ad

What would you prefer, a small business rented office or working from home?

N

nmb

Over the last 20 years there has been talk of more and more people working from home to cut costs with the Internet having a massive impact on the employment market. However, we’ve also seen a large rise in the number of small business rented offices which offer entrepreneurs the opportunity to separate their working and home life.

What would you prefer, a small business rented office or working from home?

E

Ed_P

I do a little bit of freelance writing on the side as I finish university and must admit that I certainly enjoy working from home, but I am not sure how viable it would be for me in the long-term due to the fact that I can imagine it would be difficult to maintain levels of motivation on a consistent basis.

I am based in Brighton and there are plenty of start-ups here and plenty of hot desk space available throughout the city that is very convenient for those who require it. I have a friend who works in one such space near to Palmeria Sq here and the office he uses is decorated in a such a way that it creates the perfect environment for him to work in.

There are a host of brightly coloured folding tables that really make the room look amazing, I tried to find a picture I can't so found these (moderated) there is also a 'chill-out' zone with comfortable sofas and chairs and gives those who use the space an area where they can exchange and fire ideas off of each other.

I currently a mature student at uni (29 years old) and intend to try and start-up my freelance business after the summer; I suspect that I will take advantage of the spaces available in the city when I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nmb

My personal experience is that working from home does have its attractions in the early days but it can be very easy to become less focused on work time, family time, etc. I am now of the mindset that when I go to my office, just a couple of miles from my home, I am there to work. When I go home this is family time although there are occasions where I do work from home. On the whole, the value of having a gap between your working life and your personal life should not be underestimated.

H

Holly Watson

Administrator
Premium Member
I think working from home is very beneficial, but it can be quite anti-social and lonely at other times, so it's nice when you can pop into the office and catch up with colleagues properly.

I think it's essential to have a 'work space' to keep that concentration up and home life separate. So whether it's having a desk in your room, a study or an out-house. An out-house would be ideal if you are going to commit to working from home long term. It allows you to take business calls in silence, room for filing and stops the distraction from family or say the dog! It would also give you that feeling of 'leaving' the house to work.

A personal highlight of working from home for me is being about to nip in the kitchen for lunch, rather than handmade soggy sandwiches. Also the money you save on travel!

L

lookinginvest

My advice is to ensure that everybody knows the situation, when you are working, when you cannot be disturbed and try to get yourself into a routine with regards to working hours. It is now fairly easy and inexpensive to build an office in your garden area which will allow you to physically separate home life from your working life. Those who think they can work in their house while everybody else is around will have some shocks in the future!