Living in Altinkum

B

Bluebird3

I am thinking of renting out my UK house and renting/living in Altinkum. Do you have any ideas of what I need to actually live on? I am hoping to teach English ....are there any good sites regarding law regarding work? Thanks. Any advice welcome.:girl:

ozsubasi

ozsubasi

It’s difficult to say how much it would cost anyone to live anywhere, because we all live differently.
It also depends on what type of property you are looking to rent or buy as to how much that would cost. But I have lived in Altinkum for nearly 4 years and what I can say is that the total cost of electricity, water, gas and council tax will be probably be considerably less than you are currently paying for council tax alone in the UK. For my wife and I in a two bedroom apartment, our average costs per month are £40 electric, £25 water and £10 gas (bottled). Council tax is £30 a year.
Red meat is expensive but chicken and fish are not. Fruit and vegetables are cheap from the weekly market.
I hope that helps.

Sunny Days

Sunny Days

Hi Bluebird

You cannot work in Turkey unless:
1) You are a Turkish Citizen or
2) You have a work permit which is very difficult to obtain or
3) You work for a foreign company or
4) You own you own limited company (and there are costs and complications with this which a Turkish accountant can advise on)

If you want to teach English in Didim, you will need to be qualified as there are thousands of native English speakers living in Didim so there will be a lot of people in the market. To be qualified as an English teacher in Turkey, the qualifications involve a University Degree plus a CELTA / Trinity Cert TESOL qualifiaction. This is the minimum for a language school. There are only a couple of language schools. They tend to employ Turks as Turkish learners like to be spoken to in Turkish! (generalising but it is the system that they are used to). They do have a few native speaking English teachers but I suspect that these are all Turkish citizens as they advertise the fact and the penalty for an employer employing foreign nationals is too expensive for them to risk.

If you want to work in a school, you will require:
- univerisity degree,
- teaching qualifiaction from your native country
- a conversion certification (obtainable only from authorities in Ankara)
- Turkish citizenship OR a work permit from the Government

The easiest way to teach English in Didim is to work for an on-line non-Turkish owned language school. It is legal. The qualifications that they require are not usually as high eg many accept being a native speaker with business experience as sufficient (others require a degree / teaching certificate plus business experience).

If you work you will need to pay tax either in the UK or Turkey. You can check this with a Turkish accountant or solicitor.

If you are not yet qualified to teach English, you should take a one year language training certificate, as the minimum qualification. Many Councils in the UK offer this course within their Adult Education Department. There are plenty of companies offering a one month certificate but 99% of employers will understand that you can't learn to teach English in 1 month so they will always choose someone better qualified.

Good Luck with your plans to move.