Advice for best area in Turkey

tylerbabe

tylerbabe

Why not Hisaronu, Ovacik the best place to buy for investment and very high in rental income

Aegean Emerald Properties

Aegean Emerald Properties

couldn't we argue this back and forth ad infinitum? of course we all have a personal preference, but what we like and think of an area may not be another's experience.

The OP originally posted way back when, so it is doubtful that she is still looking for the advice. but my advice to any one else interested, is to:
a) decide what type of property you want - apt or villa? how many bedrooms? what will you use it for - personal use or rent? do you want a pool? etc etc
b) decide how much you can afford to spend, as this will influence where you can buy. and be realistic, if you can absolutely only get £40k then don't be overly optimistic and think, well maybe I could get £45k if I tried! only set your budget at a level you know you can afford.
c) once you have your requirements, and budget set, then go online and see what is on offer in that price range. You may want a 2 bed apt in bodrum, but you only have £40k - realistically, with that budget you will have to go elsewhere for a decent property.

These factors all come into play when deciding where to buy - but at the end of the day you must visit the resort. Of course agents will tell you that this or that resort is the best place to buy in Turkey - its our job to sell. We are hardly likely to slag off our own resort, are we? At the end of the day, i would always recommend that whatever area you are considering you visit - only you can decide if it is the best place for your money. Ask around with the locals and expats - those who live there and who have already bought. A good estate agent will get plenty of positive word of mouth, so if you hear positive reports of the same company a few times, that is a good sign. Most of our customers come from past customers who have recommended us - it is the best form of advertising we have!

and many developers will tell you that you can get x amount of rental income, but again this can be a sales tactic. If a developer guarantees you 10% rental return, then most probably he has included this 10% margin in the price you will pay, so in effect you are getting nothing! instead you would be better to ask for a 10% cash discount! then rent the property yourself.

If you want to rent, go online and check out other people who are renting. Be cheeky, contact some of them and ask them honestly how easy or difficult it is to rent, and what price they get. Some of them will tell you to do one, but some will give valuable advice.

Basically, do your homework - check out the web, visit the resort, ask around, and trust your instincts. you are not buying a loaf of bread, you are spending tens of thousands on a property - take your time, don't be rushed and be sure you are happy with your decision.

these are the most important factors when buying abroad - not who said this place or that place is better. Each to their own afterall.

Last edited by a moderator:
kusadasisun

kusadasisun

Why not Hisaronu, Ovacik the best place to buy for investment and very high in rental income
High rental income is directly related to how many months a property can be rented out. IMHO there are only 2 possibilities for a long rental potential:

- New expensive residences in business districts of major cities like Istanbul, Ankara. Here location plays a very important role as these cities suffer from rush hour traffic jams.

- Golf properties by the Mediterranean & South Aegean coast, which attract foreign golfers when winter hits Northern Europe. Their rental rates are already high during summer months.

Sun-Sand-Sea does not guarantee more than a few months rental income. Excitement-Education-Entertainment has to be there as well.

erikko

erikko

Hi Lane,
Alanya is a very popular resort for investment buying because you can make at least 25-30% on your capital in 6 months. My company can guide you from start to finish and you can also buy off-plan which means you can purchase at the price stated at the start of building and your property is increasing in value day to day.
Many Thanks
Leonardo
i checked that area via Google and it was captivating but i want to know how much will it be

W

well

Hi all
I have bought off plan in Gulluk, nr Bodrum airport. has anyone got any latest information of the development of the marina area in gulluk that they said was being constructed?

Is the golf course in this area fully operational now as I havent been down there for a year and wanted to know how the Gulluk area is developing for rental reasons really.

I have bought at the Flipflops resort FYI

Thanks for any updates.

Paul

kusadasisun

kusadasisun

i checked that area via Google and it was captivating but i want to know how much will it be
Alanya is a very nice area, no question about it. It is extremely popular among the Germans choosing Turkey for holiday & retirement.

However:
you can make at least 25-30% on your capital in 6 months
50-60% annual capital appreciation unrealistic. The builder must be temporarily selling with a huge discount. Then you need to ask the question "Why?".

And my final word about Alanya: Spend a few days there in July-August and make sure you're happy with the hot and humid climate.

S

steviego1

property prices?

hi all,
can you tell me if it is possible to buy a 2bedroom with sea views in gumbet ,bodrum,hisaronu, areas. for 40k to 45k and what would be the minimum investment?or if there is any other areas that are nice that you would recomend looking at. thank you.
stevie.:)

L

Lysos

stevie, get yourself over there and do some research, particularly if the view is important. The camera doesn't lie but it can be manipulated !.

