ad

Is Andy Haldane right about property investment?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
The Bank of England’s chief economist Andy Haldane has suggested that property investment is better than a pension. He believes the less complicated nature of property investment compared to pension funds makes property investment a better long-term investment. Is he right? Should he have said this in public?

N

nmb

I would say that he is only saying in public what many people are saying behind-the-scenes. The pensions system in the UK is so complicated that people are starting to look towards property investment as their future pension fund. What does this say about the UK authorities and their ever-growing appetite for red tape?

R

realdeals

I have done some research into property regulations and they are extremely complicated! My idea is to buy property on a long-term basis and gradually build up my property portfolio. Hopefully this will be my pension fund….

N

nmb

Gordon Brown ruined the UK pension market in one foul swoop when he introduced a tax on pension fund income. This was always supposed to be the way to invest in a tax efficient manner on a long-term basis. It was hoped that eventually this would reduce state pension fund liabilities going forward.