ad

American couple looking for property in London

D

digipics

Hi All --

I have been reviewing the threads and thank you all for posting the news links and for the good discussion.

Here is the situation. My wife and I, Americans, will be moving to London later this year for at least a 2 year stay. Work is moving us. We have the option to let or buy. I'll be working somewhere around the Tower Hill tube stop.

We are very much considering purchasing a flat.

Some questions for the group. Thank you in advance for the help you can provide! If there is a FAQ that answers most of these Qs please do point me to it. (I haven't found it, yet.)

1) how difficult is it for an American to purchase property in London? We will be using cash.
2) Our budget will probably be around 200,000£. (I realize this is nothing for London. We will get a smaller place - it is a second home.) Can you recommend any locations maybe a 20-30min commute from Tower Hill that are nice quiet locations, nice shops/restaurants around, easy access to the tube and transport? And with some ~60m^2 flats in our budget?
3) Can you recommend an agent to work with who has experience working with American buyers?
4) Anything we should know, be aware of, steer clear of, etc - warnings?

Thanks very much for your time and help. Cheers.