ad

With so many agents how do you choose someone good?

• Thread starter Michelle Barringer
  • Start date
M

Michelle Barringer

Forum Partner
With so many property agents around - how do you personally choose who to talk to and trust?

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
I would go with your gut feeling after a fair amount of due diligence first... Check if the agents are experienced themselves, have they done any past developments themselves you can see? Do they invest themselves? Are there any bad reviews online? Check companies house records and if any of the directors have CCJs e.t.c.

They key is ask the right questions and don't just hand your money over. Transparency and honesty is everything so check the agent isn't being too "salesy" and gives you full answers to any of your questions. If they don't then be suspicious...

Of course anyone can ask on here for the community to give their opinion!

S

sergerybrin

First you don't just hand over the money.Before confirm that he is honest to taking our duty and do it appropraitely.Check his previous records how many deals has to be succeed .

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
My advice would be NEVER hand over any money to an agent. Insist all transactions are done through a lawyer.
There are agents who will insist you pay a deposit to them, then if your lawyer finds a problem with your chosen property they will refuse to refund your deposit.
Insist on an agreement that your deposit is refundable if your lawyer finds a problem. This is especially important when buying property abroad.

N

nmb

One idea is to go for personal recommendations from people you trust but in reality there are no guarantees whatever you do.

Do your homework, search the Internet and make an informed decision after talking to people who have been there and done it with certain firms. Always watch your back and ensure any upfront payments are as small as possible - incentivise the agent to work for you.

T

Terry Love

Choosing the best agents can be a critical affair.There are ways of concluding whether the person sitting across from you is the right material for agent. A person's attitude is the best pointer of how well they will perform on the job.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

I prefer the idea of a personal recommendation although nothing is ever 100% guaranteed.

A

Andrey Sokure

Check reviews of their past deals

Chooose the one who have handle any sale near your neighborhood

Check wether any client filled any complaint against

How long they take to sell your property

Choose agent with negotiable fee

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I would also suggest that when you do find a good agent you stick with them in the longer term and build up a relationship.

D

David Miller

I am also looking Condos. But getting right person is big problem.

S

SByram

Or even better, find an agent that charges no reservation or sourcing fees.

A

Andrey Sokure

I recommened you to take a personal interview of all. Before hiring a real estate agent it is imperative to ask some questions to them. Here are these 10 questions to ask a real estate agent that will help you hire a best and suitable agent according to your rewuirements

Is this your full time job?

Do you handle any sale near my neighborhood?

Has any client filled any complaint against you?

What is your fees and is it negotiable?

Beyond negotiations and Escrow what service do you offer?

Till today how many short-sale transactions and foreclosure have handled?

Can I see reviews of your past deals?

Do you have any reference where I can contact?

What makes you different to other real estate?

How long you take to sell my property?

You must be comfortable with your agent and sell your home stress free. So don't hesitate to ask or share your requirements.(Moderated)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lookinginvest

I would recommend going on reputation and recommendations from respected third parties. In this day and age it is very difficult to hide criticism of a particular company although sometimes we have to take what we read on the Internet with a pinch of salt. However, reputation and recommendations dictate which agent I would use.

Belinda Grashion

Belinda Grashion

Premium Member
Hi! Team BG here!
One of the things Belinda did was to phone the agent and pretend to be a customer to see how they acted e.g. were they welcoming, did they ask the right questions, did they take my contact details, how long would it take to arrange a viewing etc.
This way you can see first hand how they'd act with a potentail buyer/tenant. Recommendations are also great but there's nothing like testing the agents yourself! :)
Good luck
Team BG! xx

D

diyhelp

I think sometimes we make this process more complicated than it should be! Next time I am looking for an agent I will use this little trick.