A high level of tenant turn-over, good or bad?

P

Paula Howard

Do you think a high level in tenant turn-over will become a headache?

L

lookinginvest

Long-term tenants are the jewel in the crown of property investment because there is a cost to finding new tenants in the shape of your time as well as advertising charges. If you have a relatively high turnover of tenants perhaps you need to look at why this is happening and what you could do to change it?

N

nmb

Time taken to find new tenants on a regular basis is time that could be more productively spent elsewhere in relation to your investments. As mentioned above, if you are having a regular high turnover of tenants perhaps you need to ask them why they are moving out? Is your rent out of kilter with the area? Is your property perhaps in need of some repair?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
In the majority of cases where there is a high turnover of tenants there will likely be opportunities to improve the service you offer or perhaps revisit your pricing model. The less time you spend finding new tenants the more time you can spend on your investment portfolio.

B

Ben Kinder

I think it's bad. Get a good tenant and keep them happy. No problems then. Each tenant wants to stamp their own individuality on a place, even if they return it to good condition when they leave, there's inevitably going to be damage to walls etc - the more turnover, the more damage. I'd stick with longterm.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I agree Ben - if there is a high turnover of tenants then ultimately you will also have periods of reduced/zero rental income which will hit your ROI and cash flow.

K

kchiggs

It surprised me there are not more lets with pets for this reason. Dog/cat owners are more likely to be stable, offers a lot of tenants otherwise missed, are usually prepared to pay extra and insurance and deep cleaning (at least on non carpet accomadation is readily available)

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I agree - pet owners tend to put their animals first and are likely to want a settled home for their animals as opposed to moving on a regular basis. This could be a market which has been overlooked, especially when you consider that in the UK we spend more per pet than anywhere else in the world :)

D

diyhelp

Going back to the original question I can't see a situation where a high turnover of tenants can be good? Reliable long term tenants are like gold dust - and save on advertising costs for new tenants as well as eliminating periods when a property is empty and producing no income.