NeilHollingsworth

NeilHollingsworth

hi all,
can you tell me if it is possible to buy a 2bedroom with sea views in gumbet ,bodrum,hisaronu, areas. for 40k to 45k and what would be the minimum investment?or if there is any other areas that are nice that you would recomend looking at. thank you.
stevie.:)
steviego1, have a look at Gulluk, a new region, close to the airport and golf courses, new marina planned for the future. Property almost half what it is in Yalikavak and because some devlelopments are built on the hills surrouding the views over the bay are stunning. But as Lysos says go out and see, don't go off glossy brochures. You won't get a 2 bed for £45 though only a fully furnished 1 bed.

V

vera

Thats a bull****....sorry....for 45k its possible to buy 2+1 rooms nice apartments newly built.....but also sorry and for the area which you choose i cant inform you very good but in Alanya for shure its possible....
And by the way its very good mortgage in turkey if you find smth good for you you can take a mortgage from1-20 years 5.9% which will close itself easy with rent...
Also all companies (in case of buying some of the property)pay your 4 days inspectation trip....So go your self and look good...But dont forget about good investment, your property can and must bring not ony nice holiday with your family,but also good money :)

NeilHollingsworth

NeilHollingsworth

Is there any need for that language? Why does he only have to look at Alanya, i have been to Gulluk and from what i saw it was a fantastic area and the views were stunning. I would also agree that there are many more great places in Turkey and what i was giving was an idea of a new area with good potential. I guess you are an agent selling property ONLY in Alanya, i am just saying what i saw with my own eyes. Please refrain from swearing there is no need for it.

NeilHollingsworth

NeilHollingsworth

I also don't think it is very good practice telling clients they can cover their mortgages with rental income, they need to be able to cover the mortgage and any rental they receive is a bonus. Can you tell me aren't Turkish mortgages only available on completed properties, what about if they want to buy off plan?

V

vera

Thats not true what you write....i didnt say that he must go Alanya, if you cant read, read one more time please.......i said i dont know about area wich he choose but i know that for this money its possible to find here something like what he want...İts just means that i know its possible and doesnt metter where.....and i give him an advance that he must go look, i write the bast mortgage which possible to choose,and i said pay your attantion on good investment!!!!!!!!

V

vera

What the reason for mortgage for off plan property????
The off plan property payment is part part....for off plan property enough to have 5 ooo euro or even less for the first payment....and after make a plan of payment individually from construction agency without any persents like in bank!But mortgage also possible....but i cant see the reason for that....
and sorry for my english if you cant understand me good......
And im not an agent if you will read also up i write that i work in Construction Agency!!!
And im not trying to sell smth i just give advances to people who are really interesting to get full information...
And if you notice i didnt even write my company name and smth like this!!!

W

well

I have bought in Gulluk, fantastic area and great for investment I would say. sea views are stunning, small village with marina, golf, close to airport, beaches and resturants, you don't need anything else IMO. Devlopment is limited so will stay exclusive and will push prices up!

steviego1, have a look at Gulluk, a new region, close to the airport and golf courses, new marina planned for the future. Property almost half what it is in Yalikavak and because some devlelopments are built on the hills surrouding the views over the bay are stunning. But as Lysos says go out and see, don't go off glossy brochures. You won't get a 2 bed for £45 though only a fully furnished 1 bed.

C

cj.lion-emlak

Daily Express

Recent article from the Daily Express

Daily Express | Property | Turkish delights | Turkish delights

apart from the comment about Expats in this area the rest is true.

Because the Fethiye area has about 5000 ex pats living here most of them permanantly, the British bit is bound to rub off. But, it is still easy to escape.

Fethiye, Large town, 55,000 population in the winter, International Banking facilities, Shopping centres open all year round, fantastic views.

Worth a visit at any time of the year, Ski in the morning swim in the afternoon is possible during the winter

Last edited by a moderator:
kusadasisun

kusadasisun

I also don't think it is very good practice telling clients they can cover their mortgages with rental income, they need to be able to cover the mortgage and any rental they receive is a bonus. Can you tell me aren't Turkish mortgages only available on completed properties, what about if they want to buy off plan?
You're right, mortgages are available only for completed properties. The title and habitation certificate are required by the banks during mortgage application.

Buying off the plan is a different story.

You can either get into a cooperative which may -in some cases- take ages to complete, while you're making payments every month. Cooperatives are slowly disappearing as people prefer to get a mortgage and move in immediately, instead of taking risk. Cooperatives usually do not get completed on time. In some cases, they may delay several years if many of the cooperative members fail to make their monthly payments.

