Go Back   Property Forum > Property Investment > European property > Cyprus property

Cyprus property Considering investing in a property in Cyprus? Discuss issues on the Cyprus property market, reunification issues, legal and financial process, investment returns and more

Cyprus remortgages??


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Please update your flags here .

Users Flag! Interested in property in cyprus
Wink Cyprus remortgages??

Can anyone shed any light on remortgage deals available on properties in Cyprus.

I have a repayment mortgage on a property near Larnaca, and our mortgage currently with Alpha Bank is on a rate of 7.05%!!

I have made a few enquiries into switching this to maybe interest only (which we have been told is no longer available due to current financial climate)...and also just a straight switch to another competitve rate....all with no sucsess.

It seems we are being held at gun point with this deal, and do not know where to turn to try and obtain a better deal, as the one we are currently paying is way too high considering most countries mortgage rates have plummeted!!

Would appreciate any advice from people.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Veronica's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Konia, Paphos
Posts: 1,007
Users Flag! Residing in cyprus
Users Flag! Interested in property in cyprus
20 likes received
31 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmacca View Post
Can anyone shed any light on remortgage deals available on properties in Cyprus.

I have a repayment mortgage on a property near Larnaca, and our mortgage currently with Alpha Bank is on a rate of 7.05%!!

I have made a few enquiries into switching this to maybe interest only (which we have been told is no longer available due to current financial climate)...and also just a straight switch to another competitve rate....all with no sucsess.

It seems we are being held at gun point with this deal, and do not know where to turn to try and obtain a better deal, as the one we are currently paying is way too high considering most countries mortgage rates have plummeted!!

Would appreciate any advice from people.

Neil all the banks in Cyprus are currently very reluctant to give mortagages at all.
You are very lucky to have a mortgage as many people are being turned down even with 50% downpayments.
My advice is to ride out the storm for the time being. We have clients who have been waiting for 6 months for a mortgage despite a good downpayment and very good earnings. Another client has been forced to pull out of their purchase as the bank has changed the goalposts at the last minute.
Alpha bank is one that is just not giving mortgages at all and we have been told that is thanks to one particular developer owing them half a billion.
Not sure how true that is but it wouldnt surprise me knowing the developer concerend
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
Please update your flags here .

Users Flag! Interested in property in brazil
Default

Hello,

Any chance of disclosing which developer that is concerned. I'm a little concerned myself after purchasing a property in Oroklini 4 years ago and stil waiting on the title deeds.

Frank
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
Please update your flags here .

Users Flag! Interested in property in brazil
Default Emporiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
Neil all the banks in Cyprus are currently very reluctant to give mortagages at all.
You are very lucky to have a mortgage as many people are being turned down even with 50% downpayments.
My advice is to ride out the storm for the time being. We have clients who have been waiting for 6 months for a mortgage despite a good downpayment and very good earnings. Another client has been forced to pull out of their purchase as the bank has changed the goalposts at the last minute.
Alpha bank is one that is just not giving mortgages at all and we have been told that is thanks to one particular developer owing them half a billion.
Not sure how true that is but it wouldnt surprise me knowing the developer concerend
I received a 15 year loan from Emporiki Bank 4 years ago on the base rate + 1.6%. I renogotiated this down to base rate plus 1.25% after getting a qoute from the Laiki Bank 18 months ago. In November 2008 I received letter from Emporiki stating due to the terms and conditions they were increasing the spread from 1.25% to 3.5% bearing in mind the base rate was around 1.5% at the time (Total rate of 5%).

I argued my case to them until I was blue in the face with several lengthy phone calls, emails and flying over to have a meeting with the Credit Control manger in my branch. I argued the point that the U.K. had dropped there rates to 0.5% and all the banks were passing on these cuts so how can they justify the increase? I also went to several other banks who said which could not compete with the rate I was on.

I received another letter in February 2009 that they were again increasing the spread and I am now on total rate of 5.5%. Again I argued my case with no results. As far as I was led to believe when I took out the loan I would pay the base rate plus 1.6% spread (renegotiated to 1.25%) for the total length of the loan. They changed the goal posts to suit themselves basically and as there was small print in the contract stating they could basically do what they wanted when they wanted I don't have a leg to stand on. So in principle although my loan should be lower they have also told me that any future mortgages to expats would be going out at 7% - 7.5% so they stated I was lucky. They did offer remortgage but stated I would go up to higher 7% rate everyone else was on. They have only kept me on the lower rate because they said I have been with them for a few years and an excellent customer.

How long this lasts though is anyones guess; and although it feels unfair I count myself lucky compared to new clients. By all means keep looking and trying for a rduced rate but I would say ride it out and renogotiate when the market changes again but this could be years??

Frank
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Veronica's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Konia, Paphos
Posts: 1,007
Users Flag! Residing in cyprus
Users Flag! Interested in property in cyprus
20 likes received
31 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankburke8 View Post
Hello,

Any chance of disclosing which developer that is concerned. I'm a little concerned myself after purchasing a property in Oroklini 4 years ago and stil waiting on the title deeds.

Frank
Its a developer that builds in the paphos area frank so should not affect you in any way.
__________________
www.elysianfieldsproperties.com
Helping people to find the perfect property to buy or rent in Cyprus
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about buying property in North Cyprus - but worried! colby Cyprus property 17 19-12-2008 01:15 AM
North Cyprus Property Hotspot 2007!! deedee1 Cyprus property 30 27-04-2008 08:05 AM
Anybody Buying off-plan in Cyprus - Beware! Janoulaki Cyprus property 9 24-11-2007 12:19 AM
Southern Cyprus Property Boom Sasha Buying overseas property 4 15-10-2007 06:15 PM
Its Booming In Cyprus Sasha Buying overseas property 0 28-04-2007 01:24 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.
FORUM PARTNERS
Property Forum is owned and operated by the Forum Websites Limited Group.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Cyprus Property Forum
Cyprus Property News
Unanswered Posts
Cyprus Property For Sale
Cyprus Rental Property
Cheap International Calls
Currency Exchange Tools

Premium Account Benefits
Premium Member Benefits

Sub Forums:

Australia Property ForumAustralia Property
Brazil Property ForumBrazil Property
Bulgaria Property ForumBulgaria Property
Dubai Property ForumCyprus Property
Dubai Property Forum
Dubai Property
French Property ForumFrench Property
German Property ForumGerman Property
Greek Property ForumGreek Property
Morocco Property ForumMorocco Property
Portugal Property ForumPortugal Property
Spanish Property ForumSpanish Property
Turkey Property ForumTurkey Property
UK Property ForumUK Property

Premium SubscriptionList Your Properties With a Premium Membership



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO