russian investors are showing interest in Cyprus property should offer a floor for current property prices.