Information about a property in Cyprus

S

SteveDelfonceoRE

Hello :)

There is a particular plot of land in Nicosia that my clients are interested in investigating further, before purchasing the land.

My question is, is there an option to find out who owns a certain property ?
Are there any online services that are available for this kind of inquiry ? a search engine for parcel or properties ?
Cadastral maps or public data base that is available for real estate buyers, for searching by owner name/ID or property registry number?

Looking forward for your answers
:shakehands:

Steve

B

Barny

Not much help I'm afraid but a little info that could aid in the confusion of your search.....

Approximately 15 years ago my in-laws purchase a piece of land in Northern Cyprus (Turkish side),near Kyrenia, with the plan to build a holiday home. As far as I'm aware it took them several years of back and forth between a local Turkish Cypriot solicitor and local council planners to confirm where the ownership of this land originated. Their concern was that they didn't want any land that had ever been owned by Greek Cypriots prior to the war, just in case anything was to happen in the future and the Greek Cypriot's were effectively allowed to take ownership of their land again.

As mentioned, after several years it was all finally confirmed that is was all legitimate Turkish Cypriot land and approximately 5 years ago they set about having their 'dream' built and 2 years ago, they retired and now live there 9 months of the year.

They do still tell us a story now and then of other UK people looking to buy land but after several months or even years it then turns out the land didn't originate from where they originally believed and tehre are now a number of people in limbo because it's been ruled by local planners that they therefore built illegally.

It's all very messy from what I know but if you're local and are based there then you may have more luck then they had as they were trying to organise and investigate from the UK.

Good luck to you though...and sorry to have basically given negative info!:banghead:

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Is the land on the South or the North of the border?
Either way though if you have the plot number you can contact the land registry in Nicosia to find out who legally owns it.
If you are not in Cyprus it may be necessary to get in touch with a Cypriot lawyer to get them to do the search for you.
Even if the land is on the North of the border the land registry in Nicosia will be able to confirm who the rightful owner is.

S

SteveDelfonceoRE

Thank you for your detailed replies !
:top:

The property in question is located in the southern (Greek) part of Cyprus, near Nicosia.

Do you know if there is an online service that allows you to make inquires regarding a property, or must I contact a local solicitor for this task ?

Steve