ad

My first student property investment. Advice?

J

Josh Smith

I’ve never bought off plan before and been considering buying a student apartment through a UK developer. What level of research should I be undertaking?

M

Michelle Barringer

Forum Partner
Hello, you need to ask lots of questions to get a full picture of the developer and the individuals who own the company - so you can see there track record and ensure they are able to deliver the project, you then also need to check the planning for the site - most developers will happily meet you, show you the plans and discuss the project with you which should reassure you. You also need to check your contract throughly to ensure what you think you are buying is what is in the contract - ensure you understand the payment schedule and security offered and the long term opportunity for the site - does it have resi planning or just student - how long is the leasehold - are there any guaranteed returns? If you need someone to guide you through use an agent, as they should help and you will pay the same price!

N

nmb

I would also strongly recommend running the contract by a solicitor/legal advisor just to be sure it is ok.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Even though there is a very strong UK student population it is worth taking into account the situation regarding foreign students studying in the UK and Brexit. While the student property investment market would still prosper without demand from foreign students, it may be worthwhile waiting until we see the blueprint of the U.K.'s exit from the EU. The student property market in Scotland might be interesting in the longer term if Scotland is able to gain independence and join the European Union in its own right.

However, at the moment everything seems to be up in the air.

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think Brexit will affect foreign students from coming to the Uk for the quality of education we have... We don't have to be in the EU for students to come in on a student visa, it might be a simple visa application for future EU students to come in but that won't stop them...

L

lookinginvest

Hi @Nicholas Wallwork on that basis what specific student property markets would you recommend? I have seen many people suggesting St Andrews property in Scotland as a long-term student based investment but wondered what you thought.

B

Bradley M

There are a lot of great pieces of advice here. I have not much to add. I just want to emphasize that you need to seek financial advice before you invest.
And I should say you made a good decision to invest in student property. Since it is one of the most successful real estate asset classes.