Or you can buy directly from the developer while making 2-3 payments during the construction, and final amount at the end. When the project is completed, you can get a mortgage for your final payment, which is usually larger than the intermediate payments.

Last edited:
L

Lisa Harwood

Alanya

Hi i live in alanya and have been her nearly 4 years now and i love it wished i had done it years ago. For last 15 years had always had holiday in Turkey followed the coast down agean to the Med. Was taken with Marmaris ole deniz but then discovered Alanya. You need to pop over different areas of Turkey to see what suits you best. İ love this side because of the weather and easy flights ın winter.
Good hunting if you need any help Alanya area always willing to help and guide you.

Lisa

QUOTE=lane;826]Hi all,
We have decided we would like to purchase a property in Turkey.
Is there anyone that has first hand knowledge that can recommend credible estate agents and solicitors who are extremely good to work with and will guide us through the process. I have read too many horror stories of people getting ripped off by unscrupulous agents/builders. What we are looking for is an apartment to be used purely as an investment, taking advantage of capital growth and rental income. As yet we have no plans to move out there. I would also welcome suggestions on best area/s to invest in. Having researched Dubai as a possible location I feel Turkey has more to offer and is a 'safer' bet long term. I may of course be wrong. Any useful website suggestions would be welcome also. I don?t want to go plundering into anything without doing a great deal of research and hearing from people who have experienced the process first hand.
Bye
Lane[/QUOTE]

T

The old grey wolf

If you are considering Turkey as the place to buy an investment property - capital appreciation and holiday let income - then it is probably a good idea to research which area of the country will most likely achieve your financial ambition... and if you are considering retirement here, then which area will give you the lifestyle that suits you.

My wife and I left England to live in Turkey six years ago. We didn't know exactly where in Turkey we would settle. We travelled the coast from Bodrum all the way down to the Mersin in the Eastern part of the Mediterranean looking at all areas hoping to find 'home'. We found it in the small human scale town of Kas, Antalya. We fell in love with it at once - and it has been our home since. We found a place that is naturally very beautiful and has a sense of integrity and intimacy - it is well known as a Bohemian paradise with its cafe society and early retired professionals growing their hair long and running bars and restaurants or playing guitars in bars.... The place suits us.

My advice is not to fret over being ripped off by estate agents or lawyers. Find where you want to buy first. Then figure out if you want to buy new, 'off plan' or resale. Resale is often overlooked - and yet if you are patient you will find a property closer to the sea, better views and better value in the resale market - and it physically exists.

Find an English speaking lawyer in the locality that interests you (the local ex-pat. population will recommend the best lawyer). The lawyer's job is to check the property deed (Tapu) is in order - that the owner is correct, there are no debts associated with the property etc. and to draw up a purchase contract on your behalf that is acceptable to both parties.

The transaction of the property going into your name is done at the Tapu office (a government office). They will only put your name on the title deeds when you have received military clearance. It is worth noting that the Tapu office will not transfer a deed to another name if there are any debts associated with the property... i.e. bank loan and property used as security.

The procedure is simple and safe. However, there is a lot of property on the market that do not have registered Tapus (deeds) - my advice is if you don't have a lot of experience in Turkey, don't think about buying such a property.

As far as Estate agents are concerned, there are good and bad. But it depends on what you mean by being afraid of being ripped off - paying too much, no Tapu, exorbitant commissions, poor after sales service...? An agent selling you a new development property and certainly 'off-plan' may not charge you a commission at all - however, he may be getting between 10% and 15% commission of your money from the property developer... put that in context of your 'investment' ambition.... hmmmm.

On resale property, if you look at an area like Kas for instance, you will see the same properties advertised on various websites - at different prices. You may be forgiven for thinking that someone is trying to pull a 'fast one' here and which agent should you trust.. Having lived here I know that a property owner will put his property on the market with one agent at a certain price... and then 3 weeks later put it on the market with another agent at a different price - one in Euros, the other in UKP.... then watch the confusion.. and it's not the agent being dodgy at all.

The best policy is to always take the lowest advertised price as a starting point. Talk or email a selection of agents who have the type of property you desire and see and feel the kind of responses you get - too gushy, uninterested, business like, sensible, responsive etc... You will know who you want to deal with (again ex-pats can recommend). At some point you will have to put some trust in someone, otherwise nothing happens.

As long as you understand the process of buying property in Turkey, then your best strategy is using common sense in all dealings.

If I can be of any further assistance, I would be pleased to help.

The old grey wolf

C

cj.lion-emlak

Probably the soundest advice I have seen for a long time.

I am certainly pleased to see that you have found your dream in what is a wonderful part of Turkey.